Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Rockcypher
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Waitomo Grey

Starting to get some road noise, but generally no louder than the td6. I have around 25K on them now, they were on my 2014 RR for about 20K, and the dealer swapped them to the Discovery when I traded. I think they ride very well on the pavement, have always given a sense of confidence. This winter will be my first full one in Colorado, so we will see how they preform over the long haul in snow conditions, but they always have done well on shorter trips to the mountains.

2000 D2 (sold), 2004 D2 (sold), 2005 LR3 (Lives in CO), 2005 RR (sold), 2010 LR4 (sold), 2012 RR (sold), 2014 RR (sold), 2017 D5
  • Blackfly
    Canada 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Indus Silver

DieselRanger wrote:
    Winter: If you can get them where you live, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 SUV is an astonishingly good snow tire. Low rolling resistance, amazing winter grip. New set going on my new Disco in the next couple weeks.

Off-road: I have 20's, and I plan to upgrade to 275/55-20 Goodyear Wrangler All-Terrain Adventure or perhaps Conti TerrainContact A/T. I was soft-roading in Crested Butte, CO a few weeks ago and flatted one of the OEM Goodyears on literally a pebble. A razor-sharp shale pebble, but it was a pebble nonetheless. Good thing I chose the full-sized spare.

Stupid question, will the full size wheel fit in the under body stowage position?

F50, Fourtack, LR3 and now..............D5 HSE TDV6
  • AndrewS
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Silicon Silver

Yes
  • Blackfly
    Canada 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Indus Silver

Perfect many thanks(have a feeling I have asked this before)

F50, Fourtack, LR3 and now..............D5 HSE TDV6
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

Blackfly wrote:
    DieselRanger wrote:
    Winter: If you can get them where you live, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 SUV is an astonishingly good snow tire. Low rolling resistance, amazing winter grip. New set going on my new Disco in the next couple weeks.

Off-road: I have 20's, and I plan to upgrade to 275/55-20 Goodyear Wrangler All-Terrain Adventure or perhaps Conti TerrainContact A/T. I was soft-roading in Crested Butte, CO a few weeks ago and flatted one of the OEM Goodyears on literally a pebble. A razor-sharp shale pebble, but it was a pebble nonetheless. Good thing I chose the full-sized spare.

Stupid question, will the full size wheel fit in the under body stowage position?

Got 22"in mine from the factory

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

Blackfly wrote:
    DieselRanger wrote:

Yes, my 275/55-20 Cooper Discoverer AT3 fits perfectly in the under body carrier - no modifications required! It's about 1" greater diameter than the stock 20". Not much room left...you could probably get a tire that's 2" larger but that might be sticky seating it into the recess.
  • Craigp
    England 

Forgive me if I'm wrong but I thought the outside diameter were all the same or Speedo etc would be wrong. Obviously not sure about off road tyres that's why I'm asking.
  • DieselRanger
    United States 

Yes, for a 275/55-20 your speedometer will be off, but at that size, if your speedometer is indicating 60mph, you're only traveling 61.7mph. At 80mph indicated you're traveling 82.3. enough for a speed camera to trigger? I don't know, but here in the States, police don't usually bother if you're less than 10 over on the interstate/motorway unless in some kind of construction zone or other restricted condition, or you're driving like a dick.

Heres a good reference: https://tiresize.com/calculator/

Unfortunately it does not provide any calculation as to WHP/WTQ loss. But I'd bet it's minimal for this vehicle - it certainly doesn't feel any slower. For this tire, it's an extra 3lb unsprung weight at each corner and it doesn't seem to negatively affect ride quality or handling.
  • jeb3
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Aruba

Original tires are worn. Plan to replace with 275x55 20 KO2. Prior to buying I wanted to get confirmation from others who have gone with the 275x55 size that they fit the D5 at all heights and at full deflection without any rubbing. Also, has anybody tried the General Grabber ATX?
    thanks
    jim
  • DieselRanger
    United States 

My 275/55's have done well. No rubbing at any height or steering angle or any degree of articulation.

Now that I know 18" Compomotive wheels fit I may go to those next with off-road tires and put road-focused tires back on my 20's though.
  • Labbix

Not available for 6 cylinders though:

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION:

The Compomotive PD1881 for the new Discovery 5. These 18″ wheels fit the Land Rover Discovery 5 SD4 ENGINE ONLY. They do NOT fit the SD6 3 litre engine.

This wheel has been specifically designed to give new Discovery 5 owners the oppurtunity to fit genuine off road tyres.

OFFSET - ET33

Available in Satin Black or Anthracite Grey.

See: https://www.voguexpeditions.com/products/c...iscovery-5
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
  • Mikmillar89
    United Kingdom 

1880 fit on my 19 plate sdv6 with the big brakes, its tight but they do clear everything.
  • Labbix

Good to know they do fit, both on TD6 and SD6!
  • jeb3
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Aruba

Thanks for the prompt reply, very helpful. I am going to buy 275x55 20. I reached out to Compomotive about their 18" and was told that since I have a 2017 D5 td6 that the rears would not fix. sent me pictures of stampings on rear brake calipers that do work, my brake calipers are different so no 18" for my D5.
    Jim
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum