Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• zig
    United Kingdom 

Effectiveness of Spare Wheel Winch With Anti-Theft Design

Is the updated design of spare wheel winch with anti-theft features effective in minimising the theft of alloy wheels?

When was the modified design introduced into new build vehicles and is there anyway that it can be identified if it is fitted to a vehicle?

Is there any benefit in fitting a spare wheel anti-theft protection disc if the updated design of spare wheel winch is fitted?
  • Trevorb1
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 SE Corris Grey

I believe the modified winch came in as a running change during 18my, and LR also supplied a disc to try and stop cable being cut. Spare wheels have continued to be stolen with the revised parts, a "top hat" type of protection plate is still the best solution, Powrful UK and RLD amoung others sell this design of plate which completely shields the end of the winch cable making physical attack very difficult. I'm using the plate that I originally bought for my D4, its now on its 3rd D5 aswell.

24MY D300 Dynamic SE, Fuji White, Deployable Towbar, full size spare.
    Gone 20MY SDV6 Landmark, Indus Silver, Deployable Towbar, 360 Cameras
  • JonM
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

LR made theft more difficult, but never stopped it.

The RLD plate is the only proven solution. Like Trevorb1, I bought mine for my D4 and it's now on my second D5. I took the LR supplied plate off as it didn't provide as much protection.

MY2022 D5 HSE D300 - with extra nice bits added
    MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - sold to a dealer for a crazy price!
  • thrillernight
    Australia 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Fuji White

The standard LR setup seemed good at first but from what I've read here it's not that great. Thinking of upgrading but prices are putting me off a bit.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum