Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• IndusD4
    Australia 

Do you think the new Defender will be fault free?

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • EMcC
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 SE Corris Grey

I would expect the new Defender to me more Agricultural and have less electronic gizmos to go wrong Smile
  • IndusD4
    Australia 

Fingers crossed then. But a fellow 4WD club member that bought a new one about 10 years ago can write a book on what went wrong on his. Was probably built on a Monday or Friday. And TPMS is mandatory in the UK now?

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • EMcC
    United Kingdom 

They have come a long way with technology in ten years so lets hope the 'Proper' D4 replacement is more an off road vehicle with on road capability's than the D5 which, in my opinion, is an on road vehicle with off road capability's.
  • JonM
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

Simple Solution

Ok chaps, I think I've found a really simple solution to this....

Background:

When the car was new, it was reporting low pressure in the spare. So I did the following and the problem went away.

Yesterday, I had the tyres swapped over to AT3s and the problem came back. After the tyre swapping, a previous road wheel ended up as the spare, so this discounts the theory that rotating the wheels will solve it.

So, I've just been out and done the following and the problem is immediately gone again.

The solution:

Drop the spare and inflate it to 50psi (the working pressure for a rear tyre when fully loaded).
    Before winching it back up, rotate it so that the valve is at 9 O'clock as you're looking at the back of the car i.e. the valve is on the left side of the vehicle. This will ensure that the valve is directly beneath the TPMS sensor when the wheel is in position.

Try it. It's worked for me, twice. Thumbs Up

MY2022 D5 HSE D300 - with extra nice bits added
    MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - sold to a dealer for a crazy price!
  • EMcC
    United Kingdom 

The only trouble with that Jon is that I have a disability that if I did drop the spare and turn it, by the time I'd done that, I would be in pain for a week at least.
    So I would have to get someone to do it for me and as my local LR garage don't want to know, I would have to pay some local chap to do something that might or might not work.
    It would certainly be worth a try if I could get anybody to do and not charge the earth.
    I already have aches and pains all over from just assembling a computer chair Sad
  • JonM
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

Is there a friendly forum member near you who would help? If not, I'm sure your local tyre fitters would only charge a coup!e of quid (if anything) to check your spare tyre pressure. It's this time of year when many are offering "free winter checks" why not pop along for a free check of your spare wheel?

MY2022 D5 HSE D300 - with extra nice bits added
    MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - sold to a dealer for a crazy price!
  • EMcC
    United Kingdom 

The last guy that helped me when I dropped it to check the tyre pressure didn't ask for anything but because of his doleful look I gave him £20 and the regulatory two cups of coffee.
    If I took it to my local, non LR, garage I would expect to pay the minimum hours charge.
    The reason I stuck with LR was because of their reliability in the past and that is also why I change them whenever the warranty expires because I cannot do a lot these days.
    If I was required to change a wheel, I would be all aches and pains for at least a week even with the strong pain killers that I have at my disposal.
    Anyway, enough of this, it is beginning to look as if I am talking to the Samaritans, you can take cough mixture for coughs and aspirin for headaches but you can't take anything to getting older Wink Laughing
  • IndusD4
    Australia 

If I'd still lived in Cirencester I would have come down. Unfortunately, I'm a little further away now.

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • EMcC
    United Kingdom 

I'll give it a few weeks and see what happens if nothing changes I'll contact one of the workers at my local garage and see if one of them will do it in their lunch break.
  • Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

Didn’t know where Durrington was until I looked at it on the map. That’s a long way away from me!
  • EMcC
    United Kingdom 

It sure is Dave, right on the edge of Salisbury Plain between the rifle ranges and the Artillery ranges with all sorts of other stuff that goes on in between - normally at night too Sad
  • whited3

Re: Simple Solution

Worked for me.

Thanks!

JonM wrote:
    Drop the spare and inflate it to 50psi (the working pressure for a rear tyre when fully loaded).
    Before winching it back up, rotate it so that the valve is at 9 O'clock as you're looking at the back of the car i.e. the valve is on the left side of the vehicle. This will ensure that the valve is directly beneath the TPMS sensor when the wheel is in position.

• PSC747
    United Kingdom 
    2020 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Re: Simple Solution

JonM wrote:
    Ok chaps, I think I've found a really simple solution to this....

Background:

When the car was new, it was reporting low pressure in the spare. So I did the following and the problem went away.

Yesterday, I had the tyres swapped over to AT3s and the problem came back. After the tyre swapping, a previous road wheel ended up as the spare, so this discounts the theory that rotating the wheels will solve it.

So, I've just been out and done the following and the problem is immediately gone again.

The solution:

Rotating the tyre to the 9 o’clock position didn’t fix it for me on its own but then pumping the spare up to about 48psi did. No more warning message at start-up anymore👍🏻

Last edited by PSC747 on 26th Apr 2023 9:18 am. Edited 1 time in total
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

• Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum