Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Huxey
    Canada 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Deployable side steps: yes or no?

Hi folks. Just noticed you can now get power deployable side steps. What are people's thoughts on them? I kinda like the look of the fixed steps but I do plan on taking my D5 off-road. Would the deployable steps provide higher ground clearance? Are they as sturdy as the fixed ones? Would like to hear opinions from you. Thanks!

HSE Lux TD6 Carpathian Grey, 20" Black Pack + loaded with options.
    Previously: 2011 BMW X5 MSport 35i Carbon Black
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Can you send the link for the deployable sidesteps please, as not showing on the UK builder, or is this just country specific ??

Cheers Thumbs Up
  • NicSymonds
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

2017 HSE Luxury
    (2012 D4 HSE, 2006 D3 SE, 2001 D2 ES)
  • v2cjb
    United Kingdom 

Nice. But to much money for my liking.
  • v2cjb
    United Kingdom 

I like mine with fixed steps.
  • v2cjb
    United Kingdom 

• DiscoStu
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

No good off-road though. Ken, what's ground clearance like on deployables?

MY19 Silver HSE Lux SDV6
    MY19 Carpathian Grey HSE Lux SDV6 - gone, MY18 Carpathian Grey HSE Lux TDV6 - gone
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

It should not reduce it by much, here is a video of the Sport with them.

• Scrumps
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Firenze Red

Hi,

I have deployable's on my RRS2 AB and I think they are great. No - I don't plan on doing serious off-roading but they do make jacking the car up with a trolley jack much easier as the brackets become the jacking point. Making them stay out so you can use them to reach up to wash the roof is also a benefit for those of us that are vertically challenged.

There are 6 parts required - 2 treads (Discovery branded) - 2 sets of bracket (L & R) a cable loom and the ECU. They will need fitting an configuring.

Parts come to £2160 inc VAT plus fitting - no time was given but based on the RRS needing 5hr ( I think) then you'll be looking at the thick end of £2800 all-in.

I'm sure there's deals to be done - but some of the parts aren't available yet either.

Scrumps

Somerset - Where the apples do grow and the cider do flow!
    17MY D5 HSE / 16MY RRS2 A/B / 05 Defender90 CSW
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

v2cjb wrote:

Can I ask where you got your side steps from and how much including fitting??

Look alot chunkier than the LR ones.

Thanks Smile
  • ken
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Montalcino Red

DiscoStu wrote:
    No good off-road though. Ken, what's ground clearance like on deployables?

Stu don't know about the L462 the L405 is fine (save for heavy Tixover type of fun) no issues with Green lanes (the Salisbury type) its the hinge/jacking point that's about 1 - 1/2 inches lower

Have the Bower for proper Mud though Thumbs Up
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

Re: Deployable side steps: yes or no?

Huxey wrote:
    Hi folks. Just noticed you can now get power deployable side steps. What are people's thoughts on them? I kinda like the look of the fixed steps but I do plan on taking my D5 off-road. Would the deployable steps provide higher ground clearance? Are they as sturdy as the fixed ones? Would like to hear opinions from you. Thanks!

There is a beter option coming soon Whistle
    Prospeed have nearly finished their design stage and will soon have the first pre production set to fit to a D5 Whistle once the trial fit has been completed and all issues resolved they will be coming on here as they are on the other Disco sites and we will be able to buy them
    The work involved is huge as the design LR have v=come up with creates lots of issues like the massive copper bus bar running under neath on one side, this has to be overcome etc

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • v2cjb
    United Kingdom 

Roadrunner I got them from sidesteps uk. Really pleased with them. £450 delivered and an took me an hour and a half to fit. Really easy. All holes already drilled. I chose these as I wanted all black as the Land Rover Ones have a silver trim on them.
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

Thanks for that. I will look on the website. Certainly look alot better than the wafer thin LR ones and less than half the price. For such a big, chunky looking car, the wafer thin ones look out of place and your ones suit it alot better Thumbs Up
    Did any plastic trim have too be removed under the car for fixing the steps??
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

v2cjb wrote:

Do your steps sit out past the door, so if some one opens their car door in a car park the door would hit your steps before your door

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum