Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Ed Snow
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Scotia Grey

Thanks Pcheaven. Same question to you, does the electric sense a trailer is there when plugged in?

And did you power your reversing light directly from the thin yellow wire or did you route it to a relay and power the light from another more substantial + source?
  • Pcheaven
    United Kingdom 

Mine isn’t plugged in, so not sure what you mean

I connected it to the thin (.5 mm) yellow cable with brown stripe ( tow bar circuit - no canbus. Located as I pictured previously. No need for a relay.
  • Ed Snow
    United Kingdom 

Sorry if I didnt make my self very clear, what I mean is when you plug a trailer in to the 13pin socket does the car know there is trailer connected? Does the reverse parking sensors turn off? Does the trailor light indicator on the dash flash? etc etc. I just wanted the re-assurance your cars are programmed correctly to sense a trailer is plugged in, and hence also be re-assured that wiring as you have done does not upset the system.

If when you plug a trailer in it does not recognise that it is ie reverse sensors still come on then it could be your reverse light will be an issue once your towing module is programed in fully??

Thank you for your help. Very Happy
  • Big Al
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Corris Grey

I’ve just checked the LR iGUIDE: D5 Owners manual which states the following:

So according to this I read this that it only senses when using the turn indicators,, but it seems this isn’t reliable if using a trailer using LED lights.

So if it doesn’t guarantee sensing the trailer, then hopefully it won’t disable or affect the reversing sensors

However I’ve just found this which doesn’t help matters - clear as mud!!

• Big Al
    United Kingdom 

Stood behind my car this evening with a friend sat in the driving seat, it definately doesn’t disable the reverse sensors when using pins 8 & 3 to power the auxiliary led reversing lights.when reverse is selected.

I also checked whether the rear foglamps could also be enabled, which if it sensed a trailer connection it wouldn’t/shouldn’t permit these to operate either.
    Obviously the pertinent question to ask is, how does the D5 determine whether it has a trailer connected? It must use othe pins in the 13-pin euro trailer connection to determine if a trailer is present.
  • Big Al
    United Kingdom 

Ok i’ve just found out that generally pin 12 provides trailer detection, however in some circumstances the car may use a different algorithm to determine whether a trailer is connected, see below:

Quote:
    Some vehicles use the trailer grounding Pin 12 to signal to the vehicles ECU that a trailer is connected. The ECU uses this information in various ways – to change the ABS settings, alter the ESP programme and mute the reverse sensors (if fitted) along with on some vehicles turn off the rear fog lights on the vehicle. It is important then that you do not make any modifications to the trailers electrical system that affects the ground connection between Pin 12 and Pin 3 on your trailer. (NOTE: some pre 2012 caravans/trailers that use the 13 pin plug will not have implemented this, if you have just changed to a new tow vehicle, it is worth checking if your vehicle needs this and that the caravan/trailer is suitably wired).

Some vehicles do not use pin 12 to detect if a trailer is connected, they detect the presence of a trailer by sending signals via the CANBUS system to detect if trailer lights are present on the 13 pin towing socket. Its worth finding out how your vehicle detects the presence of a trailer.

The above text was taken from:
    https://caravanchronicles.com/guides/iso-1...nnections/
  • Ed Snow
    United Kingdom 

I think I conclude from that, that the car detects a trailer using the minimum requirements ie sends a check signal to brakes and indicators and looks for a minimum load. There is no minimum load to check for on the reverse so hence having a load all the time doesn’t matter. All in all I’m completely convinced I can connect extra reversing lights to the trailer reverse wire and not cause a malfunction. Just as soon as the lights are delivered and my towbar is fitted I’ll be playing around trying them out.

Thanks guys Thumbs Up

Still looking for a lip dimensions and close up photo of the lip I highlighted in one of my earlier posts if anyone can help?

Ta
  • Pcheaven
    United Kingdom 

Connecting extra lights to the trailer circuit ( no canbus) had no impact to reversing sensors or anything else on my car. I have driven over 1000 miles with my mini light bar (18w led) reversing light upgrade.
    It has been so effective I am considering fitting the other mini light bar I have spare ( matching the existing 18w one I already fitted)
  • Big Al
    United Kingdom 

I agree I’ve tested the electrics and it doesn’t effect anything adding in reversing lights.

I’ve been testing where/how to place some incredibly bright LED lights (1400 lumens) and see the following photos.

I’ve taken a couple standard galvanised brackets from Wickes for now and found that there’s a bracket either side under the rear bumper which has two plastic push studs into a metal supporting bracket.
    I’m considering replacing these push studs with bolts through this bracket, the bracket upon which I’m going to mount the LED lamp, and throughthe plastic bumper. This way I don’t need to drill or alter the car in any way 😁
    My concerns are the lamps may vibrate as it is effectively a mass on the end of a lever, so also considering extending my mounting bracket further up and attaching this to a threaded stud which can be seen in the photo.

In practice the LED lamps will be tight up under the bumper and angled down, so that they’re parallel to the ground, or pointing downwards slightly. I found mounting both lamps in this manner, either side, gave the clearest illumination both behind the car and also provided enough illumination when looking down the car in the side mirrors.

Reversing in pitch black with these LED definately turn night into day, and mounting lower down and 7nder the bumper there’s no glare on the rear camera.

When I ultimately make and fit my mounting brackets I’m considering using aluminium rather than galvanised steel.

All comments are most welcome. 😁

• Chrismcnaz
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Loire Blue

Loving your work sir. Thumbs Up
  • Ed Snow
    United Kingdom 

Hi Big Al, it looks like the bracket points could work well. Does it reduce your departure angle or is something still lower than it? I guess even if it is it would have to be very serious off roading to knock it but do you think it is exposed? Perhaps easier to tell once fitted in its final position and not from such a close up pic

Thanks for sharing your trials, will help me in a week or so I’m sure. Thumbs Up
  • Big Al
    United Kingdom 

I’ve a multi-height towbar which is lower , which would not doubt act like a plough! One idea was to fix something off the rear of the multi=height bracket which is very substantial. This would require angled metalwork under the rear bumper and generally means the LED lamps would be forward of the bumper. When I clamped the LED lamps in such a position I found the rear view camera experienced glare.

Whilst I can attach to the bracket shown in the photos the LED lamps still are a mass hanging under the rear of the bumperand if I dragged the arse of the car during a high departure angle these would foul so my thoughts have been that I’d have to mount through the bracket which currently has the push studs as well as higher up and perhaps even back towards somewhere else to make a reasonably rigid bracket. I’ve seen a fixing point higher up where the current bracket seems to be fixed to the rear bumper armature, but haven’t looked for something more sturdy further 7nder the car.
  • Ed Snow
    United Kingdom 

just to update you all on my 'upgrade'. Managed to buy a new unwanted towbar cover for £40 off ebay so I could drill holes in it and mess it up and not mess up the car if I got it wrong.

This is still work in progress with more pics to come once finished, including details of installation and part purchased to do the job, but just to give you a taster;

• Pcheaven
    United Kingdom 

Might just be the camera, but they don’t look that bright
  • Ed Snow
    United Kingdom 

It is camera settings to an extent. Just short of 1000lm should be bright enough. Another pic I took does show a bigger glow but best pic is likely when outside on the car.

• Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum