Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• simonej

Disappointed - UPDATED

I know this is probably a bit of a pointless post and not really one for a board of Discovery 5 owners / enthusiasts, but there's a chance Land Rover are reading these forums and that they might take on board some feedback from a Discovery 3 & 4 owner.

Anyway, my D4 is in for some work and I have a brand new D5 HSE on loan in black with the light grey interior. To summarise, I am thoroughly disappointed with it. It's not bad as such, it's just underwhelming and doesn't feel special in any way whatsoever. Some bits I quite like, some just make me wonder what Land Rover were thinking!

Positives:

-Handles REALLY well and is a big step up on the D4. It doesn't seem to iron out the bumps quite as well but it's certainly very good.

- I actually quite like the way it looks!

- The interior is very pleasing to the eye.

- The front armrests are actually fine, despite seeming poor when I sat in it in the showroom

Negatives

- Infotainment interface is still clunky and awful. Why can't these companies take a leaf out of Apple's book and make something user friendly!

- Stereo is poor even though it's a Meridian

- Volume control knob too small and doesn't respond fast enough

- Not enough space for your left foot in the driver's footwell. The transmission tunnel seems to encroach on the space significantly. This is actually a deal breaker for me, althougg it's probably a very personal thing as no one else has mentioned this.

- 2.0 Diesel engine is a bit weak. Quite linear in power delivery and doesn't feel particularly urgent.

- Intelligent seat fold has already broken on the second row double seat and weirdly the switches work the opposite seat to what they're supposed to. Wired wrong?

- Event platform is a waste of space - really miss the split tailgate

- Boot seems very small, although still adequate for our needs

- On our sloping drive with the car in access mode the corner of the boot lid is perfectly placed for taking a chunk out of my head. Really bad design!

- Some flimsy bits of trim around the cabin, much worse than anything on the previous Disco. The trim on the drivers seat where the electric switches are has come off.

- Even though it's got Windsor leather it doesn't smell the same as that in my HSE Lux D4. It just smells like 'new car' plastic and not quality leather seats.

- The rear seats are far too low, but everyone knows that.

- The sunroofs are stupidly placed. Row two effectively doesn't have a sunroof.

- Hit my head on the A pillar a couple of times when getting in as the entry angle seems all wrong.

- The rear electric window is currently in the down position as it refuses to stay in the closed position. It closes but opens itself after a few seconds.

I realise they're not the greatest criticisms in the world and they're quite small in the grand scheme of things but at this price range I want to be wowed by it and for it to feel special. When I got my D4 HSE Lux I was looking for any excuse to take it for a drive, this D5 HSE is just sat on my drive and I have no desire to just go out and drive it.

For me that's the definition of a great car, one I just want to go out and drive for the sake of it - the D5 is just an A to B car to me and sadly it won't be my next car. Thanks to those who've answered previous questions for me on this site, I hope you all enjoy your D5s - they're a decent enough car but for me they have missed the mark by quite some way. I really have no idea what car to go for next now!

Last edited by simonej on 4th Aug 2017 7:45 pm. Edited 3 times in total
  • J77
    Scotland 

Negatives

1) buy an SE
    2) buy an SE
    3) use steering wheel controls
    4) no less space than my previous D3/4s
    5) buy 3.0, 2.0 waste of time and only £1.5k cheaper
    6) buy an SE, doesn't have it
    7) personal taste, I don't see the problem, dog goes in no problem, comfortable seat.
    8 )swallows more than you would think, tried and tested
    9) a case of getting used to it.
    10) LRs general build quality had worse on previous LRs
    11) same leather as D4
    12) personal taste, I've had no complaints
    13) wouldn't know don't have them, don't like them
    14) A case of adapting, I suffered that problem initially
    15) again LRs build quality no worse than previous LRs

However, I do like my D5 but not £54k like and I would think twice before buying another but IMO it is the brand in general not just the D5. This new Velar is the same, for the price tag it just ain't special enough, I struggle to see past it's F-Pace in a party dress looks.

18MY Velar R-Dynamic SE D240 Fuji White
  • Chalky
    United Kingdom 

I agree with Simonej. I'm sure the D5 is a lovely car, and when I drove one it was great but for me LR has lost the plot because the Discovery was always a "countryside" car primarily. The D5 should be under the RR badge. God only knows what they are going to come up with to replace the Defender!

The FFRR is nearer what I need because of the sensible back-end, so that's what I will be buying, but late second hand and not much more price-wise than the D5 HSE.

LR won't mind cos they'll still get the sale, but a number of my pals who would have changed are getting extended warranty on their D4's and waiting to see what happens.
  • simonej

J77: Yeah, I don't strictly disagree with your points - I would happily settle for an SE if the price was £40k and would entertain the HSE at £45k but to my mind they're overpriced by £10k and playing in a market they're not good enough for. I don't think I'd be complaining about half the things if they were cheaper.

The problem is, no other manufacturer really makes a car that appeals in the same way a Land Rover does. i really have no idea what to go for next - extended warranty on the D4, I expect!
  • J77
    Scotland 

An D5 SE with a pretty reasonable kit list for less than a D4 SE with pretty much no kit, you don't want much Laughing

• Grianaig
    Scotland 

I am of the same mind at the moment. Looked forward to the New Discovery hoping to exchange the three year old D4 this year. I always go for the mid range and would be buying an SE. I have read J77's comments in all his posts as his requirements have been similar to mine. But with the number of problems reported by others albeit in HSE and above models I have waited. I agree the price is too high for the specs. Have owned Land Rovers for 46 years without a break but for the first time I am unsure of what next. I have taken out an extended LR Warranty and we will see how things pan out.

MY 2014 D4 Indus XS
    MY2006 D3 Zermatt S Manual
  • simonej

J77 wrote:
    An D5 SE with a pretty reasonable kit list for less than a D4 SE with pretty much no kit, you don't want much Laughing

Ha, well I also thought the D4 was overpriced as well, but at least it was a cracking car to justify it.

Just done an hour long drive in the D5 and the handling is shockingly good for such a heavy car. It actually made me wonder whether a supercharged petrol version would actually be quite nice!
  • J77
    Scotland 

It was a toss up between the V6 diesel or the V6 petrol for me, chose diesel but perhaps should've went petrol. I'm not sure if anyone has took delivery of a petrol yet, maybe one or two on here.

As I say I like the D5 but I would think twice about another, the next set of upgrades will no doubt bring more price hikes and £54k is about as much as I would spend on one, in fact it's more than I should've spent on this one, £45k was the budget Embarassed

• simonej

Well after a couple of hour long drives and a few days with it I think it's only fair that I confess to changing my mind a little!

Yes, it has its flaws that really shouldn't be on a car of this price and that could have been avoided - the crap build quality, the questionable looks (that I actually don't mind), the poorly placed sunroofs and the poor infotainment system. I've no idea why the leather doesn't smell as nice as my D4.

But, with regards to my other points:

- The rear seats are perhaps more comfortable than the D4.
    - The drivers footwell is fine.
    - The event platform is fine for sitting on (useless as a work platform though).
    - The boot is still huge.

And the bits where it's better:

- It's a great place to sit and the D4 felt dated when I got back in it.
    - The handling is excellent.

The D4 still seems to ride the bumps better and is undoubtedly more practical but I think the D5 is actually a nice enough vehicle in its own right.

I do think the 2.0 diesel is an absolute bag of s**t though and it really doesn't suit the nature of the car. Too slow, sounds rubbish and not punchy enough. I think it's this that really gave the bad first impression.

So, I'll have to wait until the petrol engines HSE Lux models are a year or two old (they're out of my price range) but I may actually now consider one. Bit of a job when it requires an extended way drive to sell a car though!
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

Glad to hear it is growing on you! Thumbs Up

I have to agree about the 2 litre engiine, I had one as a loan car and thought it was awful.

On reflection it was probably OK, but just seemed "wrong" in the D5 and made it felt like a totally different car and not in a good way.
  • J77
    Scotland 

Thumbs Up

Just forget the 2.0, it never existed Laughing and to think some markets get the 180hp engine Shocked

The D5 does everything the D4 does but just differently and some areas more awkwardly and with more effort. If you can make sense of that then you'll get on fine with one Laughing

• Blackfly
    Canada 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Indus Silver

Comparing my V8 grrr d 3 to tthenD5 td6 they are not the same I prefer ther D5 and am getting used to the looks. But just think back to the D1/2 were we moaning about the tail gate ?

judge me not for my first 4 Wheel. Car Big Cry was. 2CV

F50, Fourtack, LR3 and now..............D5 HSE TDV6
  • neilk
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Loire Blue

The price issue is an interesting one, and Land Rover up until now are playing the supply and demand game well.. The stories of vast quantites of unsold stock don't seem to really stand up, but time will tell when the new factory comes on line and all international launch markets are served with initial stock.

On the price issue part of the problem is through multiple D4's in my case is the market has also moved on at a pace, for interest try pricing up an XC90 or anything German and if anything it is worse (although discounts will be more generous). Compared to the rest of the range up to and including the lower specced FFRR it is a relative bargain.

On the 2.0, I think if you have come from a V6 you will notice the difference but this is where the market is going but if you haven't driven one then you will probably think it is fine. Agree with J77 though that the premium is a no brainer.

I am very happy with my choice of HSE, with the latest updates the InControl Pro is much more responsive and reliable. Still a little over designed UI with design over pure usability but again better than the software it was delivered with. Functionally it is excellent and I no longer feel short changed on technology compared to the Ford/Peugeot/Opel hire car on holiday.

Some areas of trim fall below what I would expect, especially in the load area. Too much flex and poor fit for the jack cover. The third row clips are also poor even if the workaround works.

I know it is controversial but I love the tailgate, I never needed it as a work platform and don't have dogs so I know for that it is compromised, but the on on the FFRR I had as a loaner is nothing more than a nod to having it rather than adding practicality compared to my old one.

I had lots of minor glitches software related with my relatively early build but all now sorted. Most happened once or twice and disappeared after the upgrade. None of them left me stranded, but they were annoying.

No issues at all from rear passengers, but again longer journeys have only been with the kids in the back.

On the styling I am biased but with a strong colour contrast and the dynamic pack I love it. I have had many people randomly comment on it positively but agree the styling is very colour sensitive.

Biggest plus point after a week in the FFRR, albeit poverty spec I was happy to get back into my car. The FFRR did handle better, but no so much that the things that were missing in the spec compensated for.
  • mole
    United Kingdom 

Looking forward to my half-day LR Experience in the D5 planned for October.
    Went to local LR dealer with a view to changing my D4 but was not impressed with what I saw so walked away until I can have a proper drive.
    Also looked at a Disco Sport as I really loved my Freelander 2 - what a disappointment. The ride was good but the 2 litre engine was rubbish and the quality of the interior was very poor, and that was an HSE
    Did have a test-drive in a RRS (3 litre diesel) Fantastic to drive and looked like good build quality but the price!!
    As this could be my last new car to take me into retirement I do not want to rush into making a decision. Please can LR make their mind up about the new Defender!!!!!
  • Chalky
    United Kingdom 

Buy a late used FFRR Very Happy Wink
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum