Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Dodlestonian
    United Kingdom 

Fantastic JonM, keep the reviews coming!
    I'm all Android too so I'm keen to know about Android auto.
    If you truly have it you should be able to use terrific apps like Waze.
    You should be able to see and control Waze from your touch screen Very Happy

2019 D5 Lux. HUD, adaptive dynamics, dynamic pack 2, cooler box, privacy glass, advanced tow assist, black roof rails, massage seats, tech plus pack, detachable towbar, driver assist pack, capability plus pack.
  • yankeefr78
    France 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

There à lot of threads on oil dilution. Does the new SD6 have a different design.

JonM have you already noticed any quick reduction of mileage for the next service ?

Really hope that this issue has been sorted out with 19MY.
  • JonM
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

Too soon to notice any reduction in the service interval - I still haven't topped 300 miles from new.

MY2022 D5 HSE D300 - with extra nice bits added
    MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - sold to a dealer for a crazy price!
  • Hauser
    Germany 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Fuji White

I think the question was: "Is the DPF (SCR) still located below the car?" (Or did the move it next to the engine?)

Greets,
    Hauser

Discovery 5 (MY 2021): HSE, D300, Fuji White
    Discovery Sport (MY 2016): HSE, TD4, Firenze Red w. black roof
  • JonM
    United Kingdom 

I don't know. I'd have to crawl under and have a look but since I don't know what the DPF looks like or where it was on earlier models, I probably still won't have an answer.

Looking at the results people are getting from their oil testing though, it seems that the oil isn't really being diluted, just the car's software is getting it's calculations wrong. the new twin-turbo engine must have different management software to the previous single turbo engine so hopefully they've incorporated a fix in to the new software even if they haven't moved the DPF.

Time will tell........

• Hauser
    Germany 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Fuji White

Hi,

it's that round thingy in the cut-out on the left side:
    https://www.matzker.de/Technik-Zubehoer/fu...:5980.html

Greets,
    Hauser

Discovery 5 (MY 2021): HSE, D300, Fuji White
    Discovery Sport (MY 2016): HSE, TD4, Firenze Red w. black roof
  • JonM
    United Kingdom 

Just been outside and had a look.

Seems to still be in the same place.

• JonM
    United Kingdom 

I've had the car for just over a week now and driven just over 500 miles so thought I'd post a quick review of my thoughts so far.....

Oil dilution: 500 miles driven, distance to next service 15,600 miles. So far, no problem will continue to monitor.

Adaptive dynamics - wow! love it! You can't tell that anything changes but the car is flat in all corners no matter how hard you push it but smooth as silk over bumps in the road. Tight in the corners like a sports car but without the harsh ride.

306bhp SDV6 engine - very nice! Still running in so haven't pushed it hard yet but even with a light right foot it's much quicker than the D4 I had before. Very responsive pickup and crisp response pulling away from junctions. Very quiet but with a satisfying deep burble. Mpg seems good, over 30mpg even on country lanes with steep hills and lots of bends. The D4 would do low 20's on this type of driving. My usual commute currently has road works so a lot of standing traffic - too much for the stop start to stay stopped so only getting about 25mpg for this.

Adaptive headlights - very clever. They don't swivel with the steering like they did on older cars instead they change which LEDs are on or off to change the beam pattern. At slow speeds both cornering LEDs are on and the long range middle LEDs are off. Speed up and this reverses so the long range LEDs are on and the cornering LEDs are off until you turn the steering then the inside cornering LED comes on. The auto high beam assist seems to work well and the cornering LEDs still come on with high beam active.

I haven't tested it off-road yet so can't comment on the off-road capabilities compared to the D4.

Seats and driving position are very comfortable. Infotainment works - no glitches so far. Driver aids seem to work well, except park assist which seems to make very hard work of getting in to a space where I can park neatly in a single move and ignores spaces that I can park in no problem. I can't see me using it much.

Load space is perfect for all of my work kit. It hasn't got the height or width at the top as the D4 but that isn't a problem for how I use it. I might need extra lighting in the boot as the winter nights draw in.

I still haven't found a phone mounting & charging solution that I'm happy with. I've got one of these on the way to try.... https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B079DXSV98

I think I've figured out how to mount my CB for off-road use but haven't fully tested it yet.

• yankeefr78
    France 

Thanks for your Feedback.
    Still need to wait to put the hand on mine Big Cry (but without Dynamics and impossible New to modify the order although car is due mid December)

For the phone support, i’m Considering to get the Brodit. https://www.brodit.com/product.html?id=855310

I currently have the brodit for the Disco4 and this is really at the right height.

D3 HSE 2.7 06MY / D4 HSE 3.0 SDV6 13MY
    D5 HSE 3.0 19MY Santorini Black - 20" Style 5011 - Electric sun roof - Rear privacy glass - Dark satin brushed aluminium trim finisher - Ebony headlining - Heated seats & steering wheel - Premium carpet mats - Surround camera system - Black Exterior Pack - Driver Assist Pack
  • Dodlestonian
    United Kingdom 

Looking at the Brodit, I don't see a data link between the phone and the car?
    I was under the impression that Android auto and carplay both need a hard wired data link between phone and dedicated USB socket in the vehicle. My wife's Astra certainly does, it doesn't function over Bluetooth. You can get phone and media by Bluetooth but not apps?

2019 D5 Lux. HUD, adaptive dynamics, dynamic pack 2, cooler box, privacy glass, advanced tow assist, black roof rails, massage seats, tech plus pack, detachable towbar, driver assist pack, capability plus pack.
  • yankeefr78
    France 

The Brodit above is only the support.
    You can then buy the needed support for Android or Apple phones with or without cables.

You need to check on the brodit web site as there are many possibilities.

D3 HSE 2.7 06MY / D4 HSE 3.0 SDV6 13MY
    D5 HSE 3.0 19MY Santorini Black - 20" Style 5011 - Electric sun roof - Rear privacy glass - Dark satin brushed aluminium trim finisher - Ebony headlining - Heated seats & steering wheel - Premium carpet mats - Surround camera system - Black Exterior Pack - Driver Assist Pack
  • Dodlestonian
    United Kingdom 

Hi, yes I've looked at all the cables but I don't see any that passthrough data?

• maxmax
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Loire Blue

Dodlestonian wrote:
    Looking at the Brodit, I don't see a data link between the phone and the car?
    I was under the impression that Android auto and carplay both need a hard wired data link between phone and dedicated USB socket in the vehicle. My wife's Astra certainly does, it doesn't function over Bluetooth. You can get phone and media by Bluetooth but not apps?

Not too much use in the UK, but I have had GMC Yukon XL and Chevy Suburbans in N America recently and I’m fairly sure both worked over Bluetooth

HSE Lux MY17 in Loire Blue with deployable tow bar, activity key and cubby fridge. (And Apple CarPlay and Android Auto)
  • JonM
    United Kingdom 

If a wired connection is needed then it will require a USB cable to the sockets in front of the cubby box. There's not going to be any neat way of routing them there.

I don't like untidy, trailing cables. Rolling with laughter

• jimbg
    United Kingdom 

Serious question.

Why do you need access to the phone if you have Android Auto and the phone connected by Bluetooth for calls?

I keep my phone in the tray under the central armrest.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum