Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• mgg
    Australia 

Tech Question: 360° Parking Aid vs Surround Camera System

Hi

I'm interested in what the relationship is between 360° Parking Aid with Visual Display and the Surround Camera System.

Is it fair to say that if you have a HSE Lux with the Surround Camera System the 360 Parking Aid is not required or needed?

I'm struggling to really understand where they both "fit in".

Thanks!
    Mark
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

I have both and you have the 360 camera on one side of the screen and a parking display on the other.

However I am not sure if that is because of having the options or not!! Rolling with laughter

Maybe someone with only one of the options can chip in?
  • ashields
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Corris Grey

I just have surround view, however I do get a visual representation from the parking sensors superimposed on the 360% view or the reversing camera view.
  • ashields
    United Kingdom 

photos

Again this is just with surround view, It would be interesting to see how this differs from a car with both

• Llama24
    United States 

Thanks for posting that! I'm at my dealer and we have surmised that the 360 parking aid isn't the camera - it's the system that beeps when you get too close on the sides (similar to infinitis).

To clarify - is the surround view because you got the vision pro package?
  • ashields
    United Kingdom 

I specified surround camera system on my HSE. It's standard here on an HSE Lux.
    I'd never heard of the vision pro pack, however I see there is a vision assist pack that includes it for the SE.

I get a warning from the approaching vehicle sensor on the mirrors when manoeuvring at low speed, I seem to remember it highlighting the mirror on the display at one point when I had the parking display up.

It's bad enough when you can't tell what something adds from the web configurator but you'd think they'd at least tell the dealers.
  • arsi
    Finland 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Aintree Green

How do you get this screen to activate automatically every time: reverse camera, surround camera and 360 parking aid side by side.

I am able to get this view only if I select the surround camera view first and then select reverse gear. Next time when selecting reverse or after restart the reverse view shows only reverse camera and 360 parking aid.
  • LukasW
    Czech Republic 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Hello guys, my first post here (after long hesitation, an HSE Lux now finally on order, delivery expected december).

The 360° parking aid and surround camera system are completetely separate features.

The latter is the optical system of 4 cameras (front, rear and in the mirrors) able to show the immediate surroundings of the car in the composite manner as depicted in some posts here (as well as for each camera separately), while the former is an extension of the standard front and rear "beeping" parking sensors adding iirc 4 more sensors on each side of the vehicle (as well as the same number of bars on each side of the car in the visual representation on the touchscreen).

The actual purpose of the 360° parking aid is to allow the self-parking system to determine dimensions of the available parking space as well as to check whether there's enough room for the parking manoeuvre on the opposite side of the road.

That being said the 360° parking aid sensors are needed for the self-parking system and the feature is added automatically if you opt for it, but as a stand alone feature they're imho of a very limited benefit to the driver, if any, and I personally find them actually rather confusing as you get the beeping warning from the side sensors in situations like entering/leaving a garage (and basically in any narrow spaces where you have obstacles on your sides) and as they are audially undistinguishable from the front and rear sensors, you always have to check on screen visually whichever sensor has triggered the warning, and you really get lots of these false positives/benign warnings from objects on sides.

Btw the self-parking feature: I tested it quite extensively and long term in a company Skoda Superb and while it works quite neatly when all conditions are met, it's rather useless if conditions are not as optimal, like confined spaces etc., i.e. in most cases you actually appreciated some help. Bottom line: I opted not to have it in the Disco, nor the 360° parking aid. I decided to have the surround cameras though.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum