Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Rockcypher
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Waitomo Grey

Crossbars...Better than expected!

Just took my first long road trip (700 miles) with the factory crossbars with very large Thule box on top. Still don’t like how the bars sit so high above roof line, but very, very impressed with almost total lack of additional wind noise. This was even during significant cross winds. Was concerned with rather narrow fore and aft spread distance between bars, but Thule box was quite stable, no fluttering observed of front of box where wind force is greatest.

2000 D2 (sold), 2004 D2 (sold), 2005 LR3 (Lives in CO), 2005 RR (sold), 2010 LR4 (sold), 2012 RR (sold), 2014 RR (sold), 2017 D5
  • Blackfly
    Canada 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Indus Silver

The spacing worries me I am seriously looking at roof top tents and spacing requirements seem to need a wider gap than LR bars provide.

F50, Fourtack, LR3 and now..............D5 HSE TDV6
  • Arslanoff
    Czech Republic 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

I am also looking for the possibility to install the roof top tent.
    I want to go for AutoHome Maggiolina Grand Tour Medium and the original crossbars is a pain.

- Minimum and Maximum front to rear bar spread recommended for Maggiolina is 30” (76 cm) Minimum, 54”(137 cm) maximum. The standard position of the roof bars is 75cm

- AutoHome recommends the length of the cross bars to be the same as the length of the tent. So the Grand Tour Medium is 145 cm and they are all between 130 to 160 cm.

- It is better to have 3 crossbars for the tent if you want to use highways with speeds 130+ km/h (recommended by AutoHome) With 2 crossbars they are not recommending to exceed 100 km/h.
    But the original crossbars are installed in small holes in the rails and you cannot move the bars to another position or install 3 bars

So my solution is to buy:
    - 3 Thule SquareBars 150 cm long
    - 3 kits Thule Rapid System 753 connectors
    - Make 3 new pairs of holes in the rails 130 cm between two centred to the roof of the car and one in the middle between them.

I will keep the Thule SquareBars installed on the tent and use the originals for bike or box transport, they are fine for that.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum