Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• olav
    Norway 

Miles reading

My D5 3.0 HSE speedometer reads ca 4 km/h too high. This means that when the car has done 96000 km the ododometer reads 100000 km and garantie is out. Can this be adjusted. I have original wheels and tyres
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

Do you mean 4% error or 4km/hr at a particular speed.

There is a difference!!

Not an expert, but is the odometer linked to the speedometer calibration?
  • olav
    Norway 

Odometer reads 4 km/h too high. Checkt t with gps. When speedometer on 86 exact speed on gps 80 km/h
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

Take into account that a GPS system will calculate speed as time taken to travel between 2 points in a straight line. It does not account for curves or any increase of decrease in altitude. You also need to accept that the device has a limited accuracy based on the (limited) number of satellites it is picking up, its refresh rate and the speed you are actually doing. All of these are averaged out to give a steady speed but it will lag behind.

GPS is a position finding system, speed calculation is a secondary function.
  • JonM
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

The speed reading is set high by design (it is illegal to sell a car where the reading is too low, so they put in a safety margin). On the D4 this could be adjusted using a IID tool but was reported to cause more problems with other settings if you did.

Despite the speed reading being high, the distance travelled will still be very accurate unless you change tyre diameter away from standard.

MY2022 D5 HSE D300 - with extra nice bits added
    MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - sold to a dealer for a crazy price!
  • IndusD4
    Australia 

olav wrote:
    Odometer reads 4 km/h too high. Checkt t with gps. When speedometer on 86 exact speed on gps 80 km/h

86 - 80 = 6 ?

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • graemesmith1960
    Scotland 

In the UK every car I've had since the availability of GPS has read 2mph high. On a trip to the USA many years ago I was surprised that the rental speedo actually read the correct mph!

I haven't heard of a car sold in Europe that didn't read high. On recent cars its been a constant 2mph across the speed band, not a percentage. As has been previously mentioned the IID tool can set the overread value on the D4.

2019 Sd6 HSE Corris Grey
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum