↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Does anyone have a 3.0 and not have oil dilution issues?54 Votes
    Yes, have had mine over a year, no oil dilution 9%/5
    Yes, had mine 6 months ish, no oil dilution 5%/3
    No, I have oil dilution / early service issue 85%/46
  • JonM
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

Interestingly, I popped in to my local dealer's today to buy a service plan for my new D5 and whilst chatting to them I asked about the oil dilution issues. Obviously, my SDV6 engine hasn't been available for long enough to know if it is still a problem or not but they claimed not to be seeing the problem in 2018 vehicles - just older ones.

MY2022 D5 HSE D300 - with extra nice bits added
    MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - sold to a dealer for a crazy price!
  • Pcheaven
    United Kingdom 

I thought the newer twin turbo engine also had issues.
  • JonM
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

It's only been on the road in the D5 for 12 days - too early to know yet "in real life". I've heard that problems were reported in the RRS but I'm of the opinion that "oil dilution" is a software calculation problem not a real problem with the oil. So, with every model update, there is the possibility that it has been fixed.....or not.... Rolling Eyes

MY2022 D5 HSE D300 - with extra nice bits added
    MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - sold to a dealer for a crazy price!
  • Labbix

Mine is a MY18, got it in June and now 4000km far and 0km to go to next oil service... dealer emailed following: ‘I think that driver display( Instrument Cluster) need an update, so we will perform it during your visit ’
  • Pcheaven
    United Kingdom 

Sounds like rubbish to me
  • jeb3
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Aruba

I have had a D5 Td6 for about 11 months. I sent a sample to Blackstone Labs at 6,000 miles. Summary of results was, high metal content in oil typical of a new engine, moderate dilution suggesting that I monitor. After report I took to Land Rover for an oil change. My driving during the first 6k was light duty, mix of highway and local driving.
    At 12,000 miles I again sent a sample to Blackstone Labs. Summary, metal content in oil was low (which is normal), dilution was now under 2%, which Blackstone stated was an improvement and now they considered the results to be normal. After the report I took it to Land Rover to have the oil changed. This 6k segment of driving had a significant amount of heavier workload. It pulled a 5,700 lb trailer from Philadelphia to Colorado. Once in Colorado it pulled the trailer into the Rockies multiple times for some camping. Also did some light offroad activity. I was concerned when I sent in the 12k sample that it may have some poor numbers, considering the workload, but was very pleased to see the oil sample was normal.
    The only issue I have had with the D5 is the compressor pump became very loud and would run a long time while raising the vehicle. Land Rover replaced the pump.
    At 18k I plan to send another sample to Blackstone Labs. If results are normal, I will most likely extend when I have the oil changed.
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

@jeb3 - in the cases where you changed your oil, was your indicator telling you it needed service?
  • jeb3
    United States 

No indication from the vehicle, either time. I am focused on comparable lab results. I did not want to leave the original oil in the vehicle for too long. I had read many articles that stated a new engine always throws off high metal content for the first 5-6,000 miles. My first oil test supported that. I wanted to test the oil with the same amount of mileage, thus the second test was at 12k. I plan to do a 3rd. I will comment if the vehicle's indicator says I need an oil change before 18k, or if after the oil test the results are note worthy.
    1st test - results as expected
    2nd test - very pleased with results
    3rd test - fingers still crossed
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

Do you know how many miles were remaining on your oil service counter each time?
  • IndusD4
    Australia 

Have done 3,500km from new. Service required appeared today.

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • Craigp
    England 

I got the dreaded service light up just over a week ago told me i had 1100miles to go. 4 days later and about 20miles, down to 600. Just come back today its zero. Traveled a total of 40miles since the 1st warning. Censored
  • jeb3
    United States 

just prior to the first oil change it was reading 15k. Sorry, I dont know what it was stating prior to the second oil change.
  • IndusD4
    Australia 

I went from 3200km to go on Tuesday to Service Required on Wednesday after a 170km run on the motorway. Then on Thursday it went back up to 800k to go, then up to 900km to go but now it is back to Service Required. I'll let the garage worry about it, booked in for early October.

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • Labbix

Got oil replaced at 4000km and following service should be Wink
  • Labbix

• Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum