Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• pdes
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Santorini Black

Navigation confusion.

Recently, I hitched up the caravan and set off to Hampshire to visit some friends. I entered their postcode and trusted the navigation system. Unfortunately, we ended up being directed down a number of tiny one-track lanes. No fun with an 8 metre caravan in tow! I knew that our final destination was just a mile or so off the motorway along a couple of A roads.

Naturally, I assumed that I had set the preferences incorrectly and started to look at the settings. In addition, I also looked at the handbook (many times!) and tried to find detailed instructions in the web-based manual which was next to useless.

What's confusing is that the handbook says that the route preferences should be selected to AVOID a feature whereas the Incontrol screen says INCLUDE, i.e. tick/select to include a feature. One must be wrong! In all other GPSs, it has been the convention to select the preferences, not select to avoid certain features such as ferries and motorways.

I have run a few routes with and without "motorways" being selected and have proved that the on-screen preferences which say "include" i.e. tick a feature to include are correct. Therefore, it looks to me that the written instructions are the opposite and therefore wrong.

Has this been picked up by anyone else? Am I totally mis-reading something?

D5 HSE SDi6, 2019, Santorini Black, privacy glass, HUD, loads of gizmos!! 😃😃😃
    Series 1, 1953, 86"
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

My sat nav told me to go right when I had to go left. I just followed the sat nav and ended up on the motorway and even when I went back off the motorway it was still saying go right, even though the signposts clearly said otherwise. The postcode was correct I may add Shocked
  • J77
    Scotland 

LRs sat nav has been rubbish since the day they started fitting them regardless of the system.

18MY Velar R-Dynamic SE D240 Fuji White
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Yes tell me about it. The one on the D4 was a waste of time also. Resorted to carrying a physical copy of the the AA road map instead, not to mention the prices charged for upgrading the satnav.

Tom Tom has free lifetime updates. Thumbs Up
  • Teemo
    United Kingdom 

At least you get 3 years worth of free updates (quarterly) with your D5 - no need to shell out 200 quid every time.

Simple procedure to update as well:
    https://disco5.co.uk/forum/thread567.html

Although system takes a couple of seconds longer to initialise after the update and it took about 20 minutes to recognise my iPod Touch again which was connected by USB.
  • pdes
    United Kingdom 

This slid off topic! Any comments on the observations in the OP?

Series 1, 1953, 86"
  • J77
    Scotland 

My one has the standard system and it has AVOID.

• pdes
    United Kingdom 

I ran a couple of tests this evening and set up a route to Glasgow. If I selected "motorways", the route was a pretty direct route using motorways. When I deselected "motorways", motorways were left off the route where it was practical. Therefore selecting a map preference, i.e. ticking it, includes the preference and doesn't avoid it, contrary to the manual.

Happy to be proved wrong Shocked

Series 1, 1953, 86"
  • J77
    Scotland 

It wouldn't surprise me with LR if they've cocked the manual up

• pdes
    United Kingdom 

To prove my point:

Here's an extract from the web-based Route planner. Preferences to be included when selected.

Extract from the manual.

QED Razz

Series 1, 1953, 86"
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

Being generous, that could be regarded as an ambiguous statement!! Whistle
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum