Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Qwertyd5
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Corris Grey

MPG 2ltr v 3ltr diesel

As per previous suspension thread, I spent the weekend in a 2ltr diesel. Initially I thought I had made a bad mistake buying the 3ltr, particularly because the suspension felt a lot more stable. Performance, once on the move, was indistinguishable. However, after 150 miles of very mixed driving, I have to conclude the following;
    The engine is much noiser.
    The firmer feeling suspension actually becomes a bit waring, plus it seems to give up in harder corners!
    Although very good once going, getting going was a bit of a struggle. Driving the car in Sport really helped with this.
    But the most surprising finding was the fuel consumption; I tripped it for every drive I made and for all but 30-50 cruise, it returned no better than 3-5mpg over the 3ltr. It was particularly poor on the motorway at 70+
    What mpg are others getting from 2ltr? (I’m getting around 28-29 from the 3ltr, from very mixed driving)
  • Hauser
    Germany 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Fuji White

Hi,

with my 3.0L engine I am also getting 28-29 mpg so far. But I only refilled the tank twice, since I recently got the car (it's a pre owned one).

Greets,
    Hauser

Discovery 5 (MY 2021): HSE, D300, Fuji White
    Discovery Sport (MY 2016): HSE, TD4, Firenze Red w. black roof
  • Chopsy
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Hi

I own a 3ltr but it is off the road currently (another story altogether). I am a very steady driver, and was regularly getting at least mid 30 mpg, but only really used it on distance runs.

I had a loan vehicle in 2ltr engine and found the same as you. Noisier (and not in a good way), and felt like it was more of an effort. Plus it actually returned lower mpg for me when being used in similar circumstances. Other than the oil dilution issues, I can see very little reason to buy a 2ltr over a 3ltr.
  • DG
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Fuji White

42 on a run, 30 around town ...as for noise it is a 4 pot so low speeds it is noticeable but once you are up and running it's as quite as all my previous V6's
  • Hauser
    Germany 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Fuji White

What? Very Happy

42 mpg? Well that's what your car says... Very Happy And it's surely just a trip mpg, not over a whole gas tank or even the total driven distance.
    I am using Fulio (Android app) and therefore know exactly what my real mpg is. My Disco Sport (with active driveline) archives an average of 32 mpg (over a total of 33.000 km) and I am always easy on the gas.

So I highly doubt 40 mpg are anywhere near a real average mpg,

Greets,
    Hauser

Discovery 5 (MY 2021): HSE, D300, Fuji White
    Discovery Sport (MY 2016): HSE, TD4, Firenze Red w. black roof
  • DG
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Fuji White

I said 42 on a run Whistle Wink ...not average ....which is mid 30's.

TBH I'm pretty much a 'put diesel in, drive and don't really care' type of guy Smile
  • simonh
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Farallon Black

Driving hard I never dip below an indicated 36MPG.

Drive in a relaxed (normal?) fashion and I can easily get an indicated 43-45 MPG.

TBH, like Rich, I don’t really expect stellar MPG from such a large and heavy car. If I did care I’d by a small and frugal hatchback.

I’m mightily impressed with the 2L engine. Plenty enough grunt and very quiet. Most passengers ask what petrol engine I have.

One big advantage is it’s now expecting its 1st service at nigh on 21K miles. No multiple pre service oil changes needed due to oil dilution issues Cool

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
    Served by the excellent Shukers Land Rover of Ludlow - 10 Land Rover’s and 20 years of amazing customer service.
  • BIGMAMMA
    England 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Montalcino Red

Mine's a 30 Td6, and I continually get high 30's. A fair bit of motorway, but more A and B roads. I'm disappointed if I don't get 550 miles out of a tank full. The best I've ever had is 44mpg on a motorway / dual carriageway trip to Newcastle and back from home. Having narrowly escaped a driving ban in the 90's for exceeding 100mph on the M1 I now do not exceed prevailing speed limits. I've never used sport mode either?
    Mike
  • IndusD4
    Australia 

Around the city mainly I get around 9.2L/100km - just over 30Mpg. I don't really care, it is better than the D4 was. No idea on a longer run, I keep forgetting to reset the trip counter.

BIGMAMMA wrote:
    I've never used sport mode either?

That reminded me when i bought the D4 in 2011. I went for a test drive in a 2.7 TDV6 and when I got back the sales person asked me if i had tried the gear box in "sports mode". I just gave him a blank look and said "Sports mode in a 2.5 tonne diesel truck, are you kidding?". I think he got the message I wasn't after off the line performance.

Ron

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • DiscoStu
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

I use Sport - and Sand Mode too Mr. Green - car is reporting 30.8 MPG

3.0 TD6, mostly motorway and fast A-roads

MY19 Silver HSE Lux SDV6
    MY19 Carpathian Grey HSE Lux SDV6 - gone, MY18 Carpathian Grey HSE Lux TDV6 - gone
  • Chalkys HSE
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Corris Grey

My findings are pretty similar to the OP, Just been to Dublin for a week and had the chance to get a D5 loaner at no extra cost to me.

2.0 Litre engine, 600 miles on the clock,

Either my 3.0 is extremely quiet, Burbling and smooth in gear both up and down the box or the 2.0 loaner has some kind of a fault, they failed to fit the sound deadening and also managed to fit an imbalanced prop producing some kind of shunt in low gears up and down the box, particularly noticable dropping into 2nd and then first coming to a halt. And back up the box, once moving it was fine, didnt get the chance to throw it about and didnt really notice the fuel consumption.

If i'm brutally honest once moving i cant tell the difference, the uptake from a stand still doesn't feel as strong or as sure footed, noise is definately more increased from the 2.0 over the 3.0 but suspension wise, economy and general driving once on the move is difficult to separate.

The fitting of the 2.0 litre engine has helped JLR move towards an ever tightening emmisions regulation. But i cant help think they sometimes do it whilst increasing the output of the 5.0 litre DEFENDER frenkenstein edition at £150K a pop whilst throwing fuel down the barrels on the latest SVR in which ever form Mcgovern would like to see sat on his drive for the next 3 months.

2017 MY D5 HSE 3.0 Td6 Corris Grey, Side steps, roof rails,
  • CEEGEE
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Carpathian Grey

So I've just done my first couple of long trips in my 3ltr - got 36 mpg coming back to Yorkshire from South coast - fairly happy with that.

While down there, did a 50 mile A road trip and got 40 mpg, taking it easy Thumbs Up
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum