Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Chalkys HSE
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Corris Grey

5 Year Service Plan Yes OR No

So, I've managed to get my hands on a D5 HSE, Being delivered next week, it's brand new. I'm being told its pretty much imperative that i take out the Service Plan.

I've binned the LifeShine, Pretty much Sold on the GAP Insurance having just had a veh written off.

Question is, do i go for this? and should i require an oil service at 5,000 Miles like some of you are having i dont want to be arguing that i do not want that interim Oil service knocking off my annual service Plan.

I'd rather be arguing that they should be doing the interim's gratis free and then i'll pay as and when it reaches the criteria that they have stipulated, either Annually or 16,000 miles. Rather then them bending me over and knocking it off something that i.ve actually paid for.

What's your opinion.
  • Pcheaven
    United Kingdom 

Get the plan

My local dealer is doing the early interim services and early oil changes under warranty, no impact to the service plan.
  • Chalkys HSE
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Corris Grey

Thumbs Up
  • neilk
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Loire Blue

Same for me - keep within the mileage and they will have a tough time forcing any of the “driving style” cop outs.
  • hatjoepeg
    United Kingdom 

its a no brainer. I have done 24k in just under a year.
    Main dealer made me pay for the first 'oil change' (5k) as my 'driving style' had made it happen! After advice on here I argued and got the money back.
    It has just had its third service (minor oil again) and again the company line was that I would have to pay for it.......luckily the service guy that now looks after me didn't try to charge, knowing that I would go ape!
    I am resigned to the fact that my service plan will run out at 50k so probably next year, but at the current rate that will mean I will have had 6 services of various types all under my service plan.
    There is definately something wrong here though, surely as vehicles develop, service intervals should be longer rather than shorter? I seem to remember in an Audi I had 10 years ago, you could opt for 'special oils' and have 24 month service intervals?
  • hatjoepeg
    United Kingdom 

oh, and they topped up Thumbs Up 16l of adblue for nothing............
  • DG
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Fuji White

I didn't bother this time ...the service interval for mine is 2 years \ 21k miles and I will only have the motor for 3 years, so paying for one service vs the plan is a no brainer Smile
  • VeryDisco5
    United Kingdom 

hatjoepeg wrote:
    There is definitely something wrong here though, surely as vehicles develop, service intervals should be longer rather than shorter??

What's wrong is that the poor architecture and hardware design of the D5 3L exhaust system requires more post injection of fuel to clean the DPF which, in turn, is diluting the engine oil. The car estimates the dilution level as being some proportion of the injected fuel and adjusts the miles to next service accordingly. The underlying oil dilution is a feature that won't go away until the architecture is improved. The indication is another matter,

JLRP00100 July 2017
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum