Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Engine Noise

Is anyone else getting a constant whining/droning noise being emitted from the engine bay. Can be clearly heard when sitting inside and on the move. It's really annoying and doesn't sound right. Never had this issue before, until the engine problem crept up again a few days back. It now sounds as if the engine is struggling for some reason.?? Sad
  • Phil B
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Aruba

Mine sounds like its straining, although performance isn't affected. I think it may be a feature of the sound deadening

Mar 2017 HSE Luxury,
    Dynamic Pack - Aruba
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

Hi Phil,
    no loss in power either, although am just pootling around town at 30mph.

I dont think its got anything too do with the sound deadening either, otherwise it would have been like that from day 1, plus deadening is suppossed to make it quieter, not louder Rolling Eyes
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

All quite here

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

Censored Censored Censored Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry
  • Huxey
    Canada 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Dude, why are you still complaining? Ditch the car and start smiling again. Waiting for another First Edition sticker is not worth you having a stroke. Laughing

HSE Lux TD6 Carpathian Grey, 20" Black Pack + loaded with options.
    Previously: 2011 BMW X5 MSport 35i Carbon Black
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

Am not complaining, just asking and making others aware, as I dont want them going through the same crap am having too go through that's all. Plus I assumed this was the place too vent out your anger, frustrations and complaints. If you heard me complaining you would know about it. The D5 would be going through the show room window Rolling with laughter
  • J77
    Scotland 

Taggarts can back that up 😂

Just done 1000 mile road trip and all sounds quite.

Should've bought an Orange one.

18MY Velar R-Dynamic SE D240 Fuji White
  • Sacimiddx
    United Kingdom 

All good here
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

Still whining and droning away, even when in Park
    So annoying Censored

Last edited by Road Runner 2017 on 30th Apr 2017 8:55 am. Edited 1 time in total
  • Sacimiddx
    United Kingdom 

After 10 or so discos 3 and 4, 1 RRS2 and last a FFRR I went for the D5 hoping that it would meet my expectations as the perfect vehicle for me - as a 7 seat more practical FFRR

So far in the first 10 days and 1000miles it has exceeded expectations and. No rattles very refined and insulated from road, nice slightly firm positive drive, economical for the late bast it is
    the vehicle faultless...... so far

I am very picky about my vehicles and it is the luck of the draw with LR which is frankly not acceptable
    I have had both good and bad ones

If I had some of the problems outlined by others I would have been fuming and
    If I do get problems I will switch back to a 2 or 3 year old FFRR on which hopefully the problems will have been sorted !

And if more problems still then out of brand and back to Toyota I'm afraid, classless by comparison but also bulletproof by comparison

Desirable but unreliable is not a great strapline for a brand
  • PeterW
    England 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Corris Grey

Road Runner 2017 wrote:
    Still whining and droning away, even when in neutral
    So annoying Censored

Just a thought, has it got the optional FBH fitted? It made all sorts of noises in my D4. Especially at tick over & after shutdown.

Peter
    HSE 3.0 V6 Diesel Corris Grey
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

Sacimiddx wrote:
    After 10 or so discos 3 and 4, 1 RRS2 and last a FFRR I went for the D5 hoping that it would meet my expectations as the perfect vehicle for me - as a 7 seat more practical FFRR

So far in the first 10 days and 1000miles it has exceeded expectations and. No rattles very refined and insulated from road, nice slightly firm positive drive, economical for the late bast it is
    the vehicle faultless...... so far

I am very picky about my vehicles and it is the luck of the draw with LR which is frankly not acceptable
    I have had both good and bad ones

If I had some of the problems outlined by others I would have been fuming and
    If I do get problems I will switch back to a 2 or 3 year old FFRR on which hopefully the problems will have been sorted !

And if more problems still then out of brand and back to Toyota I'm afraid, classless by comparison but also bulletproof by comparison

Desirable but unreliable is not a great strapline for a brand

Yes I totally agree it's hit and miss what car you get from a perfect one too a lemon. The 2l Hse D5 I had as a courtesy car never missed a beat no rattles or squeaks and wafted along nicely, with no engine issues. The Evoque loan car was also no problem at all. Mrs D4 was also fault free, hence from previous experience assumed the D5 too be the perfect upgrade. Like yourself am quite picky with my cars, especially as we are spending a small fortune on them, who wouldnt be picky.??? You would not accept substandard service at a restaurant for a £50 meal, would you, so why would you be expected to put up with it on a car which is alot more expensive?? Sad

I have always favoured the likes of Audi and BMW car wise but made a switch too Japenese cars 15 years ago. I have never looked back, plus getting alot more for your money as the German marques accessories are astronomical. Basically getting a Japanese car for half the price of a German one, with alot more toys. Not too mention getting permanent AWD and a bomb proof engine. Yes 4x4s like the Toyota pickups are alot less refined and have a agricultural engines compared too the LR, but they are designed as a workhorse. May not cut the mustard on or offroad compared too a LR, but the engines are rock solid. We had 2 at work used daily. Never missed a beat but hard as nails and basically did what it said on the tin. I have never owned a part time 4x2, as too me the LR is the only true 4x4 out there, but if they got there act together with the hit n miss cars it would make life alot easier for themselves and their customers. Must cost LR a fortune will all the recalls. If they did their homework from the outset then this would not happen. I realise that cars will always have minor niggles but surely with all the technology around and the LR heritage and pedigree, things should not be this bad?? Sad

I bet Her Majesty's ones are checked over several times compared too our ones, before they are handed over, but i did see in the papers a few years back that Prince Charles brand new Aston Martin broke down the same day he picked it up. Furious he was so the story went. Seems not even royalty are immune too receiving a faulty car, so what hope have we peasants got?? 🍋 Rolling with laughter
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

PeterW wrote:
    Road Runner 2017 wrote:
    So annoying Censored

Just a thought, has it got the optional FBH fitted? It made all sorts of noises in my D4. Especially at tick over & after shutdown.

Hi Peter I never ticked the options box for it, but am pretty sure I have it as the D4 had it. Yes I do get a whirring noise like an electric motor powering down after shut down but the droning noise only started when we had round 2 of the smoke last week. Never happened before. I just think it's a knock on effect of what's already happened as the sound was definitely not there when I picked the car up, nor was the sound on the Hse demo. Just awaiting round 3 of the smoke issue and see what happens too the noise. It may get worse or even disappear totally. Rolling Eyes
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

[quote="PeterW"]
    Road Runner 2017 wrote:
    So annoying Censored

Never had any issues with it on the D4 as far as I can remember the car was absolutely superb and faultless. Thumbs Up
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum