Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• JonM
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

In my case, I work in a rural area where reception can be limited. So having the phone tucked away in can make the difference between getting reception or not. Having it mounted in an open location is an advantage.

I also use the phone for GPS and OS mapping and need to be able to see the phone each time I return to the car in case it has new notifications (call / text / email) as I don't carry the phone on me while working with livestock.

Keeping the phone charged is also useful.

MY2022 D5 HSE D300 - with extra nice bits added
    MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - sold to a dealer for a crazy price!
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

OK, I understand. Thumbs Up
  • JonM
    United Kingdom 

1000 mile update....

So, the running in period has finished and I've unleashed "sport mode" and my heavy right foot.....f**k me it's quick Shocked

It sticks to the road like glue, the adaptive dynamics almost completely prevent body roll and I can't keep the throttle full open for very long without catching another vehicle, reaching the speed limit or arriving at a junction much sooner than expected. I can push it through corners on country lanes 5-10mph faster than I could in the D4 and the D4 would undesteer a bit when pushed. The D5 hasn't under or over steered on me at all yet. Cool

Everything is still working as expected.... perhaps LR have sold me a dud, I'm sure I should have broken something by now.... perhaps I'll have to take it to the dealer to have something broken under warranty.

Oil dilution: 1000 miles driven, 15,200 miles to next service. AdBlue range is also dropping in line with distance driven. No apparent problem at the moment.

I've done a little off-road but nothing challenging so far. The AT tyres will go on in a couple of weeks then I'll get it out on some rough stuff to see how it copes.

Last edited by JonM on 29th Sep 2018 9:51 am. Edited 2 times in total

• Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

If you wanted a sport car, why buy a LR?

Personally, I like to drive sensibly. It’s a self preservation thing for me and the rest of the road users, Iam just glad I live no where near North Yorkshire. Rolling Eyes
  • JonM
    United Kingdom 

A sports car wouldn't be able to carry all of my equipment and go off road. Rolling Eyes

Don't worry, I'll be passing through your area in a couple of weeks. If you want some lessons on how to drive safely above 20 mph on open country roads I can fit you in. Rolling with laughter

There's no point in having a capable vehicle and not using its abilities. When called to an emergency, I need to get there quickly but stay within safe limits. It's easier to do that when I know where the safe limits are. Whistle

Last edited by JonM on 29th Sep 2018 9:11 am. Edited 1 time in total

• Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

Laughing

Last edited by Dangerdave on 3rd Nov 2018 9:16 am. Edited 1 time in total
  • JonM
    United Kingdom 

You are correct about one thing....you don't know what advanced driver training I've had. And, since I'm not pretentious enough to try to find my certificate and post a picture of it, you will continue to not know.

One thing that was instilled in me during my advanced driver training was the requirement to make sensible decisions and use them to make the best progress safely possible for the conditions. I take great care to avoid driving irresponsibly but that does not mean that I have to drive everywhere at a snail's pace. Slow and safe may both be four letter words beginning with S but that does not give them the same meaning.

I agree that the public roads are not a suitable place to drive at excessive speed (clearly you must drive at some speed otherwise you would be stationary) and driving in circumstances which are dangerous should be avoided anywhere - not just on public roads. However, none of that precludes developing and understanding of a vehicle's capabilities provided it is done in a way that is appropriate for the conditions and within the speed limit.

I too get called to the aftermath of road traffic incidents (fortunately only infrequently) and certainly try to avoid being the "first at the scene of the accident" as that is usually the worst place to be; which is exactly the reason why I did my advanced driver training in the first place.

Anyway, this is a place to discuss Discovery 5s. Enough of the preaching. Rolling with laughter

• Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

Thud

You’ve deleted some content of your previous posts that highlights your blase attitude to driving, but left one - “I've unleashed "sport mode" and my heavy right foot.....f**k me it's quick“ then claim you have driver training which if true, that would fly in the face of anything you would have been taught.

You don’t say in what capacity you occasionally attend an accident, but you say you avoid being first there, so not Police, Fire Brigade or Medical, so I fail to see why you need to be there in such a hurry perhaps a Vet or Breakdown, which with the best will in the world is hardly a blue light job or someone that would be informed to be in a position to be at a locus first. In any case your first & second combined, plus the last para is contradictory.

You now want to stop the conversation, fair enough, I believe I have the measure of you, unless you want the last word of course. If so, bash ahead, dig a bigger hole, I won’t comment further.
  • harrythespider
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Aintree Green

Dangerdave. Do you not think you are being a bit heavy with JonM ? I saw him as posting a tonque in cheek comment on how improved the D5 is over the D4. I didn't read that he was doing anything dangerous or illegal. You've come across as an overzealous traffic cop , never off duty, sorry!!
  • Labbix

+1
  • Dodlestonian
    United Kingdom 

+1
    I found Jon's post informative and entertaining

2019 D5 Lux. HUD, adaptive dynamics, dynamic pack 2, cooler box, privacy glass, advanced tow assist, black roof rails, massage seats, tech plus pack, detachable towbar, driver assist pack, capability plus pack.
  • Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

It was an exchange on an open forum between two members, which had concluded before you resurrected it, however, you are entitled to an opinion even though I don’t share it. Maybe you saw the deleted comments, maybe not, it’s immaterial as I don’t have to justify my position, particularly as the posts had no bearing on you.

To further this conversation won’t bring about any resolution, particularly by indulging in unnecessary personal hyperbole, so best we agree to differ and leave it at that.
  • harrythespider
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Aintree Green

Dangerman! Yes its an open forum and therefor anybody is entitled to comment on posts, including me. Your latest response only reinforces my and now others opinions of your posts,whether you agree or not. No one is asking you to justify anything. I was merely commenting on how your interaction with JonM came across, I dont consider I have used any hyperbole, I have not exaggerated anything. I was not attacking you or intending to offend you, but it would appear that you are upset by mere words, perhaps JohnM feels the same following your comments to him. You can continue the discussion if you wish, but I sense that you will only alienate yourself further.
  • Ed Snow
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Scotia Grey

Bringing the topic back to MY2019, JONM can you give us another oil dilution update? Another month+ on how are things? Thanks.
  • EMcC
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 SE Corris Grey

I have had lots of problems with my April this year D5 but I still managed to reach 109 mph without realising it the other day and cruised at 80 for almost two hours without touching my brakes, touched the accelerator a few times tho Wink I didn't see any crashes in my rear view mirror either Wink
    Incidentally I was on the E45 near Gottingen but I was still overtaken a few times, mostly by BMWs or Audis with the odd Merc now and again.

Last edited by EMcC on 10th Nov 2018 5:45 pm. Edited 1 time in total
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum