↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Craigp
    England 

Thanks for sharing Thumbs Up
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

AndrewS wrote:
    Yep its OK just what you would expect, ...
    Thumbs Up

I noticed you have Wrangler DuraTracs on. What size? I plan on upgrading to 275/55-20 as there's literally zero AT tire selection in the OEM 20" size. Do you daily-drive with your DuraTracs?
  • AndrewS
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Silicon Silver

275/55-20 yes daily driver.
  • DieselRanger
    United States 

How does it drive on the road with the DuraTracs? Have you noticed a major negative impact in fuel economy?
  • Pcheaven
    United Kingdom 

Arnt the duratraxks q rated ( 100 ish mph )

Also don’t they come in 255 55 20’s
  • DieselRanger
    United States 

Some of the sizes, and no. At least not in the US. 275/55-20 are S rated, and they come in 255/55-19 but not 20"

I'm not concerned about speed rating - can't legally go faster than 85mph in the US, and most interstates in the Western US top out at 75mph.

For AT tires that are worth their salt off-road, there is nothing in 255/55-20. Even the SVX Disco is pictured with DuraTracs in 275/55-20, and I'd rather have the little extra sidewall anyway. The SVX is limited to 100mph BTW, despite its HP and torque ratings...likely because of the tires.
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

It is because of the tyres. LR were doing a lot of work with Good Year at Eastwell Manor in March when we went up and did the off road course
    They are aiming to get a Duratrac that can do over 100mph to remove the limitation on speed

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • AndrewS
    United Kingdom 

DieselRanger wrote:
    How does it drive on the road with the DuraTracs? Have you noticed a major negative impact in fuel economy?

As you would expect going from a road bias tyre to off road/road. A bit noisier, it handles different but not worse, fuel is down a bit. Thumbs Up
  • DieselRanger
    United States 

Russell wrote:
    It is because of the tyres. LR were doing a lot of work with Good Year at Eastwell Manor in March when we went up and did the off road course
    They are aiming to get a Duratrac that can do over 100mph to remove the limitation on speed

S-rated tires are good to 112mph, I believe, but a tire with large, deep, widely spaced tread blocks necessary for true off-road capability is just too squirmy above about 100mph on pavement - there's lots of good footage of trophy trucks in Baja fishtailing around on YouTube. What you really need the speed rating for is for wheelspin in loose soil - the truck might be going 100mph on a playa or dirt road, but the tires are spinning fast enough to do 110 or 115.

The Ford Raptor could probably do 150 on tarmac, but they still put S-rated BFG T/A KO2's on it, and it's electronically limited to 107mph.
  • AndrewS
    United Kingdom 

To be honnest the MTR's made little difference traction wise and were worse than the standard tyres when it came to side slip.
    They are just a little tougher when it comes to the rough stuff.
  • DieselRanger
    United States 

Interesting... thanks for the insight.

I'm considering some of the new generation of kevlar-armored AT tires...not necessarily better against punctures, but more resistant to impacts that would otherwise break belts and beads
  • Tim in Scotland
    United Kingdom 

Andrew do you have the optional rear ediff on your car? Was surprised how much wheel spinning you had at the first attempt to get out of the pond, I thought that the TC would have braked the spinning wheels earlier.
  • AndrewS
    United Kingdom 

No I dont.
    In the video we were experimenting with gears not TC, get in the correct gear to suit the conditions and you shouldn't need TC was our goal Wink
    I wasn't really trying that hard and didnt want to cut the ground up as I should not have attempted departure in that area. If I had properly 'booted it' to get the TC working you would have seen the TC kicking in.
    As you will see in this scenario low 3rd worked better than low 2nd.

I could have got out of the water first time if I had gone fast enough but what would we have learned? lets face it you could do it with a transit van if you went fast enough.

We were playing with the settings and gears all day to get the best out of the vehicle. Its a very different vehicle to the D3 D4.
  • Chrismcnaz
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Loire Blue

In what way would you say that the D5 is a very different vehicle? Is it from an electronics and TC perspective or mechanicals........?
  • AndrewS
    United Kingdom 

Its similar but different, I know thats not a very helpful comment.
    The electronics in the special programs work a little different.
    The suspension is not as supple in rock crawl, 18MY is different we think.
    You can feel that its a lot lighter.
    The break grab (hill hold) is nasty when you are trying to very slowly pull away in rock crawl (this was in extreme conditions) it releases very sharply causing the car the jerk forward.
    It will go more places than a D3 D4 simply because its lighter. [/list][/list]
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum