Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Qwertyd5x
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Corris Grey

Another one with early service problem

Given I do very few short commutes I had hoped to avoid the early service issue, but today, at just 8 weeks old and 4,575 miles, I got service due message. Due in 950 miles.
    At least I’ll get it in for the keyless entry, aircon and media issues to be possibly fixed!
  • IndusD4
    Australia 

In my case at least I can understand as the majority of my trips are short due to living in the city. But a car that mainly does longer trips shouldn't suffer from it unless there is an underlying issue.

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • Labbix

I mainly do long trips, like 95% of the km done were on highway, but could only do 4000km before the service indicator went to zero. Nothing wrong with the car according to JLR!
  • Qwertyd5x
    United Kingdom 

Fook me, my “950 miles to service” lasted only 200 miles. It went to zero around 4,800. Interestingly the counter doesn’t show -minus miles being clocked up.

[/img]
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

Take an oil sample for testing!
  • Qwertyd5x
    United Kingdom 

I booked my car in today. But was then advised that this oil change would not be covered by warranty and I would need to pay. I phoned LR customer service to complain, but they advised they couldn’t help until dealer had checked the car for any faults. But they did try to walk me down the “driver behaviour” path. I told them that I’d had a D3, then a D4 for 100k miles from new. Same driver, same roads etc and same driver behaviour. The chap then tried to refer me to some sales literature that apparently states the variable nature of D5 servicing. I told him that I hadn’t read anything, I’d simply bought a D5 assuming it could only be better than the D4, which was fairly faultless.
    I then phoned the dealer who had serviced my D4, for copy of its service history. I told them why and they told me that all dealers were seeing this issue with D5s, but LR are so far denying any issue. However he also told me that since late July the 5yr service pack also includes 4 oil dilution services. He checked my reg and said my car had just missed the date. Anyone else aware of oil dilution being included in MY19 service packs?
    He also told me they were worried about how big this issue would become as these cars age.
  • StinTov
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Silicon Silver

Sounds like this is something that should feature on BBCs watchdog.

Are you saying that even if you have the 5 year service plan you still have to pay for the oil change with the dilution problem?

All the best.
  • samyil
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Carpathian Grey

Don't put it on watchdog. It will kill the residuals
  • Qwertyd5x
    United Kingdom 

My understanding is that Landrover are covering MY17 cars under warranty. But MY18 cars are not covered by warranty or 5yr service plan because LR changed the wording in brochure to caveat service intervals depending on driving style. But I was told today that MY19 cars will be covered, for 4 oil dilution changes, by service plan. But maybe the MY19 plans cost more????
  • Paramike
    United Kingdom 

Hi went through this ordeal last week,car coming up to the 3000 mile mark.first the receptionist said that due to my driving style it was my fault therefore i would be liable for any future interim oil changes and they would waive the charge for this oil change as goodwill gesture.Not a happy bunny especially having service pack and this being my fourth 3 litre land rover with no problems before or change in driving style .Phoned LR customer care had the same rant,informed that they would put my concerns forward.couple of hours later was contacted by dealer and informed that due to me having service pack i would be covered for four interim oil changes due to oil dilution and apologised for the mix up and blamed the receptionist Shocked .finally saying he would check if an oil change had been carried out WTF,which reassured me no end.so in conclusion i think emission legislation has overtaken mechanical capabilities of of the 3.0 but rather land rover admitting it blame driving style.As a footnote loving the car
  • graemesmith1960
    Scotland 

As these appear to be recent cars does that mean we are seeing the Sd6 with the same issue as the Td6?

I've only done 1300 miles in my Sd6 so it is far too early for me to tell what will happen. It's 'lost' 100 miles so far. I used to disable the Start/Stop on my D4 but having read about oil dilution issues I keep it on in the D5 as idling seems to be a factor. Could be total rubbish of course Laughing

2019 Sd6 HSE Corris Grey
  • DieselRanger
    United States 

I submitted my independent oil testing results so far through the Land Rover customer engagement portal / marketing research site, on which they have an "issues" feature which provides a direct link to Land Rover Customer Relations.

I received a phone call from Land Rover NA customer relations stating "they're looking into it."

My independent testing results showed dilution far below the vehicle estimated values, but also showed the OE Castrol Edge Professional (via virgin oil analysis) is habitually low on viscosity to begin with.
  • DieselRanger
    United States 

Duplicate - delete
  • Chalkys HSE
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Corris Grey

It's absolutely unfathomable that JLR can produce a vehicle without admitting an iherrant fault whilst charging the owner for JLR's none mistake.

Surely there is something within the consumer code of conduct that states if you purchase something that stipulates a certain criteria then it should / must be adhered to. Mine has done 2 services both circa 2,800 miles. my third one blew thro its 16K miles and i'm now 6K over that.

The dealership tried charging me £420 for an oil change as i DO NOT have the 5 year service plan.

Had i had the plan i would be on my last of the 5 services now and at 13K Miles........... thats 5 FIVE In less than 16K miles, Is it just me that thinks that this is criminal OR should i just accept that this is the Norm.

As far as i can see this is NO different to what VW did with their emmisions scandal. The irony is that by trying to make it more environmentally friendly theyv'e actually created a problem, one which according them is not being recognised.

2017 MY D5 HSE 3.0 Td6 Corris Grey, Side steps, roof rails,
  • IndusD4
    Australia 

I wasn't charged for the extra oil service yesterday, it was marked on the paperwork as "Early Service warning" and oil changed under warranty. I do have the 5 year service pack.

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum