Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• TazDaz
    England 
    2018 Discovery Si4 HSE Fuji White

danfrancis wrote:
    I now used the free 3 200mb/month and then switch to my WiFi hotspot on phone for longer journeys that need more than just map updates etc.
    https://www.three.co.uk/Free_SIM_MBB/Order

I found one of those a week or so ago. Bit of a performance to 'activate' it but now done. Thumbs Up

MY18 Fuji White with Black Pack HSE Si4 2litre >>>PETROL<<< 300bhp
  • Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

I got one too, but didn’t want to waste half my life activating it, so it’s just sitting in the kitchen.

• jimbg
    United Kingdom 

Come on guys, you spend a fortune on a new car and then worry about the price of a SIM card!!! Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Just get a 12Gb oer 24Gb card and throw away when it is used up. No need to register, just insert and go. Thumbs Up

Mind you I after 1 year I had not used up all the 12Gb on mine.
  • JonM
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

Indeed. I spent a whole £60 (equivalent of £5 per month) on a 24GB / 12 months SIM. I had planned to use the WIFI hotspot to tether my laptop for work but apparently EE block the protocols needed for the VPN so I suspect that I will have quite a lot of data left at the end of the year.

MY2022 D5 HSE D300 - with extra nice bits added
    MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - sold to a dealer for a crazy price!
  • graemesmith1960
    Scotland 

Strange. I've been on EE for years and never had an issue with VPN's. I use various including the standard protocol ones.

2019 Sd6 HSE Corris Grey
  • JonM
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

Strange was also my opinion, but EE's 2nd level tech support were adamant that the PAYG SIM would not support the VPN.

I might try the EE SIM in a phone and my Vodafone phone SIm (which does allow the VPN) in the car and do some more testing.

MY2022 D5 HSE D300 - with extra nice bits added
    MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - sold to a dealer for a crazy price!
  • TazDaz
    England 
    2018 Discovery Si4 HSE Fuji White

Dangerdave wrote:
    I got one too, but didn’t want to waste half my life activating it, so it’s just sitting in the kitchen.

Awwww it looks quite lonely there.....

MY18 Fuji White with Black Pack HSE Si4 2litre >>>PETROL<<< 300bhp
  • Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

? Wink

Still sitting there. Truth be told, I know the roads I travel along and there’s isn’t very many, so unless I was to stray out of the Highlands, the satnav isn’t much use to me. Bit like the radio, patchy reception or the music, either of which I bother with tbh.
  • graemesmith1960
    Scotland 

South Ayrshire is not that great for radio either! I use OnLine Media most of the time to get radio as DAB is hopeless and even FM dies off round there. Not as bad as the Highlands though. Unfortunately OnLine media relies on a decent phone signal although I've noticed it does buffer a lot so you can get round the occasional signal drop. Doesn't use that much Data either as I don't listen to ultra high quality streams. I bought a '3' 12 month PAYG 12GB SIM for £30 of Amazon and I doubt I'll use it all up in a year. My MY19 didn't come with a SIM but looking at the costs if you go over the 500mb I'm happy with what I've got.

2019 Sd6 HSE Corris Grey
  • Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

Glad I am not alone.

Did you get your car fromParks of Ayr? Just curious, I’ve had dealings with them in the past.
  • graemesmith1960
    Scotland 

Yes, Parks. I know they have a bit of a reputation but I’m actually quite happy with them. Seems the SIM’s weren’t available for the first MY19 vehicles. You can get one if you want but I don’t think it’s a very good deal.

2019 Sd6 HSE Corris Grey
  • Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

I purchased two new LRs from them. First one, great service, no complaints, second one, a couple of years later and a total change of personnel, handover terrible, I’d have got more attention buying a loaf of bread.

Anyway, they damaged the vehicle putting a tow bar on and other stuff, I gave them two attempts to repair and they failed. I ended up rejecting it and fell out with them over it, big time.

I won’t even use their garage up here now, I go to Elgin, which is a bit of a pain.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum