Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• maxmax
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Loire Blue

Shell App / Shell Fuel

I just used the built in Shell app from Incontrol to pay for diesel at the pump..... it was very easy, if a few pence more expensive than Sainsbury.

Steps:
    Download Shell app to phone
    Setup payment method and link Shell loyalty card
    Select Shell from Incontrol apps in car
    Whack in the pump number
    Wait to be told its authorised
    Get out the car
    Pump
    Get back in £90 lighter

After having the EGR valves fail on the previous Disco Sport at 20k miles due to "excessive short journeys" (mended under warranty, although in the process Inchcape broke the exhaust and re-fitted the brakes callipers without tightening the bolts, which then fell off jamming the wheel while Mrs was driving it home - hence the new car) I am pondering if Shell fuel is an expensive gimic or will help keep the engine unclogged.

HSE Lux MY17 in Loire Blue with deployable tow bar, activity key and cubby fridge. (And Apple CarPlay and Android Auto)
  • Hauser
    Germany 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Fuji White

Hi,

what the hell...?
    I am wondering since AGES, why there are only 13 apps available for for Incontrol Apps. AND why Shell isn't building it's app for Incontrol Apps.
    I just checked after reading your post: For me there is no Shell app available for Incontrol Apps. How did you get it there? Or does the list of apps differ from country to country?

Greets,
    Hauser

P.s. I am using Shell Smartpay since half a year now, so it's available in Germany. There is just no Shell Incontrol App.

Discovery 5 (MY 2021): HSE, D300, Fuji White
    Discovery Sport (MY 2016): HSE, TD4, Firenze Red w. black roof
  • 747_JK
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

I used to know a fairly senior technical person at Shell, and he told me to ensure one of every four fills was with V-Power to ensure the engine got all the benefits, but it wasn’t needed every time.

That said, I never EVER put supermarket fuel in my car under any circumstances. I’d rather pay a few pence more for a fuel with the goodness in it.
  • Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

There’s lots of debate on supermarket fuel v. a premium brand. Personally i think it’s a bit anal, I can’t get it locally, so I put up with whatever I can get.
  • Labbix

Haha, no choice in Albania Wink
  • Chalkys HSE
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Corris Grey

I was going to say........ it's nice we have the choice, at the end of the day it will burn on fuel from a much cheaper source than supermarket's offer.

And as for Shell, I filled up last winter with their fuel and the previous car to this one absolutely stank of fumes, i turned it off and the following morning it failed to start. long story short, fuel pump, EGR valves, injectors all blocked, Fortunately i spotted a Dad from my son's school on the forecourt as i was filling up. RRS, So i asked him if hed had any bother, he said it cut out on the way home missfiring and spluttering so he traded it in the next day, he didn't link it to the fuel.

2017 MY D5 HSE 3.0 Td6 Corris Grey, Side steps, roof rails,
  • maxmax
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Loire Blue

Hauser wrote:
    Hi,

what the hell...?
    I am wondering since AGES, why there are only 13 apps available for for Incontrol Apps. AND why Shell isn't building it's app for Incontrol Apps.
    I just checked after reading your post: For me there is no Shell app available for Incontrol Apps. How did you get it there? Or does the list of apps differ from country to country?

Greets,
    Hauser

P.s. I am using Shell Smartpay since half a year now, so it's available in Germany. There is just no Shell Incontrol App.

HSE Lux MY17 in Loire Blue with deployable tow bar, activity key and cubby fridge. (And Apple CarPlay and Android Auto)
  • graemesmith1960
    Scotland 

7th Disco, all run on Morrisons Diesel without any issues at all.

2019 Sd6 HSE Corris Grey
  • Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

Thumbs Up

Fuel has to be manufactured to a minimum standard. Expensive fuel = psychosomatic belief it’s better.
  • graemesmith1960
    Scotland 

Thumbs Up

My 'other' car is a Caterham 7. Loads of equine manure talked about fuel on various Caterham forums. I run it on Morrisions finest unleaded as that is what the ECU is mapped for out the box.

2019 Sd6 HSE Corris Grey
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum