Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• jungle42
    Luxembourg 
    2017 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Corris Grey

Tires (Winter and Offroad)

Hi,

I would like to swap my entire wheels for the winter season, as the m+s wheels (without the snowflake mountain symbol) originally mounted will not be enough for snow etc.

My favorite would be the Goodyear Duratrac (as I've heard: good in snow, good in rain and good offroad), but I don't know which size and what wheels to choose from (exept, I want black ones Wink ) The original wheels are,as you all know, really expensive (910€ per wheel ...) so any advise would be appreciated Smile

Thank you:)
  • J77
    Scotland 

I have 19" alloys + tyres (standard road tyres) and TPMS valves for sale, Whistle though shipping them to Luxembourg may be expensive.

18MY Velar R-Dynamic SE D240 Fuji White
  • AndrewS
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Silicon Silver

I am currently on 20" MTR's Thumbs Up
  • J77
    Scotland 

Do you not fancy a change to 19" Laughing

Just can't get rid of these things.

• Jacko
    Australia 

Hi J77,

it would be too costly to send them to Oz. I have 22" and looking for either 20 or 19" Rim to put some All Terrain Tyres On.
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

Winter: If you can get them where you live, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 SUV is an astonishingly good snow tire. Low rolling resistance, amazing winter grip. New set going on my new Disco in the next couple weeks.

Off-road: I have 20's, and I plan to upgrade to 275/55-20 Goodyear Wrangler All-Terrain Adventure or perhaps Conti TerrainContact A/T. I was soft-roading in Crested Butte, CO a few weeks ago and flatted one of the OEM Goodyears on literally a pebble. A razor-sharp shale pebble, but it was a pebble nonetheless. Good thing I chose the full-sized spare.
  • ForlornMTL
    Canada 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Firenze Red

My OEM size is 275/45-21
    I've ordered Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 SUV in 255/55R20 with Fast Wheel Thunder rims

Seems like the highest rated winter tire for such a big beast.
    My tire guy was saying the Blizzak DMV2 is good too, but i've never liked Bridgestone, so...

My brother might be going for the Nokian Hakkapeliitta 9, studded tire on his 2017 Cayenne Hybrid.
    Don't think i would like the noise and the feeling of rolling on tinny pins when on clear and dry tarmac.

I was thinking about off road tyres too but am going to first go off road a couple of times before i spend on a third set of wheels and tyres.
    I've been told by the sales director at my LR dealer that i can use the Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 SUV to go off-road (to a certain point). And that it will do great in medium off-roading.

Last edited by ForlornMTL on 24th Oct 2017 6:06 pm. Edited 1 time in total

2017 HSE Luxury TD6 Dynamic Pack in Firenze Red, Ebony with Pimento Stitch.
  • DieselRanger
    United States 

I don't know about off-roading on the Hakka's - they're basically a road tire, very light, little sidewall protection and only two thin steel plies in the tread. The OEM Goodyears have two steel and one polyamide (Kevlar) ply in the tread, and a sharp piece of shale the size of the end of my thumb punctured one right at the base of a tread block.
  • Rockcypher
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Waitomo Grey

DieselRanger, you may want to check out Goodrich TA KO2’s. I’m running 275/65/20’s on my Disco5, check out my profile pic from Paradise Divide in Crested Butte. I have an 2005 LR3 for off-roading that I keep in CB, after suffering numerous flats on Goodyear Wrangler ‘s in CB, I moved to Goodrich ‘s on the LR3 and Disco5 and have been flat free ever since.

2000 D2 (sold), 2004 D2 (sold), 2005 LR3 (Lives in CO), 2005 RR (sold), 2010 LR4 (sold), 2012 RR (sold), 2014 RR (sold), 2017 D5
  • DieselRanger
    United States 

They're always on my short list, but have seen them wear quickly due to their very soft compound. They are supposedly great in snow, but I usually run winter tires here for that. Since I swap them out I'm sure they would last longer.

I've run GY Wrangler All-Terrain Adventure with Kevlar (used to be SilentArmor) on previous vehicles - no problems in razor-sharp New Mexico caliche and limestone steps, Crestone Group granite and over Engineer Pass. The shoulders are armored and the sidewalls are very thick, with excellent wear, but they are expensive! Jeep and Ford offer them with factory option packs...wish LR offered a good AT tire with the "Capability Package". Neutral

My flat on the OEM GY's was coming up to Paradise Divide from the North...on that Subaru-easy road! Mad
  • Rockcypher
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Waitomo Grey

Yeah, I flatted twice on different occasions, coming down from Paradise, via Washington Gulch, my experience was Silent Armor should have been called “ Silent Hiss”, as the air escapes. Good luck.

2000 D2 (sold), 2004 D2 (sold), 2005 LR3 (Lives in CO), 2005 RR (sold), 2010 LR4 (sold), 2012 RR (sold), 2014 RR (sold), 2017 D5
  • DieselRanger
    United States 

Good to know...maybe I'll reconsider. How do you like the BFG's on the road?
  • SHARKYSHARKS
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Will Disco 4 19” rims fit a D5 ?
  • J77
    Scotland 

Even better just buy my D5 19 Very Happy Very Happy

• SHARKYSHARKS
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Laughing haven’t even ordered it yet

Edit : Have now 3.0 HSE LUX in Carpathian Grey with Park Heat and in secure tracker Very Happy

Last edited by SHARKYSHARKS on 19th Oct 2017 6:07 pm. Edited 1 time in total
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum