Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Seaby
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Loire Blue

Used to tow with 2.7 D3 and now have 2.0. We tow a fairly large EquiTrek trailer with 2 horses. Our 2.0D has never felt under powered but it's flattered by having 8 gears as opposed to the 5 (I think it was 5) in the D3.

Have only driven the 3.0 D5 on the Experience Day. Some of that was on the road, but it didn't feel much quicker. Have heard some say the 2.0 feels more nimble / less heavy on the road. Have to say our 2.0 is a far better handling car that the D3. But they are lighter.

I would have the 2.0 again and spend the money on useful extras like 3rd row air con.
  • JackNorris
    United Kingdom 

Thanks all - I had a 3.0 MY18 as a courtesy car for a day and it feels nippy compared to the D4. I am driving the 2.0 litre on Sunday and will go from there.
  • Yorkietiger
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Santorini Black

I wondered if you have now tried the 2.0l and if so what did you think? I too am pondering switch from 3.0l D4 but I am not sure I want to deal with reported issues with the D5 3.0l and the problems with the PDF regens and what have you. That said I will be towing a twin axle caravan and the car must be able to handle that well.
  • graemesmith1960
    Scotland 

I tow a car trailer - about 2600kg max although it's usually around 1100kg. The D4 SDV6 I had was brilliant and gave about 28 to the gallon on a long run towing the trailer with a Caterham on it which has all the aerodynamic properties of a house brick.

My new D5 - 3.0l Sd6 is a leap ahead of the D4. 35mpg towing the same setup. Actually its so good you tend to forget the trailer is attached. The new 3.0l Sd6 engine is just amazing. Very quick acceleration especially at higher speeds.

To be fair I have never driven a 2.0l D5 or a Td6 version so I can only compare it to the D4.

No signs of Oil Dilution yet but I've only done 1000 miles so it is very early days.

2019 Sd6 HSE Corris Grey
  • Flat Earther
    United Kingdom 

JackNorris wrote:
    Thanks all - I had a 3.0 MY18 as a courtesy car for a day and it feels nippy compared to the D4. I am driving the 2.0 litre on Sunday and will go from there.

So, how did you get on in the end?
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum