Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• forever
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Silicon Silver

Tow bar options

My D5 did not come with a tow bar we are looking to use our Thule bike rack, anyone had an aftermarket one fitted?
  • NathanE
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Corris Grey

I have the same question, I seem remember it being much cheaper for the removable tow hitch to be fitted on the D4
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

The D5 has to have a whole new rear cross bar fitted which incorporates the tow bar receiver. There are a number of options for the cross bar dependant on what type of tow bar you have, electric, fixed removable etc
    This is why they are so expensive. When you actually look at it it is a massive lump of steel which bolts in place incorporating the receiver, electric plug plate and other items.

Personally I have the removable one fitted and am very pleased with it, it is well made and seems far better than the D3/4. It also comes with a plastic/foam insert to go in the boot to keep the tow bar clean and secure as well as plug for the new cross member and cover for the fitting plug part of the tow bar.

Take a look at this post
    https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/d5-detachab...p;start=30

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • Sodbury D5
    United Kingdom 

Hi zrussell,

Have ordered the removable tow bar but dealer is struggling to tell me what tech is enabled from a tow8ng point of view in the car, like is the hitch assist enabled in the rear view camera? Is there anything else funky that turns itself on?
    Thanks
    James
  • NathanE
    United Kingdom 

How much are paying for tow bars fitted? Not sure whether to ask the dealer and source one myself from “well known auction site” or `Duckworth’?
  • SHARKYSHARKS
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Just had a price from Farnell in Bury which was £900 for a fixed tow bar fitted !

And the delivered price from Duckworths was £620 inc vat and delivery but then another £108 for the rear panel !

So it’s £ 172 for the fitting Confused

But if you fitted it yourself you would still have to pay the stealers to enable it for you, so after that it really doesn’t seem a bad fitted price ! Thumbs Up
  • Andy3445
    United Kingdom 

Found these instructions on the Land Rover site to fit quite a few accessories, inc the tow bar.

http://accessories-instructions.landrover....y/G2011177

My D5 is fitted with removable tow bar, haven't tried fitting it yet but can't be any harder than a D4 Whistle Whistle
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum