Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

D5 Tuning.

Sounds tempting as I would prefer 300 bhp instead of the 258 initally, equating too 100bhp per litre, Thumbs Up Mind you with all my engine issues it's the last thing I would do, plus probably invalidate your warranty if they scanned the engine for any remapping which is the first thing they do if you have an engine fault. Not sure as some places you can purchase a piggy back ecu (remapping chip) which is simply plug n play and can't be detected by the LR diagnostics, and can be easily reset yourself if LR wipe over it when doing a diagnostics check. Saves a trip back too the tuner and £sss Whistle
  • DiscoStu
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

That engine runs at 300 brake in Jags, straight from the factory.

MY19 Silver HSE Lux SDV6
    MY19 Carpathian Grey HSE Lux SDV6 - gone, MY18 Carpathian Grey HSE Lux TDV6 - gone
  • RDR
    United Kingdom 

It can probably quite do a bit more the 300 too. I wonder if they will introduce SVO editions with better Engine Maps.

Heres a thought for Landrover, do what Tesla do for customers and sell over the air SVO Branded engine Remaps Thumbs Up
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

DiscoStu wrote:

Yes seems strange why they have dumbed it down for the D5. Someone already mentioned on the posts earlier than the RRS I think has 300 bhp from the same engine. Looks like we are getting shortchanged. Big Cry
  • RDR
    United Kingdom 

It's been like that before with the RRS. The RRS 1 had the same engine but more power, I think they do it from a model positioning perspective. You cant have a disco with the same performance numbers as a Range Rover sport otherwise on paper the disco could be deemed a better buy etc.
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

RDR, that makes sense if that's the case.
    Mind you in my opinion, the more bhp the better as the D5 is a big machine, and that extras horses would pay dividends if your towing a heavy trailer or a caravan.
    Am not sure if unlocking the engines Bhp too it's standard output constitutes a remap though as it's not!!
    So it should not void the warranty.
    I have had all my cars remapped from the manufacturer, which still validated my warranty, as it was done using approved parts like PRODRIVE and PRO R, adding an additional 40 bhp everytime, and taking 1 sec off the 0-60 sprint. I can tell you makes a world of difference, especially for overtaking. Doesn't seem a lot 1 second, but too put it into perspective, if you're travelling at 70/80 mph for 1 sec, you will easily cover the breadth of a football pitch, possibly even the length. That's food for thought Thumbs Up
  • DiscoStu
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Road Runner 2017 wrote:
    DiscoStu wrote:

Yes seems strange why they have dumbed it down for the D5. Someone already mentioned on the posts earlier than the RRS I think has 300 bhp from the same engine. Looks like we are getting shortchanged. Big Cry

With European emissions rules introducing fines per vehicle for manufacturers shortly, it makes sense.

https://ec.europa.eu/clima/policies/transport/vehicles/cars_en

MY19 Silver HSE Lux SDV6
    MY19 Carpathian Grey HSE Lux SDV6 - gone, MY18 Carpathian Grey HSE Lux TDV6 - gone
  • RDR
    United Kingdom 

I know where your coming from.

Remap is probably the wrong term now days as it is just a case of tweaking parameters in configuration files. If Landrover offered the " unlock" of features and additional power after purchase it would be great.
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

That would be the first option i would tick on the list if that was the case. Laughing Thumbs Up

Am having too adjust my driving skills as the D5 is over 3 secs slower 0-60 mph than my car, and am having too put the foot down alot further back when overtaking too let the turbo spool up for a safe overtaking manouvre.

Missing the explosive overtaking the car has, but at the end of the day, the D5 is alot bigger and heavier and a diesel, and not meant for speed as such Laughing
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

Does changing down with the paddles not help?
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

Hi Jim, i tried the paddles on the 2 l HSE i had as a loan car, hence i still was having too put the foot down regardless for safe overtaking.

I have not had the pleasure too unleash a fully run in 3 litre yet .

Not tried it with my car, as only done a measly 300 miles, and not even run in yet. Not sure how much more oomph 18 bhp will make over the 2 l, but the torque for the 3 litre is impressive over the 2 litre, plus i dont want it bursting into flames knowing my luck Sad
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

Good Point!! Thumbs Up Thud
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

I ended up disconnecting the battery just too be safe after the 2nd smoking issue last week. I dont want my garage burning down or other vehicles catching fire as well when parked indoors Sad
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

Stating an extra 34 bhp for the 258 bhp 3l diesel and 60 bhp increase for 340 bhp 3l petrol. That's 400 bhp in total Very Happy

Still roughly 125 bhp less than the SVX but alot cheaper Laughing

Any of you guys had dealings with the company, and if so were they any good?? Thumbs Up

Hmmmm I wonder if the owner is on the forum, or wants too remain incognito for obvious purposes Whistle
  • Chrismcnaz
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Loire Blue

Re: D5 Tuning.

Road Runner 2017 wrote:

Sounds tempting as I would prefer 300 bhp instead of the 258 initally, equating too 100bhp per litre, Thumbs Up Mind you with all my engine issues it's the last thing I would do, plus probably invalidate your warranty if they scanned the engine for any remapping which is the first thing they do if you have an engine fault. Not sure as some places you can purchase a piggy back ecu (remapping chip) which is simply plug n play and can't be detected by the LR diagnostics, and can be easily reset yourself if LR wipe over it when doing a diagnostics check. Saves a trip back too the tuner and £sss Whistle

Beware of these tuning boxes as they used to just up the injector pressure to get the extra power rather than actually changing boost parameters etc. The extra pressure leads to premature injector wear and a large bill for replacement! Ask me how i know Rolling Eyes I'm loving the idea of more power though.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum