Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Yorkietiger
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Santorini Black

Towing with Sd4

Hi,

I am considering trading in current 3.0l TDV6 D4 for 2.0l SD4 D5, very wary of 3.0l TDV6 in D5 because of all this issues with fuel in oil. However, I have an 1800kgs caravan to tow, and although sales manager in local dealer says he has successfully towed a heavy twin axle van like mine, i would welcome any unbiased members views and experiences.

Thank you.
  • Mightymildred
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Santorini Black

I've had two oil services in 4 1/2 months.
    I have a 3.0 TDV6:
    I think it's towing that f***s the oil service counter.
    I Tow several times a week. 2-3000kg.
    Currently I feel like I'm stuck with a vehicle that is going to need an oil change every 2 months.
  • AndrewS
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Silicon Silver

What issues with fuel in oil? No one has actually suffered with fuel in the oil.

For balance My 3L TDV6 is 18 months old tows all the time and I've not had a problem with the service indicator since the software up date the car had when relatively new.

Its a service indicator problem NOT an actual fuel in oil problem Thumbs Up
  • Flat Earther
    United Kingdom 

If that we’re the case, wouldn’t it seem odd that the 19MY, with 1600 miles on it, that I was using 2 weeks ago was suffering from the same issue, when your 18 month old software update has “cured” it?

The software update might simply have turned up the oil dilution threshold at which the service interval is brought forward. Without independent analysis of the oil it’s probably impossible to tell.
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

Hopefully the software algorithm is being tweaked to be more in line with reality?
  • simonh
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Farallon Black

I never had early service warnings on my 2L DS whilst many others did, LR state driving style and to some extent I think this is very true. Higher mileage (longer average run) DS's didn't seem to suffer whilst those only tootling around town or using for short commutes mainly were seeing early service warnings.

I have my oil tested by Millers mostly based on the paranoia the DS forum was generating on a thread that ran (and still runs) into hundreds of pages. My oil at 19,400 miles. Dilution was 7%. Fe was quite high but then it was the original oil from delivery on a new engine.

I had an early service as I was going on vacation and would be driving circa 2K miles and didn't want the hassle of service warnings while away.

I was told not to worry, so I didn't.

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
    Served by the excellent Shukers Land Rover of Ludlow - 10 Land Rover’s and 20 years of amazing customer service.
  • Flat Earther
    United Kingdom 

@ Jim got:

So why is it still not working on a virtually brand new car? This has been an ongoing issue for over 2 years now.

Assuming that there’s nothing wrong with the hardware, how long does it take an algorithm right?
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum