Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Down & Dirty
    United Kingdom 

Mudflap

Firstly apologies if in the wrong section,but can’t seem to find any info on site.
    Has anyone fitted genuine Land Rover front/rear mudflap s.?
    If so how do you rate the job much messing about or straight forward?
    Anyone got the fitting instructions?

Thanks in advance Thumbs Up
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

You have to drill through the face of the bumper for the rears certainly, this means if you take the mud flaps off you end up with a visual hole hence I have stayed clear but am trying to find other options

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • Down & Dirty
    United Kingdom 

Thanks Russell Bow down

Just found front rear fitting instructions on line,i see what you mean Thumbs Up
  • IanH
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Santorini Black

I’ve booked mine in for fitting front and rear in two weeks. Fed up with getting stone damage etc from the roads here in Scotland so trying to mitigate things (my DS is only 7 weeks old). Could do it myself but don’t really have suitable jacking facilities re taking wheels off and working on the car so hence getting the dealer to supply and fit

Santorini/Ebony HSE TD6 MY18
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 

I would not go down the route on the LR ones where you drill the bumber as can see serious damage coming along if you catch them on anything

Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • IanH
    Scotland 

Russell you mentioned in an earlier post you were looking for alternatives. Did you find any - I know there are some of dubious quality and origin advertised on eBay

• Russell
    United Kingdom 

No not yet and I wish I could find some

• Red5
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (180) S Firenze Red

Mudflaps

I've not bothered with the LR mudflaps. They are well overpriced for starters and if you look at some fitted they do not cover the wheel so you still get mud etc thrown up.
    I've had them on my other Discos only because they were fitted as part of a deal but always found the side steps were always covered with mud etc. so flaps were not doing much of a job other than looking pretty.
    I'll wait till I can find some after market ones that do the job properly.
  • Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

I’ve got some genuine rear mudflaps. Like most, I am not keen on plunging a 10mm drill into the plastic for the top locator. I am mulling over removing this locator with a Dremell and simply fixing it with the screws, brackets and self adhesive strips.
  • IanH
    Scotland 

It’s a couple of months now since I had mine fitted, and yep they weren’t cheap but they do keep the dirt down. Was a shame the trim had to be drilled though

• graemesmith1960
    Scotland 

Fitted genuine ones yesterday. Did it without having to remove the rear wheels although instructions says you need to. A bit fiddly due lack of space with rear wheels still on but do able. Front ones pretty easy. You do need to drill a hole for the rear ones but it's only through thin plastic which if you hit something hard enough to rip the mudflap off you are going to lose the rear plastic regardless of what type of flaps you have fitted.

Originally got some cheap third party ones off eBay. They were rubbish. Apart from being too thin the front ones needed 3 holes drilled for each one and the fixings were not up to the job. The rears didn't need any drilling but because of that they didn't look like they would be overly secure.

The JLR fixings are actually pretty good. Much better than the Disco 4 version.

Also, I've drilled plastic parts on previous Disco's then removed the offending accessory before selling the car. JLR plastic parts are not actually that extortionate. Certainly cheaper replacing plastic than buying the accessory again.

2019 Sd6 HSE Corris Grey
  • Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

The temptation is still there to remove the metal locator lugs and rely on the adhesive and the other fixings.
  • graemesmith1960
    Scotland 

The adhesive is really strong. I ended up pulling at the front mudflap to align it with the bottom fixing and managed to pull the entire plastic trim off the side! I reckon the rear will rip the plastic side off just with the adhesive alone. To be fair, the side trims are not that secure in the first place but at least the clips don't shatter when you do pull stuff off. The D4 was a nightmare for that and I ended up buying a big bag of trim clips from JLR just for it.

2019 Sd6 HSE Corris Grey
  • JBFUK
    United Kingdom 

Anyone removed the lugs and just stuck them on, as per DangerDave's suggestion?
  • conts355
    United Kingdom 

Is there any recommendation's for online parts ie genuine mud-flaps etc
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum