Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• ForlornMTL
    Canada 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Firenze Red

Paint protection films and off roading

Has anyone had paint protection film installed on any vehicle ?
    Dealer was trying hard to sell me on it but i can't get any spec on the product they would install.
    I know there's 3M, Expel and others. They say they use the highest quality, blah blah blah.
    But at close to 2000$ to do the whole front bumber, lights, bonnet, fenders and rocker panels.

I find it quite expensive for an in case i get scratches. I plan on doing light offroading but even then, fixing scratches can't amount up to that much, unless i really scratch it badly.

I am leasing this D5 for 39 months, so i think they just want it to have a perfect paint finish when i return it so they can sell it on easily.

Has anyone had to do much paint repair after going offroad ? (With any vehicle)

2017 HSE Luxury TD6 Dynamic Pack in Firenze Red, Ebony with Pimento Stitch.
  • Arslanoff
    Czech Republic 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Branches and bushes, especially with thorns will result in heavy paint scratches all other the car after the first try. If you offroad on the open space - no problem, some stones can fly over, but if you are careful, nothing can happen, but branches are very very very bad for the paint. On disco the problem also with black glossy parts (windows etc.)
    The film makes very good results, but I would not do it by the JLR officials, they will not do it perfectly as it is not their main business, go to professionals in car filming, they will suggest the right film, right thickness and the most vulnerable pars to cover. Will be twice cheaper minimum.
    If you will not do, you can try something like on this video just before you go offroading.
    It is Russian, but you can go through the video to understand the main idea

This video is after offroad

and the guy shows the difference between the covered and uncovered area.
  • ForlornMTL
    Canada 

Thank you for the reply.
    The JLR dealer does not do it themselves, they have a professional come and do it.
    It's guaranteed for 5 years and if it goes yellow or bubbles up, they change it for free.

I got a price from a professional who does it for other car brands. He charges me the same price he charges dealers. Around 1550$, so i would save but i am not certain it's worth it.

I have never done off roading so i have no idea what to expect, if i will go often, if it will be clear dirt roads or heavy brush. I don't think i would venture into heavy brush but some scratching is probably inevitable when going off road.

I'm having them do the rocker panels as that is gloss black and that's what the sales director suggested i do at a minimum. I think it makes sense. But for the rest i am leaning towards no.
    But getting input from actual users of the same vehicle, who are not trying to sell me insurance is a good help.

• Blackfly
    Canada 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Indus Silver

I declined the offer on mine, the dealer tried to sell various extra insurance products. But when I was told that well think of when you are driving to the cottage and all the bugs that will hit your paint blah blah I thought enough! A city girl trying her best to get some commission. I live in the country anyway and if the paint is really that bad..... Very Happy

Sounds like the same dealer Sheep

F50, Fourtack, LR3 and now..............D5 HSE TDV6
  • ForlornMTL
    Canada 

Yeah, i would have taken the Excessive Wear Protection if they sold it. I had it on my BMW and it covered up to 7500$ in wear. I didn't have any big scratches, bumps or anything really. But the awful OEM Pirelli's were almost bald and that was covered, so i didn't have to buy new BMW approved run flat tires.

I asked her why they don't offer Excessive Wear protection and she says the LR clientele doesn't want that. They'd rather have everything fixed as it happens, which is what the insurance they sell does.
    But it doesn't cover scratches or any wear at all, only covers bumps that don't need a paint job, windscreen minor repair (my insurance covers that), flat tires, broken wheels, lost key FOB, interior tears and burns.
    When i asked for details on the protection she sent me a cheap video. I had to ask her again and then she sent the brochure, that's when i declined.
    She seemed surprised i wasn't taking it. " almost everyone takes it and then come back to me and say they are glad they took it as it saved them money".
    When you try to sell me something by telling me i should do like everyone else instead of selling me on what it does...you've lost me !
    "But if you break a wheel on a pot hole, we have so much roadworks here, think about it".
    Well, fixing a wheel costs 150-200$.

I must admit, she's good at selling, she had a reply for everything. It almost worked, but i ask questions and need to understand things before i'm sold. Guess most don't.

• DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

I've got a clear mask on the front bumper, first 10" or so of the hood, and door mirrors. Here in Colorado in the winter they drop sand as well as salt, which also contains small pebbles. So in addition to paint damage on the front facing surfaces, windshields are a wear item that get replaced about once every two years or so, sometimes more often.

On top of (well, under, technically) that I opted for Cilajet. It's basically another clear coat. I live at 7,000 feet above sea level and our sun is intense here year-round, so I figured it will at least slow down the sun damage and save me a quarterly hand waxing. I also got leather protector on the Windsor Leather interior as I have two sportsdogs and a 7-year old boy.
  • ForlornMTL
    Canada 

Mine's a lease so in 38 months i will return it and unless i get some big deep scratches i should be fine. Or so the sales director assured me. The rocker panel protection should suffice.

Looking at winter mats for the interior but the LR ones that came with it might do ok. It just doesn't go under the pedals.
    And might get a boot (trunk) floor rubber mat as it only cam with the extension (for the middle row).

For the outside i was thinking of a water repellent for the windscreen.

This might all change if i get into off roading more, still need to find proper places to go first.

• Chrismcnaz
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Loire Blue

Seems expensive. I will probably go with these guys http://chipguard.co.uk/car-protection/land-rover.html when get back to the UK and once they developed a D5 kit.

£199 for the base kit sounds pretty good though.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum