Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• ravrav
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Corris Grey

Air Conditioning - hot one side

Has anybody else had a problem with air con?

Last week (in particularly hot weather) the driver side air vents started blowing hot air even when set to blow cold. All other vents were blowing cold as expected.

At the time I stopped and restarted the car but the problem remained. Yesterday (a cooler day) I found the problem had gone and cold air was once again blowing from the driver side events.

Has anybody experienced a similar issue?
  • winger
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Aintree Green

Known issue, and covered by SSM73342. The vent stepper motors are out of sync. In the D4 you could resync these yourself, but this will need a trip to the dealer, and point them at the SSM mentioned.
  • ravrav
    United Kingdom 

Thanks for that.
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

winger wrote:
    Known issue, and covered by SSM73342. The vent stepper motors are out of sync. In the D4 you could resync these yourself, but this will need a trip to the dealer, and point them at the SSM mentioned.

Winger, any chance of starting a thread listing all the recalls/fixes?

It would be great to have one place to look to see if there was a solution to any problems that we may have.

I have seen these so far...

SSM73342. The vent stepper motors are out of sync.
    ssm73330. Incorrect def quality detected
    N042 - Exterior A-post trim adrift
    LTB01077 Cause: Body Control Module (BCM) software issue causing a false message to be displayed on the IC
    SSM73441 - Software calibration Suspension fault

I am sure there must be more!! Big Cry

Cheers
    Jim
  • rd450
    United Kingdom 

+1 great idea 👍
  • PeterW
    England 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Corris Grey

+2 Thumbs Up

Also a list of abbreviations & there meaning Embarassed

Peter
    HSE 3.0 V6 Diesel Corris Grey
  • max099
    Austria 

+3 Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

D3 - MY 2008 (gone)
    RRS - MY 2010 (gone)
  • pdes
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Santorini Black

winger wrote:

Mine went in today for the drivers vent issue. I told them about the SSM despite the fact that I shouldn't have to!

Got a call tonight telling me that they decided the problem was with an aircon unit (compressor?) that needed to be changed. Still, I would imagine that the steppers will have to be re-sync'd as part of this.

This is the third time I have had to return it for warranty work. So far, it has cost me around £120 in round trip fuel an topping up loan cars after use. I have a real problem with footing the bill for warranty work an told the dealership so. Apparently, they are talking to JLR to have me compensated.

D5 HSE SDi6, 2019, Santorini Black, privacy glass, HUD, loads of gizmos!! 😃😃😃
    Series 1, 1953, 86"
  • J77
    Scotland 

The only issue I seem to have, not sure if it’s an issue or a quirky feature of the D5, with the heating is the length of time it takes between switching the heating/air con on and anything actually coming out, a good 20 seconds and doesn’t seem to blow out with any force unless up full. Though it does a good job of heating/cooling the car.

18MY Velar R-Dynamic SE D240 Fuji White
  • Scrumps
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Firenze Red

J77,

For the "force" issue , have you checked the setting?

You can vary the output in one of the menu's!

From the manual:-

Auto Air Flow: The blower speed for automatic operation can be set to Soft and Quiet, Balanced, or Powerful and Fast.

Scrumps

Somerset - Where the apples do grow and the cider do flow!
    17MY D5 HSE / 16MY RRS2 A/B / 05 Defender90 CSW
  • MAJ23
    United Kingdom 

My Disco 5 went back to the dealer after 2 days of owning it (picked up in May 2017) as it was pumping out red hot air on the right vent when set to low , and cold was coming out of the left hand side vent. It's been back over 10 times, with software updates, and new valves. Before Christmas it started blowing out cold air on the right when set at 24. It's been back twice so far in 2018. The dealer said that my car is an isolated vehicle and no other Discovery 5's have had this issue. (Maybe they should look on these forums!) it's set to go back in again next week.
  • Big Al
    United Kingdom 

I’ve had this and had the update before Christmas to sort out the demisting issue. Mines going back into the dealership again! at the end of the month (I’ve never had a car return so many times) for a myriad of updates to numerous systems, including; aircon; SatNav; air suspension and lights.

Aircon/Climate control has been around for a while and to my knowledge LR has had this over numerous years on lots of different vehicles, so why is it so crap on the D5 which is a not so cheap vehicle.
    On my D4 and previous D3s climate control was infinitely better than that on the D5 and cleared the windscreen, when misted up in a matter of seconds! as against minutes and being cooked alive!

Has anyone noticed, if you get heat you certainly don’t get fresh air ☹️

It seems like LR is regressing, rather than progressing with standard type technologies. I can only contemplate that their using cheaper materials, or newer methods which aren’t nearly as good as that previously tried and tested. Shame really as these really niggle customers more than the wierd design of the vehicle which ultimately you get used to.
  • Johnson
    Belgium 

Picking up this old thread

Intro: I have a MY18 Namib orange black pack 3.0l HSE since 03/18. After 5y in a D3 and in between a A6 all road and a xc70 so happy to drive a Disco again.

At least till the shenanigans started with the air conditioning- 3000km and 3 days at the dealers. First cold/hot issues on driver/passenger side. One day in at dealers not to have any difference and now the fact that the system is blowing “fresh air” but not “cold - airconditioned- air” - In for 2 days and no solution found, are “waiting for information from HQ” ?? And will call me back

@PDES , does this sound similar to your situation and did exchanging the compressor provide a solution?
    Would anyone know if there is a related action from LR on this issue? Maybe I can tell the dealers - like I read in other posts?

Tx
  • pdes
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Santorini Black

I don't recall the fresh air versus aircon air but the issue with mine started with the driver's side blowing cold when it should have been hot. The stepper motor issue is well known and I can't confirm categorically the they changed the compressor as the dealer gave me loads of BS. Your issue sounds more like an air diverter issue but I am no expert.

Good luck with it.

D5 HSE SDi6, 2019, Santorini Black, privacy glass, HUD, loads of gizmos!! 😃😃😃
    Series 1, 1953, 86"
  • Johnson
    Belgium 

Not to hijack this topic - but share my experience
    For the first 3000km no airco- 5 days at the dealers to come to the conclusion there was not enough gas in the airo system Shocked - a top up should do the trick. At least that is what they said on what was going on

Got the car back and finally something that resembles air conditioning cooling
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum