Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Blackfly
    Canada 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Indus Silver

Incorrect def quality detected

Had warning flash up to the effect that incorrect def quality had been detected and no engine restart would be possible after 400km.

Am on a road trip and the nearest dealer would have been about six hours away in Halifax. It's Saturday evening when I pull into Fredricton and I had covered the 400 km. Yes the engine will not restart.

Called LR Assist, no tech support in Canada, if it's not a flat tyre or battery it's straight on a flat bed and to a dealer. No engine start means the gear thingy will niot rise so the vehicle cannot be put into neutral.

So LRA looked at various option, outcome the D5 with 1330 k on the clock is going back to the dealer while I continue on my holiday with a hire car.

I should also add that after several attempts to get a car for me ( not many options at nine pm on a Saturday in Fredricton Very Happy ) I was given a phone number and told to sort it. No suitable vehicle available from the location I tried so will try again on Sunday.

Was hoping to post pic of the D5 on tour in Newfoundland, guess I will need to photo shop a little!

Last edited by Blackfly on 25th Jun 2017 2:39 pm. Edited 2 times in total

F50, Fourtack, LR3 and now..............D5 HSE TDV6
  • winger
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Aintree Green

Sorry you've been afflicted with this. Most likely a software or sensor issue, and not DEF quality at all.

The gearbox park can be manually released:

If a vehicle requires recovery, the Emergency Park Release (EPR) mechanism is used to manually disengage the park lock and engage the transmission in Neutral (N). The EPR mechanism consists of an operating lever that is connected by a cable to a lever arm. The lever arm is attached to the transmission selector shaft and secured with a nut.

The EPR operating lever, when moved to the park lock release position (transmission neutral), is locked in position by a latch mechanism which is part of the EPR lever assembly. The latch holds the operating lever and the transmission park lock in the disengaged, transmission neutral, position.

To disengage the park lock:
    Ensure the vehicle is secured via the footbrake (two people required) or wheel chocks

Open the hood and remove the engine cover (Refer to the applicable service repair procedure)

Pull the EPR operating lever upwards and ensure it locks in the vertical position. A flashing ā€˜Nā€™ symbol will appear on the vehicle instrument cluster to signify that the EPR has been activated.
  • Blackfly
    Canada 

Awesome thanks. I will lay even money the recovery driver will not know this.

• winger
    United Kingdom 

Also, the gear selector should turn in the down position, but that won't help if you cannot start the engine obviously.
  • Blackfly
    Canada 

Lol time will tell, just waiting for the car rental to,open then back on the blower with LRA to arrange the recovery, they did know what the error was about when I spoke to them last night. They did nit seem to be aware of the EPR thought Surprised

I also think it is a software problem.

Oh well at least it is not raining

• Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

winger wrote:
    Sorry you've been afflicted with this. Most likely a software or sensor issue, and not DEF quality at all.

The gearbox park can be manually released:

If a vehicle requires recovery, the Emergency Park Release (EPR) mechanism is used to manually disengage the park lock and engage the transmission in Neutral (N). The EPR mechanism consists of an operating lever that is connected by a cable to a lever arm. The lever arm is attached to the transmission selector shaft and secured with a nut.

The EPR operating lever, when moved to the park lock release position (transmission neutral), is locked in position by a latch mechanism which is part of the EPR lever assembly. The latch holds the operating lever and the transmission park lock in the disengaged, transmission neutral, position.

To disengage the park lock:
    Ensure the vehicle is secured via the footbrake (two people required) or wheel chocks

Open the hood and remove the engine cover (Refer to the applicable service repair procedure)

Pull the EPR operating lever upwards and ensure it locks in the vertical position. A flashing ā€˜Nā€™ symbol will appear on the vehicle instrument cluster to signify that the EPR has been activated.

Is the EPR operating leaver easily identifiable and where did you find this information please?

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • winger
    United Kingdom 

It is, but does need you to know where to look, as described. This is from the workshop manual.
  • Huxey
    Canada 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

I'm actually in Fredericton if you need any help.

HSE Lux TD6 Carpathian Grey, 20" Black Pack + loaded with options.
    Previously: 2011 BMW X5 MSport 35i Carbon Black
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

winger wrote:

It is, but does need you to know where to look, as described. This is from the workshop manual.

Sorry I meant the one under the bonnet when the engine cover is removed

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • winger
    United Kingdom 

That's it Confused

Rear right side of the engine block when viewed from the front.
  • Blackfly
    Canada 

Ahhh the cable was actually routed to the top of the engine. It has a disengage lever I will post pics at some point

• Blackfly
    Canada 

So here is the release cable it is grey. Also the warning message hopefully non one else will see Smile

Loooks like I need to read how to attach piccies

• Blackfly
    Canada 

Huxey wrote:
    I'm actually in Fredericton if you need any help.
    thanks for the offer I Think we were on the road but the time I read this

• Blackfly
    Canada 

Well looks like the dealer has it sussed. I am about 2500 km from home but the in control App tells me my Disco did about 40 km today and that it's located at the dealers. They have been sending me daily text updates. Didn't get one today because there is no cell signal where I am, maybe move into range tomorrow Laughing

Be very interested to see what the have to say.

• Blackfly
    Canada 

So dealer left a message and two txt s to say all was fixed the voice meaasage said they. Had reset the module. So as was previously thought a software issue?

Begs the question if ,this was back in the U.K. Would an RAC van be equipped with the gear to do this reset?

• Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum