Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• RyanRC
    United States 

Speculations on SVO/SVX Off Road version?

Hello all

All in all as the Discovery as it is now has so much capabilities for this already and as I don't have that much history with Land Rovers or with what the SVO division has done to them in the past, I was just wondering if any here with more of that, that might have some speculation thoughts as to what LR might be planning for the Off Road SVO version of the Discovery?

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1017789...-treatment

Am kinda hoping for some fun stuff and am guessing we could possibly even buy just some of these upgrades if we wanted to and put them on our non-SVO version?

As well who knows, perhaps some of their people might read this and get some ideas on what we would like to see.

To start off, does anyone think they might do some kind of a lift kit?
  • ~Rich~
    Australia 

Graeme from LLAMS will have a Height Controller kit available for the D5.
    http://www.llams.com.au/
  • Tim in Scotland
    United Kingdom 

SVO models are cars taken off the production line and rebuilt to the customer's requirements. So far it is available only on 2 Range Rover models - SVR RRS and SVO Full Fat RR Autobiography - and 1 Jaguar - F Type SVR. You cannot buy SVR bits as aftermarket fit ons they are only fitted/ modified at the factory. SVO has been on the go for at least 30 years modifying Defenders, Discovery and Range Rovers for the Diplomatic Service (usually armouring them), the UK's utility companies (Mostly Defenders converted to the needs of the Electricity suppliers and Gas/Water companies.) and wealthy individuals who want a very expensive paint job carried out to the their car (It was originally called The Autobiography Service and was only available for FFRR)
    RRS and F Type SVR's are standard model built on the normal production line - an SVO SVR is a different beast where the SVR model is taken off the production line moved to SVO and modified to the owner's requirements and it is not a cheap service but basically (within reason and subject to having enough money) LR's SVO will carry out a Kahn or Overfinch style remodelling of your car. I doubt very much that there will be a SVR Discovery and there are doubts about the developement/existence of an SVR F Pace now.
    LR is able to sell every SVR F Type and RRS that rolls down the lines despite their huge cost. There are a lot fewer SVO RRS's around but they are out there, usually painted in non-standard colours and with rebuilt interiors. One of the RRSport.co.uk members had his car given the SVO treatment but you would be hard pressed to tell the difference between it and a standard SVR RRS from the exterior. Land Rover recently got into a spot of bother by publicly stating that they wanted to drive the likes of Kahn out of the Land Rover modifying business..........

BTW "fake" SVR RRS's have been reported over on RRSport, usually based low spec L494 SDv6 HSEs so there are companies making and selling replica bits. Same thing happened in the early days of L320 RRS when people were faking Supercharged models based on the 2.7 TDv6................
  • RyanRC
    United States 

Thanks greatly for all that info Tim, took me a bit to understand it all, but is a lot more then I knew before.

The only thing I might ask though is from my reading of things...where much like you stated if I understood you correctly in that where there is first the SVO division...that then can break off into others where they may or may not be more production line where that could determine a lot of things.....that this line to is basically going to be something new from those others which is the SVX line and that the purpose of this SVO line is to upgrade which ever Land Rover that is for more offroad purposes.

So am just wondering and certainly remains to be seen, but I do wonder just what all that could mean as if its say something like a Winch could be a LR off the shelf option like some other...I wonder if that would not eventually be something we could have the dealer put on just that one part?

I guess my wondering is based on but not limited to the thread here on winches for the idea of it it were a modification made by the owner what that would say do to the warranties or the insurance issues that could come up.

But if its something that is possible to get with the car even if it just happens to be a different model that was then installed by the dealer, I'm guessing it would cover those two points?
  • RyanRC
    United States 

~Rich~ wrote:
    Graeme from LLAMS will have a Height Controller kit available for the D5.
    http://www.llams.com.au/
    I think it would be great to have something like this, but was just thinking more like I probably over explained above about things we might be able to purchase from the dealer and have them installed by them.

I'm sure this does not apply to all, but the thing I would seriously think about for a car I paid possibly $80.000 for is to not do things to it that might void the Warren.

Is funny as I even was thinking about some kind of replacement tires and wheels, but as part of that thought was think of other LR model wheel that might fit.

But essentially made sure to ask if just even doing that and replacing the tires with something else would create an warranty issues. To which I was told would not.

So again, it may not be a matter for some, but was just hoping if there was some upgrades we could make that came from the dealer, I just think those might be less of a issue for not only warranty issue, but perhaps eve4n insurance issues as well.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum