Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• simonh
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Farallon Black

Totally agree. The dealer is not responsible for poor product design, engineering and software. They are just left facing the customer and having to do all the work on LR's behalf. Believe me, the Disco Sport is full of issues compared to the D5. Mine are just infotainment bugs. The odd rattle and that's it. My first Sport was built like crap. The replacement (newer MY) was far far better and MY18's better still. Pretty sure a MY18 D5 will exhibit the same rise on quality compared to the early First Editions.

I am very lucky to have Shukers. They are excellent and I have never felt let down by them ever. Good dealers are like gold dust - probably rarer!

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
    Served by the excellent Shukers Land Rover of Ludlow - 10 Land Rover’s and 20 years of amazing customer service.
  • Chrismcnaz
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Loire Blue

I must say that my confidence in the brand took a huge battering when my 45 mile old Lux broke down an hour after I collected it. The dealer took my wrath but actually it was a coolant hose that wasn’t fitted correctly at the factory that was to blame. I apologised to the dealer afterwards when I had calmed down but you just don’t expect his sort of thing to happen to a premium brand that you have paid a lot of money for.
  • RedBall
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

I had a call yesterday afternoon shortly after emailing/posting the letter to say that the car was fixed.

Its not exhibited any signs of the problem for the last week and theyve had it parked out in the snow and on cctv so they can see if its unlocking itself overnight etc..

I still dont know if they are confident they found the rogue component, or if its just doing exactly the same thing as before and the car has just fixed itself again with a few more bits swapped out for good measure.

Ive asked to see if they can put something in writing to say if this same fault appears again, that there will be no faffing around trying to discover the cause and swaping of even more parts, there will just be a replacement vehicle ordered. Im hopeful they will be able to accomodate this. Though in all honesty if it does suffer the same fault again, Ill be rejecting it anyway and getting solicitors involved if there isnt an immediate offer to replace the car.

Seems I wont be making use of the five year service plan either because there is no way in Hell Im keeping a car with an intermittent fault such as this beyond the warranty period, especially as there doesn't seem to be any definitive answer as to what the problem was/is. Ive learnt my lesson on buying a new model, and if I do buy from JLR again, it certainly wont be the "first edition" of anything, ever.
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Words of wisdom there Redball.

Likewise, i wont be touching anything with a FE badge either, as much as i thought it was a good idea at the time, and getting brownie points from the MRS. This is the first time i ever bought straight after release.

I assummed that having all 4 previous Disco models that by the time i received this one that there would be no problems. Surely it would be plain sailing and LR would have ironed out all the problems years ago i thought. How wrong was i Shocked

The local salesman informed me that he would never ever buy a brand new model.
    Wait 6 months too 1 year before all the gremlins are sorted out he said. I will take the salesmans advice in the future. Rolling Eyes
  • J77
    Scotland 

Makes no difference when you buy. First Edition means nothing, my SE was built only a couple of weeks after the First Edition.

18MY cars suffering the same faults as 17MY cars, a year into production and the infotainment system still doesn’t work 100% how it should.

LR build lemons regardless of how long they’ve been in production.

18MY Velar R-Dynamic SE D240 Fuji White
  • Chalkys HSE
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Corris Grey

I agree, a mate of mine has an FE and he’s not had one minutes problem with it, they’re all pretty much the same and the specific problems that you are encountering seems like a component part failure, something which JLR don’t really have any control over. Quality control aside once it’s fitted to the vehicle it’s just accepted that it will continue to work for the lifetime of the vehicle.

JLR do build lemons though, But for the most part if you can get a good one then keep it.
    Your Dealer should move you out of that one and into something a bit better suited. Don’t leap too early into the Vogue though as they aren’t without fault either. I’ve gone through 6 at work in the past 3 years and although it’s fair to say there has been no major failures, these issues have all related to software updates, two had power steering problems, but every time the fault appeared on a new one the service manager said exactly the same thing, “oh...... we have t seen this before”. Really,

Remember the grey one, then the black one..... they both did it now this one has the same problem.

It’s all part of being a LR enthusiast.

2017 MY D5 HSE 3.0 Td6 Corris Grey, Side steps, roof rails,
  • RedBall
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

Just to conclude this topic, the dealer got me my own car back, fault fixed (touch wood). It was a problem with a component in the drivers door, or at least the issue stopped when that was replaced.

It got a slight ding in the back door edge whilst it was there, but I'm hopeful a very good dent repairer can sort that.

It didn't have the software updated to version 3, but its not showing as due for my car - I can only assume it has again been pulled for cars with Rear Seat Entertainment.

Part of me wanted rid of this one with the problems, but the car tax hike and possibility of JLR wriggling out of the frequent oil changes within my 5 year service plan due to new wording on the MY18 was a concern. A circa £3000 cost over the five years I estimated.

Not had too many issues since its return. Slow boot up of media, radio deciding not to work for first ten minutes of one journey, tyre pressure monitoring system fault for a day or two. And the sat nav now seems to take an age between selecting the destination and allowing you to press "start".

Hopefully I may get version 3 of the software at some point and that may clear up a few of these other issues.

My confidence in the JLR products has taken quite a knock, but my confidence in the professionalism of this dealership is very high. So JLR may yet sell me that vogue.

As an aside, I've been advised that problems with the new dual touch screens in the vogue are quite common, certainly compared to the velar. Flickering screens, constantly tilting and retracting screens etc. Electronic systems again. Do the electronics team have some embarrassing photos of senior managers in suspenders and whipping gear or something? Its the only explanation I can think of as to why that department haven't been replaced. Laughing
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

RedBall, fingers crossed its fixed now, as its a stunning looking motor. Thumbs Up
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum