Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• tayaste
    United Kingdom 

Land Rover Discovery 3/4 thread

Thought I'd start a thread to discuss the 'old' cars and any comparisons Big Cry
  • bill wright
    United Kingdom 

I started off with a used 56 Disco 3 SE. The level of equipment was pretty good (as you would expect for the next down from top of the range). After a year, I moved on to a new MY2010 XS which although specced very well was disappointing in that some of the SE attributes (like heated rear seats) had been dropped.

Next up was MY12 XS. I reckon that this was a Friday car in some respects as it came with the HSE sound and Nav system so I was on a winner there. The Salesman reckoned that they must have run out of the correct system so fitted what they had. The car itself was a marked improvement over the MY10 and kept it for three years. Good reliable motor. The only replacement parts were discs and pads all round.

In late 2014, I bought a MY 15, SE Tech which I've still got. It's never missed a beat and has only been into the dealer's for servicing.

There has undoubtedly been a steady improvement and I haven't had the misfortunes that a few others have had with the D3.

I'm looking forward to the release of the Disco 5 if only to see if it's within my financial reach. With recent talk of orders being delayed until mid 17, price increases, RFL and lower part-ex may foil my plans. Big Cry

Retired old git on a pension. Very Happy

MY15 D4 SE Tech Kaikoura Stone

Use what talents you possess, the woods will be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best
  • ken
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Montalcino Red

Think this is where we should Slag off the old D3 n 4 given that's what happens on D3.co.uk about the 5 Rolling with laughter

Sorry Martin Wink
  • AndrewS
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Silicon Silver

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

D3/4 Dated pile of crap IMO. Cobbled together from D2, BMW, FORD, and Volvo parts. It was a complete Censored up from the start. The left hand designed a monocoque body whilst the right hand were told it was going to be built on a chassis. It wasn’t until assembly they realised they’d F’d up.
    Can you imagine the conversation

You’ve done what?
    Will it fit together?
    But What?
    2.7t!!!
    Built it we’ll say er er we made it heavy on purpose.
  • JonM
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

I had to drop my D4 in at the dealer's tonight with a cracked intercooler. Before I drove off in another D4 I had a quick look at their D5.

First impressions were that it looks big, I like most of it, but it's got an arse that only it's mother could love!

Mind you, I hated the D3 shape for the first few years (until I bought a D4) so I'm sure the D5 will grow on me and I'll probably buy one in a couple of years. Confused

MY2022 D5 HSE D300 - with extra nice bits added
    MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - sold to a dealer for a crazy price!
  • fisherman
    United Kingdom 

I was not a fan initially of the 3 and thought it boxy and Tonka like. It grew on me and I found myself looking at a FFRR to replace my Land Cruiser VX. When I tried out the D3 with the extra seats it was a no brainer. It was super smooth and had every extra checked by the dealers except the DVD monstrosity in the roof. Thumbs Up
    I bought an 06 HSE with everything you could imagine. I loved it to bits and apart from three compressors fitted under warranty it never let me down. I kept it for nearly 8 years. Then I moved on to a 12MY D4 HSE, the kit was far reduced from the D3 but it went so much better than the D3. It felt classier too with a posh (in comparison) interior. I understand the ardent fans saw this as a backward step but it suited me just fine. Now the D5 is here and I had misgivings about the rear but I think it'll be less awkward looking given some time for our tastes to adjust. I have felt the same about a number of cars in the past and we end up loving them. Ford Sierra was awful when first launched but it became an icon as a RS Cosworth 500. I think the designs will eventually be accepted as more and more hit the roads.
    I have just ordered a D5 knowing that it'll do the job of towing, Limo, people carrier, van, off roader and motorway cruiser much better than any other product out there. It's looks will be accepted by those who know and to those that don't, you never will.
  • simonh
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Farallon Black

Loved my D3’s and D4’s. Really couldn’t gel with the Disco Sport’s I had (built like crap and full of issues).

But I love my D5 more, even it’s arse has a certain allure now 😂

Things I do miss;

Proper Tailgate to sit on, to use my portable Weber BBQ on.
    That’s it really 😌

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
    Served by the excellent Shukers Land Rover of Ludlow - 10 Land Rover’s and 20 years of amazing customer service.
  • DSL
    United Kingdom 

Simon, u know what you are missing. Whistle Whistle

Click image to enlarge
  • simonh
    United Kingdom 

You took your time with that response Derek ! Laughing Rolling with laughter

And yes. I do miss the split tailgate. The token electric one is a faff and too narrow for anything useful - especially to cook on!

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
    Served by the excellent Shukers Land Rover of Ludlow - 10 Land Rover’s and 20 years of amazing customer service.
  • DSL
    United Kingdom 

Signed up ages ago but only decided to have a mooch over here yesterday. Anything to annoy DG!! Laughing Laughing
  • Flat Earther
    United Kingdom 

Tell me about it! Laughing
  • MrH
    United Kingdom 

simonh wrote:
    Loved my D3’s and D4’s. Really couldn’t gel with the Disco Sport’s I had (built like crap and full of issues).

But I love my D5 more, even it’s arse has a certain allure now 😂

Things I do miss;

That’s it really 😌

You mean like this..

Rolling with laughter

IID (BT)
    2010MY D4 HSE - my 110k miles workhorse - contemplating a D5 Commercial
  • DiscoStu
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Funnily enough it was the tailgate I thought I would miss the most - but don't. It's really handy being able to reach the back of the boot without climbing in.

MY19 Silver HSE Lux SDV6
    MY19 Carpathian Grey HSE Lux SDV6 - gone, MY18 Carpathian Grey HSE Lux TDV6 - gone
  • IndusD4
    Australia 

simonh wrote:

I thought for the D4 LR did a slide-out floor. As mine's a 5 seater that could work.

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • simonh
    United Kingdom 

Exactly MrH Thumbs Up

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum