Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Mark B
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Montalcino Red

Suspension failure fault.

Thought I’d pop this on here in case anyone else has the same issue.

Was driving back from Manchester late the other night and this fault appeared on the dash.
    “Suspension failure fault “
    I stopped and restarted several times to see if it would clear but didn’t. I thought it might just have been a software glitch.

Because it was 1am I had to carry on back and risk it. The car drove ok but I did notice most things wouldn’t work.
    For example the cruise control wouldn’t enable, the sat nav stayed on daylight mode so was quite distracting at that time in the morning.

Anyway, rang my local dealer the next day but they said they couldn’t fit me in for a few days and recommended I rang Landrover Assist.

I must say they were excellent. They had someone out within a couple of hours.
    After doing all th diagnostic checks it turned out that a part had failed going into the compressor in the boot. We could hear it hissing when everything was removed.
    He told me the compressor unit is now being put in some other models as well.
    What was annoying was landrover have now riveted the compressor housing and bits inside now. So he had to drill them all out.

He actually had the new part with him as it happens. Makes me think this might be a known fault, or maybe I’m being cynical.
    Anyway, he had it all done and fixed within an hour so a big hats off to him.
  • simonh
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Farallon Black

Good result in the end. Crazy they rivet it in though !

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
    Served by the excellent Shukers Land Rover of Ludlow - 10 Land Rover’s and 20 years of amazing customer service.
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

Re: Suspension failure fault.

Mark B wrote:
    Thought I’d pop this on here in case anyone else has the same issue.

Was driving back from Manchester late the other night and this fault appeared on the dash.
    “Suspension failure fault “

I must say they were excellent. They had someone out within a couple of hours.
    After doing all th diagnostic checks it turned out that a part had failed going into the compressor in the boot. We could hear it hissing when everything was removed.
    He told me the compressor unit is now being put in some other models as well.
    What was annoying was landrover have now riveted the compressor housing and bits inside now. So he had to drill them all out.

He actually had the new part with him as it happens. Makes me think this might be a known fault, or maybe I’m being cynical.
    Anyway, he had it all done and fixed within an hour so a big hats off to him.

I received a notice in the mail several weeks ago about this, and mine was just fixed on a service campaign at the dealer yesterday. These are the North American codes from TOPIX:

N135NAS2 - Air Suspension and Adaptive Damping Warning Message:
    An issue has been identified on certain vehicles within the listed Affected Vehicle Range which may
    display an Adaptive Damping (AD) warning message on the Instrument Cluster (IC). Investigations have
    identified that Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) U3000-04 may be stored in the Chassis Control Module
    (CHCM), leading to the warning message being displayed within the IC. The warning message will
    remain present until the ignition has been cycled 'OFF' and then 'ON' but will be displayed again until
    the update listed within the Diagnostic Procedure below is completed.

N141NAS1 - Suspension Air Supply Unit Expansion Chamber:
    An issue has been identified on certain vehicles within the listed Affected Vehicle Range where a
    hissing or single pop noise may occur. The vehicle then displays a suspension warning message on the
    Instrument Cluster (IC), which can lead to a loss of functionality to the vehicle’s suspension ride height
    adjustment.
  • Mark B
    United Kingdom 

That sounds about right.
    When he opened up the compressor housing we found what looked like a small plastic expansion unit that had split.
    He had a spare plus all the new rivits and fitted it.
    Like I said, I was quite impressed with Landrover Assistance with the speed they came out and the time he took to fix it.

Just a quick edit. If it’s a know fault I’m a bit Censored off they didn’t do anything as I’ve only had it serviced a few weeks ago
  • RyanRC
    United States 

Hello Mark B.

If you don't mind I just had a couple of questions on this for you...

1: When this happened did you happen to have tried any of the manual suspension height mode changes or noticed if any of the automatic ones stopped working?

Probably would have been smart not to manually try any just in case you made anything worse, but just thought I would ask.

2: Now that the repair has been made, have all the other oddities you noticed gone back to normal?

Thanks.
  • Blackfly
    Canada 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Indus Silver

Impressed that in the uk LRA can actually assist. My one experience in Canada last year was that unless you needed a jumpstart, fuel or a wheel changing it was onto a flat bed and off to a dealer.

I suspect it may be a liability issue but that’s how it is Big Cry

F50, Fourtack, LR3 and now..............D5 HSE TDV6
  • Mark B
    United Kingdom 

RyanRC wrote:
    Hello Mark B.

If you don't mind I just had a couple of questions on this for you...

1: When this happened did you happen to have tried any of the manual suspension height mode changes or noticed if any of the automatic ones stopped working?

Probably would have been smart not to manually try any just in case you made anything worse, but just thought I would ask.

2: Now that the repair has been made, have all the other oddities you noticed gone back to normal?

Thanks.

I didn’t try the suspension height adjust but did try the terrain response to see if it worked.
    Nothing. That came up on the dash saying unavailable.
    After it had been fixed by Landrover assist everything else has now gone back to normal.

He said to me that when 1 part fails sometimes they have a hissy fit and the other areas stop working as they are interlinked.
    Thankfully all working fine again now.
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

Blackfly wrote:
    Impressed that in the uk LRA can actually assist. My one experience in Canada last year was that unless you needed a jumpstart, fuel or a wheel changing it was onto a flat bed and off to a dealer
    I suspect it may be a liability issue but that’s how it is Big Cry

Yeah, it may be easier to provide factory-trained and equipped support on a little island Laughing than it is to provide it across a continent stretching close to three thousand miles coast to coast. Here in the States I think they just contract with the same roadside assist companies and local tow operators who support the insurance providers and AAA, so beyond bringing a jerrycan of fuel and snide remarks, there isn't much they're going to do for you here besides give you a tow.

I will say that my dealer told me a nice pre-sales yarn about the time the dealer owner drove four hours out with his top mechanic and his personal Landie to meet a customer whose Rangie had broken down high upon some Rocky Mountain pass, gave the customer his Landie and stayed with the mechanic to fix the problem. I asked how many Range Rovers I had to buy before I got that treatment, or was that part of the warranty, and he changed the subject. Rolling Eyes
  • Mark B
    United Kingdom 

I have to say I was very impressed with Landrover assist.

I’ve unfortunately had to use them twice now. I mentioned the one the other day with the suspension failure. What I forgot to mention is he came out with a stocked up Transit Van with its own little workshop in the back. Very impressive.

The first time I had to use them was when my wife was involved in a bad crash. With our previous Discovery
    Completely not her fault as an old lady came flying out of a side road in front of her.

The Car was undrivalble and the police had it removed by a local towing company.
    Next day she rang Landrover Assist.
    They asked where the car was and to inform our insurance that they were dealing with it now.

Within 12 hrs the car was at Landrover to be repaired, a replacement Discovery was on the drive within 24 hrs and they dealt with everything.

The only thing we had to do was pick our car up when it was fixed.

I have to say I was mightily impressed. We had to do absolutely nothing apart from 1phone call.
  • Ray Lewis
    Germany 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Corris Grey

Suspension fault

Just had pretty much an identical experience with the fault message coming up after a minute or two of running, limiting the car to normal ride height whilst the orange triangle stayed up.
    Into the dealer workshop today (I'm in Germany) where they identified a 'split pressure storer' (my translation) in the compressor.

It's a TDV6 MY17
  • STOAT
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Scotia Grey

I fixed the same issue this week via the DIY route after Dash Suspension Fault warning and vehicle at access level during trip home.

For those of you out of warranty / without deep pockets (even for a LR owner...) I thought this might be helpful info.
    Interestingly this problem is subject to a TSB on certain 2017 VIN numbers in the USA but not in the UK.

Really sorry I took no photos but it is a straightforward job if you take your time.

The compressor expansion chamber had ruptured as per OP story above (Part No. LR140035 replaces LR095836).

It is easy to check source of suspension leak in this case - open tailgate and use the raise button in load space console and you should be able to hear a hissing sound on right side rear of load space over the sound of compressor if you put an ear to the load space floor.

Remove rear load panel - 7x T20 torx and 2x Philips screws (7 seater - 5 seater may be different) to expose the compressor unit. Remove compressor retaining bolts, electrical connectors and undo air supply line connector at vertical connector valve (LR083989) and pull out compressor.

Use 4mm drill bit and carefully remove rivets from outer casing. Remove outer casing and then remove several more rivets from inner casing... Remove inner casing to reveal the compressor and the black expansion chamber. Remove 2 more rivets from chamber and release it from short internal air line.

The replacement chamber which fortunately was in stock at local LR dealer comes with enough rivets to put the casing back together but is 2 short as you need to rivet the chamber back in place - require 4mm x10mm or 12mm rivets.

Reassembly is for once as easy as the reverse of removal.

Land Rover recommend replacing up to 3 Voss air-line connectors and the connector valve but I did not find that necessary. I tested the repair before replacing the compressor covers and realised how effective the sound insulation is when reassembled!

All is well now apart from rear offside suspension being about 20mm lower than the other corners at each preset level. Hopefully an update to the iid tool /suspension recalibration will fix that.

Incidentally I suspect there may be a connection with parking the rear of the D5 in full sun for 3 very hot days and the component failure which may have softened the chamber adhesive as it is manufactured in 2 parts - but then again may be a coincidence.

Hope that helps someone.

2017 D5 HSE Grey
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum