Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• B50int
    United Kingdom 

Big Al,

Where did you get the pins for the plugs and socket in the end? I want to make a similar ‘intercept’ adaptor on another part of the loom but the pre terminated pins seem to be £30-£40 each when you look them up!

Jon
  • harrythespider
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Aintree Green

Big Al.. I understand now.
    Question, ordinarily, i.e. in standard form, if a trailer is attached and reverse selected, do the cars reverse lights illuminate or are they 'isolated' and just the trailer lights operate.
    Also where did you get the terminal block and pins.
  • Ed Snow
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Scotia Grey

Car reversing lights are on regardless.
  • Big Al
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Corris Grey

Sorry for the delay in my response, I’ve been in deepest, darkest (literally!) Cornwall for a long weekend and the reversing lights definately got me out of a very, very tight squeeze.
    On Friday in all that wind and rain, driving over Dartmoor down tiny little lanes, having very high sides, and a couple of hundred metres down said lane my path was blocked by a fallen tree. I had to reverse back all the way and thank god for the reversing light upgrades, else my wife would have had to walk behind the car!,
    I did come across a 7’ wide bridge which was the tightest squeeze ever! 😁

With regards to the query about the plug/socket and pins I used, yes these were reassuringly expensive LR parts. You have to purchase both halves of the plug/socket separately at approx £3/5 each however it’s the cost of the prewired pins which were unbelievably expensive at approx £30 for each sides respective pins! So you need two sides worth of pins £60!. (thankfully for that price they are a set of 10) but really £3 for a pin and wire probably costing approx 10-15p (daylight robbery!).
  • Pcheaven
    United Kingdom 

It’s good to see others also upgraded their reversing lights

I plan to repeat what I did on my D5 on my velar sometime this weekend after the tow bar has been fitted

Dual mini led light bars this time. Dual circuit.
    With wireless ON / OFF to use as a work light, and ON / OFF via reversing light circuit
  • Big Al
    United Kingdom 

Check out,

https://responsevehiclelighting.co.uk/rvl-...white.html

As these tamps are certified and described as follows:

Uniquely designed, dependable, inexpensive, ECE REG 65 Approved LED surface/grill mount. These LED lights have been rigorously tested to handle all weather and road conditions. Rain, snow, hail, ice, salt, sleet and mud are no match to our lightheads.
  • Kuehltruhe
    Germany 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Fuji White

OK, I got fed up with those terrible reversing lights and invested about 25 EUR in this fabulous solution. I do not believe it gets any simpler than this:

No modification whatsoever needed on the car, easy to detach. Can be stolen - but why would anyone (except us Disco-owners) need something like this?
    Anyhow - I can finally see the curb in both mirror and rearview camera. Case closed.
  • harrythespider
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Aintree Green

Brilliant,,,BUT... mines a deployable towbar so can't use it Sad

3.0 HSE. climate HUD active diff. elec towbar. FBH and timed climate.Capability plus pack.split TV. surround sound. Intelligent seating. adaptive lights, wade sensing. 360 cameras.pro pack.cooler.advanced tow, auto park,activity key+ more!!!!
  • maxmax
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Loire Blue

Good work!

Useful possibly to know that power loom is there. It’s made me think about whether power could go from there up the D pillar and be useful for a rear dash cam.

HSE Lux MY17 in Loire Blue with deployable tow bar, activity key and cubby fridge. (And Apple CarPlay and Android Auto)
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

Big Al wrote:
    Sorry for the delay in my response, I’ve been in deepest, darkest (literally!) Cornwall for a long weekend and the reversing lights definately got me out of a very, very tight squeeze.
    On Friday in all that wind and rain, driving over Dartmoor down tiny little lanes, having very high sides, and a couple of hundred metres down said lane my path was blocked by a fallen tree. I had to reverse back all the way and thank god for the reversing light upgrades, else my wife would have had to walk behind the car!,
    I did come across a 7’ wide bridge which was the tightest squeeze ever! 😁

With regards to the query about the plug/socket and pins I used, yes these were reassuringly expensive LR parts. You have to purchase both halves of the plug/socket separately at approx £3/5 each however it’s the cost of the prewired pins which were unbelievably expensive at approx £30 for each sides respective pins! So you need two sides worth of pins £60!. (thankfully for that price they are a set of 10) but really £3 for a pin and wire probably costing approx 10-15p (daylight robbery!).

Big Al have you got a list of the LR Part numbers you brought please, I may be able to get them slightly cheaper if you can supply the numbers

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • Big Al
    United Kingdom 

See my previous post which has all the part numbers etc...

Big Al wrote:
    I’ve at last nearly resolved my new upgrade to the reversing lights, and will post further photo this evening showing the light spread.

I’ve tried reversing late last night in complete darkness in a very lane back lane and the lighting was superb, showing a huge difference on the reverse camera display but even more importantly permits you to use the wing mirrors effectively.
    I have mounted under the rear bumper since it reduces glare on the camera, and others possibly behind, but also Petey light spreads out to the side permitting you to look down the side of the car.

The light modules I’ve used are 16W 3xLED modules obtained from Response Vehicle Lighting

http://responsevehiclelighting.co.uk/produ...d-SlimLine™-Grill-%7B47%7D-Directional-LED-Light-%252d-12%7B47%7D24v-%252d-Amber%2C-Blue%2C-White%2C-Red%2C-Green.html

Presently the electrics are a bodge running from the 13-pin Euro trailer plug, but I wish to use the trailer wiring connector to drive my lights, and as such obtained both male and female C44-N1 & C44-N2 connectors.

Unfortunately these don’t seem to have come with pins, and so far these seem to be incredibly expensive prewired pins, approx £30 each, and I need 6x Male and 6x Female pins!

Basically I need the the pins from the following part numbers:

I’m looking to intercept the cars wiring loam connector so I don’t have to physically mess with either the cars wiring loom, and using a Male and Female connectors straight wired back to back it permits the raider wire harness to be attached too.
    All I need to do then is to intercept one of the wires to power my reversing lights.

The ground isn’t included within this connector so I still need to find a suitable ground, but hoping that most, if not all car bodywork is grounded and there’s a bolt hole somewhere in the rear I can use.

If anyone knows how/where I can obtain the relevant pins (not necassiriky prewired) at midnight Nima cost I’d be most grateful.

• Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

Thanks
    From the pictures I cannot make out the plug numbers so could you post please

As for the pin numbers am I right in saying they are

418-861
    and
    418-411-37

Cheers

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • Big Al
    United Kingdom 

Here you go, the necessary info.

and the parts required.

• Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum