Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Tin Basher
    United Kingdom 

Towing?

Hello.
    I currently have a D4 SE which I occasionally use to tow a small twin axle car trailer that will be approximately 1000kg loaded. Basically the D4 does not know it has the trailer attached and is extremely stable at speed. I also have a much larger triple axle Brian James trailer that I very occasionally use to transport vintage cars. With this trailer the D4 obviously does see the weight increase but is still very stable and a competent tow vehicle.
    I have read the other threads relating to towing and have started a new thread as I did not wish to hijack that one. I am considering swapping to a D5 but I am very concerned about the reports of people having trouble towing caravans. None of my trailers have anti snake attachments but still tow incredibly well with the D4. Before swapping I really need to establish if the D5 is up to my requirements, if not its simply a non starter for me.
    So does anyone have any user experience with a D5 towing larger loaded trailers?
    Thanks.
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

Does your dealer not have a demonstrator with a tow hook?

It is probably the best way to find with your own trailer?
  • Craigp
    England 

Can't help you with that, but have you considered approaching you dealer to do a extended test with demo vehicles. That way you will experience it yourself. I've one on order was due sometime ago and got it to tow both a caravan and a boat. Like you the boat dosnt have and anti snake equipment.
  • Craigp
    England 

Damm beaten to it Laughing
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

I used fewer words... Rolling with laughter
  • Tin Basher
    United Kingdom 

I have asked the dealership if they have a demo with tow bar and they don't. Furthermore they say they are not permitted to tow trailers on demo?

Does anyone know a dealership that does have this facility and would be willing to let me try my trailers?

I would have thought LR would have tested, tested and tested some more with trailers when developing the D5?
  • B16 KJR
    Scotland 

If I were you, I really wouldn't make a decision until you have actually tried it for yourself as I did, following which, I decided that unfortunately, the D5 wasn't the towcar for me. I got a 2 day extended test drive from Lloyds in Kelso, but I had to arrange my own insurance to cover me for towing.
  • AndrewS
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Silicon Silver

Currently towing a 6m long twin axle and car is rock solid regardless of speed. Its empty at the moment. Will report back when loaded.

• Phil
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

My wife was out with our car and the horse trailer today.

Combination of motorway, dual carriageway, fast A roads and even a bit of country lanes. She has reported back that the car was just as sure footed and safe as our old D4, if anything it was a little sharper accelerating and braking. Thumbs Up

Trailer and 2 horses weighs around 2.2 - 2.5 Tonnes (Ifor Williams), no AlKo hitch or other stability device fitted.

Next week we will be out with the caravan, only weighs 1.6 Tonnes but has a AlKo Hitch and ATS electronic stability control system so a different set-up.

So far so good Wink

Disco 5 First Edition, Namib Orange,
  • AndrewS
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Silicon Silver

Spent the last 16 hours with the D5 towing the twin axle trailer. Had various loads on different roads.
    The car never missed a beat no issues at all.
    IMO Its better than the D3/4 as the brakes are vastly improved and the engine is more powerful.
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

That's good too hear guys Thumbs Up
  • Tin Basher
    United Kingdom 

Gents, thank you all for your feed back, much appreciated.
  • Craigp
    England 

Hi, picked the car up yesterday morning managed to put about 70 miles on it solo before hitching up caravan its a twin axle, approx 2 ton for a 300 mile trip to Scotland (1st leg) caravan towed ok no dramas. Only thing I did notice is when a big truck went past it did suck me in, never really noticed it with the D4 I have experienced this with other cars I've had but not the D4. So yes maybe a little more twitchy. However I should point out that I changed my caravan in November so not used it that much and whilst I thought this caravan a little more unsteady then my last one I can't remember it getting sucked in like experienced today. But it's really not a problem just have to watch what's coming. I was perhaps also getting overtaken more often than usual as keeping around 50mph did take it up to 60 no snaking experienced at any speed.
  • pdes
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Santorini Black

AndrewS wrote:
    Currently towing a 6m long twin axle and car is rock solid regardless of speed. Its empty at the moment. Will report back when loaded.

Crucially though, as it's a trailer and not a caravan, the centre of gravity is as low as possible and therefore will be much more stable. Personally though, I would still be interested in how the trailer performs with weight distribution.

D5 HSE SDi6, 2019, Santorini Black, privacy glass, HUD, loads of gizmos!! 😃😃😃
    Series 1, 1953, 86"
  • pdes
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Santorini Black

Out of interest, does Tow Assist (not Advanced) change any of the car characteristics when towing? My car does not show that a trailer has been attached other than the fact that the trailer flasher lights up when indicating.

D5 HSE SDi6, 2019, Santorini Black, privacy glass, HUD, loads of gizmos!! 😃😃😃
    Series 1, 1953, 86"
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum