Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• RB
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Corris Grey

Have to say I think no leather care is pretty poor given what we are spending on these cars! And disappointed the manual references a screen clean cloth the velars seems to get but don’t seem to be supplied with D5’s

MY18 Corris Grey HSE Lux TDV6
  • J77
    Scotland 

To fair I’ve never had a cloth supplied with any LR with a screen but the Velar really needs one as it’s all screens, though before I found it I just used a big fluffy microfibre.

18MY Velar R-Dynamic SE D240 Fuji White
  • RB
    United Kingdom 

I want to go back and revisit the cruise control issues I raised earlier in this post, I found something out yesterday and thought I would share

I have adaptive cruise control, when following another car which slows to below my set speed the car will brake and slow, however on a downhill section of road, the just seems to run away and will require manual braking to prevent overspeed (although I ran out of hills & time to test, it did seem to slow the car once about 12+MPH over the set speed! not sure need more testing)

HOWEVER, if I disable follow mode and revert to basic cruise the car WILL BRAKE to maintain speed, it seems to be held 2-3 MPH over the set speed rather than the actual speed but this will be a major plus for me when towing the caravan. Very Happy Thumbs Up Very Happy Thumbs Up

Maybe I should post this in TIP & TRICKS, but as my original comment was here I updated here!

• LukasW
    Czech Republic 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

How do you 'disable' the follow mode?

If I am not mistaken (quickly checked the iGuide also), the car enters and leaves the follow mode automatically, whenever another vehicle gets in/out of sight of the onboard radar. There's no way you can operate the cruise control in the traditional unadaptive way in a car fitted with adaptive cruise control IMHO, because of safety concerns (to prevent any risk of confusion).

Even if the radar gets obstructed because of mud or snow, the cruise control switches itself off completely rather than falling back to the traditional unadaptive CC mode.
  • RB
    United Kingdom 

Hi LukasW, you can switch back to normal cruise (speed only) by holding the GAP reduce button for 5 seconds - Turn Follow Mode Off is the correct description for it, you can then re-enable by pressing GAP increase.

http://www.ownerinfo.landrover.com/documen...c/G2043327

Rob

• LukasW
    Czech Republic 

Interesting, we don't get this info in MY17 handbook/iGuide. Wondering if it's beacause the feature is MY18 specific or just an ommission in the MY17 handbook. I will check later.

Anyway it's the first time I hear about being able to disable the adaptive function of an ACC . So far my experience with ACC in other cars was it's all or nothing.
  • LukasW
    Czech Republic 

So I tried to turn off the follow mode by the procedure as per RB's description on the MY2017 Discovery and SUCCESS. Needed to reduce the gap step by step to one bar first though, otherwise holding the button did not disengage the follow mode.

I tested the downhill speed keeping too, but with confusing results. The car seems to brake after all (irrespective of whether the cruise control is in the adaptive or non-adaptive mode), but in a very liberal way, only after the speed exceeds the set speed by some 10+ km/h. However when I reduced the set speed, the car braked more aggressively and reduced the speed to the set one pretty much immediately.

For the sake of comparison I tested how ACC behaves in our company Skoda Superbs and they seem to keep the set speed downhill pretty much accurately engaging brakes swiftly when necessary, should the hill make the car go faster.
  • RB
    United Kingdom 

Hi LukasW, I agree, the VW implementation is much better at holding the speed (as are all the others I have used, including VW / BMW / Merc ), however something is better than nothing! Now that we know it does do proper braking, I guess we can hope it will improve with future updates to the cars firmware (although it is JLR so I won't hold out too much hope, given their track record on SW fixes/updates Big Cry !)

• Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum