Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• RB
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Corris Grey

Dash Cam Recommendation/advice

Never had a dash cam before but really want to get something.

From the forums it would seem several members have Blackvue’s (f&r) and I do like the idea of the cloud monitoring but seems like this would need another mifi device wired into the car as I am sure the cars hotspot will shutdown when parked?

I know it will be subjective but any recommendation / avoids appreciated as there are so many out there and the online reviews aren’t consistent, ideally would like front and rear recording,

Thx

Rob

MY18 Corris Grey HSE Lux TDV6
  • rogersmj
    United Kingdom 

I have a FineVu HD Pro in my D5, fantastic dash cam, saved me twice. Its a no frills dash cam, with a brilliant camera and totally faultless. However, they aren't easy to get hold of as they are Korean and it cost me about £250 a few years ago (I also had it in my D4).

The rest of the family have gone for the Garmin 55 Dash Cam, which looks and seems to perform well. It has some of the added extras you come to expect on dash cams these days (i.e. lane monitoring, traffic moving monitoring and Wi-Fi so you can view your recordings via your phone). Only downside we have found with this dash cam is that you can only have 1 minute recordings, theres no option to change this for longer segments. Apart from that it seems a good one to go for, Think Amazon sell them for around £120.

Take a look at this post for some pics I uploaded.

https://disco5.co.uk/forum/thread500.html?

• RB
    United Kingdom 

Hi rogersmj, I had initially wanted something for both front and rear, but in the end, after your recommendation I went for a Garmin 55 Plus from Halfords which has a polariser to help with reflections and glare.

The non plus unit did seems to get some good reviews and one of the big pluses for me was the sheer size of the unit, it is so much smaller then a nextbase 412 or similar and the adhesive screen mount is so much smaller than any of the suction mounts so will tuck away nicely behind the rear view mirror

Have also gone for the hardwire kit so will be able to use the park mode, not normally a problem, but will be good to have if it works without killing the car battery

Should be here tomorrow so will have an hour to kill whilst I get it installed

Thanks for the recommendation,

Rob

• simonh
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Farallon Black

Also looking at the Gamin unit (thanks for the 55 Plus tip) so will be interested to see some photos of it when you have it installed. Also how you route the power to the thing.

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
    Served by the excellent Shukers Land Rover of Ludlow - 10 Land Rover’s and 20 years of amazing customer service.
  • rogersmj
    United Kingdom 

Hi RB,

more than welcome, I hope its a full success!

• RB
    United Kingdom 

Hi simonh,

I have only done a temporary install at the moment but will give you the idea

The cable is tucked into the headlining passenger side, runs behind the top of the a-pillar trim panel and then down behind the door rubber.

It is mounted lower that I would have liked, however this was the best spot I could find!

As I was only testing it for the time being I have used the Cigar Lighter in the upper glovebox, however I am now pretty happy with it (not really sure the polariser is making that much difference though!) so I will need to change to the parking mode cable which I purchased and connect directly in to the fuse box behind the lower glovebox using some piggyback blade fuses I got from Amazon.

Sample Video footage

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0a12uxu9qef3s6c/IMG_0278.mp4?dl=0

Hope it helps

Rob

• simonh
    United Kingdom 

Many thanks Rob

Bought the 55 Plus today so this will be very help full. Was thinking of using the same 12V socket too.

Video looks good. Is that at 1440 or 1080 ?

I thought the wide angle would be wider though. Tried mine set to centre for the mounting position in the house and it seemed like wider angle footage than what you’ve posted...

Might try and mount mine on the drivers side though so I can use the buttons if need be.

Cheers Smile

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
    Served by the excellent Shukers Land Rover of Ludlow - 10 Land Rover’s and 20 years of amazing customer service.
  • RB
    United Kingdom 

The video is 1440 HDR @ 30fps

Be interested to see how you get on and if you think your has a wider angle?

• simonh
    United Kingdom 

HDR is only available in 1080p mode not 1440 according to the settings...

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
  • RB
    United Kingdom 

Sorry your correct, I remember now when setting it up, I thought hdr more important than the extra resolution, although I really need to test them all out when I get the time. Sorry for any confusion!

• simonh
    United Kingdom 

No worries. I just wondered if you had a different software version that had 1440 HDR support Wink

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
  • simonh
    United Kingdom 

Photo 3 - How did you thread it behind the lower glove box and out again ?

Not had a proper look yet...

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
  • RB
    United Kingdom 

Hi Simonh its a bit of a lash in to be honest, will be sorting at the weekend with the park cable but here you go

Rob

• simonh
    United Kingdom 

Ah. Right I see now. I mounted mine on driver side (so I can use the buttons and the voice control should work better) so will run cable to glove box power socket similar to you.

BTW have you set yours to Normal or Tall vehicle ?

Oh and do you know how much video is saved when you hold the save button or tell it to Save Video ?

Lastly, as it records in a loop, is the whole video always available to copy to a computer / phone via the app or just those explicitly saved ?

The manual is pretty thin on info...

Thanks again Thumbs Up

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
  • simonh
    United Kingdom 

Fitted.

Ran cable behind the rear view mirror/camera housing and up into edge of head liner (not much space there). Then down behind A Pillar trim to then pass behind the side airbag cover to the door seal.

Ran down door seal to passenger air vent. Tucked underneath (using a gap opener that came with my Brodit) and up into top globe box still behind air vent edge. Into glove box and tucked behind the dark aluminium trim edge towards the power socket. Yours is the wood trim I see.

Hopefully all tucked away nice and will stay out. All out of sight part from a bee inches visible when opening the glove box. Didn’t need to go behind bottom glove box at all Smile

I guess with the parking cable you’ll need to.

Would upload photos but server stops at 2%. Ah you have to upload 1 by 1

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum