No, I have oil dilution / early service issue 85%/46
  • Blackfly
    Canada 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Indus Silver

nice touch with the DEF. volume,

F50, Fourtack, LR3 and now..............D5 HSE TDV6
  • Pcheaven
    United Kingdom 

Seems the majority of 3.0d owners had oil dilution issue.
    Mine seems to be fixed, following a new exhaust.
    Will do a few more mile and see.....
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

New exhaust? Was thinking the pinhole they found? Did they replace the whole exhaust system??
  • IndusD4
    Australia 

My oil was changed under warranty yesterday at 4,500km. The report said 8.2% dilution.Shocked

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • Yorkietiger
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Santorini Black

Reluctant to buy a used TD6

Test drove an sD4 today, concluded based on a solo drive that it would not be up to towing my 1800kgs caravan. Ok it would pull it, but with nothing like the gusto my SDV6 D4 does. So disappointing as the car itself is great.

Such a shame there appear to be so many issues with the TD6, I cannot justify spending near £50k for a used 2017 vehicle that is going to be having oil changes every few thousand miles. I see there are one or two on here that say they have not had major problems but many say they have, and they seem to be the majority.

Looks like a trip to the Audi or BMW dealers for me!

Last edited by Yorkietiger on 8th Oct 2018 6:06 pm. Edited 1 time in total
  • JonM
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

Or wait to see if the SDV6 engine option is also affected. It's too early to be sure yet but mine is showing a 1 to 1 ratio of miles driven to service interval reduction so far.....

MY2022 D5 HSE D300 - with extra nice bits added
    MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - sold to a dealer for a crazy price!
  • IndusD4
    Australia 

I fail to see how bolting on a second turbo is going to fix what has been said to be a design issue with the exhaust system.

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • JonM
    United Kingdom 

Is it an exhaust design issue? Is it a software issue? There seems to be conflicting theories and little conclusive evidence. Whichever it is, it might (or might not) have been modified in some way with the introduction of the new engine.

I certainly don't know and can only wait to see what happens over the next couple of months.

• DieselRanger
    United States 

IndusD4 wrote:
    I fail to see how bolting on a second turbo is going to fix what has been said to be a design issue with the exhaust system.

In theory, two turbos will keep the exhaust temp higher than one in a V engine, since the crossover pipe from one bank over to the turbo, which in the Td6 is mounted to the side, results in radiated heat loss thus cooling the exhaust stream to the point where the DPF can't get hot enough in everyday driving to slow soot buildup or otherwise passively clean it. Two turbos mounted to separate exhaust streams for each bank result in a shorter overall path for each bank into the downpipe, resulting in less passive heat loss and higher overall exhaust temperature.

Theory doesn't always translate into reality, however. I'm still of the opinion that the software is at fault and is overestimating FIO.
  • IndusD4
    Australia 

I understand that it may run hotter with a second turbo but I thought it was a low pressure one to get the car off the line quicker. So I have my doubts that it would make much if any impact. We need guinea pigs to see the how the SD6 performs - Jon Smile

Ron

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • bammmy

JonM wrote:
    Is it an exhaust design issue? Is it a software issue? There seems to be conflicting theories and little conclusive evidence. Whichever it is, it might (or might not) have been modified in some way with the introduction of the new engine.

I certainly don't know and can only wait to see what happens over the next couple of months.

Hi JonM,

Would you be so kind as to keep me up to date regarding the oil dilution issue with the SD6 engine you have. I am really close to ordering one for delivery March '19 but am concerned about the oil issue.
    Cheers

Mark

Last edited by bammmy on 20th Oct 2018 3:35 pm. Edited 2 times in total
  • JonM
    United Kingdom 

Still no sign of a problem with mine.

Today's figures are:

• DieselRanger
    United States 

IndusD4 wrote:
    I understand that it may run hotter with a second turbo but I thought it was a low pressure one to get the car off the line quicker. So I have my doubts that it would make much if any impact. We need guinea pigs to see the how the SD6 performs - Jon Smile

Ron

I can't find any information on the design of the SdV6 - I had thought it was a traditional twin-turbo setup (one for each bank of cylinders) rather than a sequential setup. The Td6 is a VVT, which in theory is more efficient and responsive over a wider range of engine speeds than a sequential setup.
  • Hauser
    Germany 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Fuji White

Hauser wrote:
    Hi,

well my pre-owned D5 (3.0L) was a dealer owned vehicle and used for everything. Mostly lots of short trips. I bought it 10 month and 19.000 km (11.800 miles) later. It had no oil change before. So it seams it didn't have much oil dilution OR they ignored it for month.

Voted for 1 year / no dilution.

Greets,
    Hauser

Don't know if the dealer just ignored the service messages... The D5 is calling for an oil service at 5.000 miles (done 3.500), now that I own it. Sad

Discovery 5 (MY 2021): HSE, D300, Fuji White
    Discovery Sport (MY 2016): HSE, TD4, Firenze Red w. black roof
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum