Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• ravenkat
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Si6 HSE Scotia Grey

Towing Limits

Hi All,
    Had a question about towing limits. I noticed some discrepancy in the Owner's Manual (Pg 115) vs. the specifications in build document that got generated online for the order. I ordered mine (Si6) with the Tow Hitch & Electrical Connector option.

Owners Manual Towing Limits are as follows...
    Unbraked Trailer - 1654 lbs
    Trailer w/ overrun Brakes - 6614 lbs
    Unrestricted Trailer Tongue weight - 331 lbs
    Restricted Trailer Tongue weight - 550 lbs

Build Spec. lists them as follows...
    TOWING (TOWING PACK OPTION)
    Maximum towing - 8201 lbs
    Unbraked trailer - 1653 lbs
    Maximum coupling point/nose weight
    (Electrically Detachable Towbar) - 771 lbs
    Maximum vehicle and trailer
    combination/ Gross Train Weight - 14,617 lbs

Trying to figure out what the is maximum nose/tongue weight. Owners manual lists 331/550 lbs whereas online spec show it as 771 lbs. I am considering a twin axle trailer with 440 lbs of hitch weight.

Appreciate any insights. Thanks in advance.
  • ravenkat
    United States 

Quick update on this... I had reached out to Land Rover regarding towing limits and the following is the response. So it seems the max nose/tongue weight limit is 330 lbs for the standard hitch-connector available in NA models.

========================================
    Thank you for contacting the Land Rover Customer Relationship Center. I appreciate your inquiry. The Electronically Detachable Towbar is not available in the North American market, which is the 771lbs figure you mentioned.

Si6 Tow Capacity is 3720 kgs which is 8201 lbs

The max nose/tongue weight is 330 lbs. Max mass of unbraked trailer 1653lb

I hope this information is of use for you. If you have any questions or require additional information, please feel free to contact us at 1-800-637-6837, option 9, or by e-mail.

Sincerely,
    Customer Relationship Center Representative
    Jaguar Land Rover North America, LLC
  • jeb3
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Aruba

My manual also says 550 lbs tongue weight, so I reached out to Land Rover North America via email. I gave them my Vin number. I have a D5 Td6 HSE Lux with tow package. He explained the following in an email, I quote,

"Thank you for the email and highlighting this issue. The manual you pulled from the vehicle is incorrect and does not reflect the correct towing specifications. For your vehicle, the max tongue weight is 771 lbs and the max trailer weight, for the diesel, is 7716 lbs. We're very sorry for the inconvenience and we are working to have the manual corrected ASAP to ensure there are no more inconsistencies. I hope this resolves your concern and please let me know if you have any other questions."

I also called Land Rover North America and was given the same numbers verbally for my vin #, 771 lbs for tongue and 7716 for a diesel's max trailer weight.

This is good news, I was very concerned.

Hope this helps others.
    Jim
  • ravenkat
    United States 

That's great news! Thanks for sharing..
  • Nevetts
    United States 

Thanks for posting this info. Did you find out any info during your research about using a weight distribution hitch? It says in the manual online not to use one, but my research shows that’s due to the air suspension. However, the non-lux versions have coil springs.

I can’t imagine pulling a travel trailer of 6000 pounds and tongue weight of 700 pounds without a weight distribution hitch.

Finally...in case you don’t have the info, it seems your contact at Land Rover was a good one. Do you hear email address?

Thanks! I know some don’t like it, but I love the new Discovery and am trying to make it work as a tow vehicle!
    Steve
  • jeb3
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Aruba

I found a website called www.tfltruck.com
    They tested a Discovery 5 as a tow vehicle in Colorado. Their goal was to see how the new 3.0td6 engine performed pulling 7,000 pounds. Their focus was on MPG, but they talk about how well the vehicle/engine performed during the test. They did not comment or communicate any issues that the D5 had towing the trailer. I hope that this helps give a reference point on how well the D5 may perform as a tow vehicle.
    Here the is url for the specific video:
    http://www.tfltruck.com/2017/08/how-ford-f...y-highway/

Jeb3
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum