Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Graym
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Farallon Black

Watching TV on The Move

Loved the car right from the first test drive, after five months of ownership the build/component quality so so frustrating and disappointing and didn't realise i had signed up to be JLR's software field trialist Guinea pig.

Had the phase 4 software update last week and now USB's and DVD's play on the rear screens which is a major step forward, however the TV when on a journey is absolutely shocking with screens freezing, stating no reception and screens going black. As the TV has not really worked since i've had the car is this what is to be expected as i've nothing really to compare it to?
  • rogersmj
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Corris Grey

I've rear tv's and haven't had any of the issues you mention. I mostly have the kids watching stuff from a USB and they've never complained about freezing screens, etc.

I was going to ask whether your USB is V3 or V2, however if you are also having issues playing DVD's then this isn't going to be the problem.

MY18 Corris Grey HSE Lux TDV6
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Graym, we are having issues with the TV broadcasts as well,

Sometimes no signal and at others pixellated, jerky images.

Mostly affected in town with high buildings and trees.

Better picture and sound quality on the dualler/motorway though.

Usually the signal gets better in town once the leaves have fallen off the branches during autumn.

Cars just had phase 4 update installed so will see if that makes a difference when its back Rolling Eyes

Not holding out much hope, but i only payed a fraction for the TV unit in my car £250 for the headunit and and it works alot better than the the £1500 odd we spent on the TV/dual view from LR Big Cry

p.s. i posted about this a few weeks back.

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • Graym
    United Kingdom 

rogersmj wrote:
    I've rear tv's and haven't had any of the issues you mention. I mostly have the kids watching stuff from a USB and they've never complained about freezing screens, etc.

I was going to ask whether your USB is V3 or V2, however if you are also having issues playing DVD's then this isn't going to be the problem.

The DVD was intermittent when playing and USB didn't play at all until the phase 4 update last week, they now both play beautifully (now I've cursed it Rolling Eyes ) I'm using a Sanddisk 128gb V3 with no issues
  • Graym
    United Kingdom 

Road Runner 2017 wrote:
    Graym, we are having issues with the TV broadcasts as well,

Sometimes no signal and at others pixellated, jerky images.

Mostly affected in town with high buildings and trees.

Better picture and sound quality on the dualler/motorway though.

Usually the signal gets better in town once the leaves have fallen off the branches during autumn.

Cars just had phase 4 update installed so will see if that makes a difference when its back Rolling Eyes

Not holding out much hope, but i only payed a fraction for the TV unit in my car £250 for the headunit and and it works alot better than the the £1500 odd we spent on the TV/dual view from LR Big Cry

p.s. i posted about this a few weeks back.

Road Runner 2017

Sorry I missed your post even though I carried out a subject search Rolling Eyes

There's no question the car is getting better now with the phase 4 update and 6 previous visits to the dealership in a 5 month ownership period. Last night we travelled through various areas both motorway, dual carriageways and cities and only seemed to work when we were right under the transmitter at Sutton Coldfield which limits the area of travel a little Confused

I'm unsure now if its time to part ways and this is the straw, one again I feel deflated by having another problem after loosing the car all last week, I've just worked it out in 5 months the car has been at the dealers for 5 weeks if the days are totalled up.

This was the main purchasing point for me as I've never had a car with RSE, I did think at the time I could purchase 2 Ipads and save myself £6000 but it appears I made the wrong decision
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

Graym, my previous posts were under - "Dab radio/digital tv setup."

Yes its disheartening too say the least, spending all that money for it too not function properly. We had RSE and Digital Tv in the D4 with no issues whatsoever.

DVDs work fine as does the DAB radio, and films on the USB, but its the TV signal thats hit and miss Sad

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • lemme
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Lux Loire Blue

i'm assuming you've tried the non-HD channels... reception was intermittent when watching HD.. however, appeared to have less grief from the little ones when I select the non-HD channel.

MY18 HSE Lux Loire Blue with Black Pack
    [most options ticked apart from HUD & Fridge)
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

Lemme, the HD channels for some reason aren't supported up here, as the message keeps saying.
    Can only watch the non HD ones.
    I forgot too mention that when parked up, say along the beach front, the TV does work well though as no trees or buildings nearby. Just erratic on the move and when in the town centre surrounded by high buildings.

• Graym
    United Kingdom 

Road Runner 2017 wrote:
    Graym, my previous posts were under - "Dab radio/digital tv setup."

Yes its disheartening too say the least, spending all that money for it too not function properly. We had RSE and Digital Tv in the D4 with no issues whatsoever.

DVDs work fine as does the DAB radio, and films on the USB, but its the TV signal thats hit and miss Sad

Road Runner 2017

Found your post from 6th April and you still have issues, not good. I had my car in late February and have had many many (i could go on) problems, software and control modules seem to be the underlying trends with a sprinkling of poor components. Phase 4 was sold to me as "the saviour" and it will end all my troubles, there's no doubt from my low starting point it has solved so many issues but........now i want everything to work as it should even if that means getting the TV to work when travelling out and about.

So another case opened - No TV when moving and unable to connect iphone since phase 4 update

I'm back 😬- MY2019 HSE Luxury 3L SDV6 with Dynamic Pack 2 in Yulong white 🤞
    Audi Q7 Vorsprung 3L Supercharged black edition- every conceivable extra - why do I miss my Discovery? MY2017 HSE Luxury 3L TD6 black edition, even has a tele 😍 - sadly rejected
  • Graym
    United Kingdom 

lemme wrote:
    i'm assuming you've tried the non-HD channels... reception was intermittent when watching HD.. however, appeared to have less grief from the little ones when I select the non-HD channel.

lemme, thanks

Tried so many things and settings, reception in HD standing still was quite bad, its the black screens and picture freezing that makes me think something else is faulty, even more so when some on the forum haven't had an issue with the TV's

I'm back 😬- MY2019 HSE Luxury 3L SDV6 with Dynamic Pack 2 in Yulong white 🤞
    Audi Q7 Vorsprung 3L Supercharged black edition- every conceivable extra - why do I miss my Discovery? MY2017 HSE Luxury 3L TD6 black edition, even has a tele 😍 - sadly rejected
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum