Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• D5Comm
    United Kingdom 

What off road tyres on 19” rims

Looking for a set off all terrains for 19” rims.
    Last ones on D4 were General grabber AT3 and GGAT before that.
    Would like to go back to BFG A/Ts but don’t think it’s an option still.

Any suggestions?
  • LancsLad
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Santorini Black

Had Grabbers on other stuff for years but did find the sidewalls a little soft.
    so swapped to BFG KO2 which i swear by absolutly awesome tyre as used by a lot of pros round here and in the lakes, MRT teams etc.

But i have heard that the new Grabber AT3's are a bit tougher and they look it so i'm probably going to try a set on my d5.

but then again i do like the look of the Duratracs... Rolling Eyes

Santorini Black MY 18 HSE Dynamic BLACK TDV6
  • Gary
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Grabbers

Hi I changed my wheels and tyres for winter sporting season and put Grabber AT3 ON they are brilliant both of and on road been in muddy fields etc definite recommended

Gary
  • LancsLad
    United Kingdom 

what Size you fit? Thumbs Up

• HDFB110
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Corris Grey

I'm looking for a set (4 off) of 20 inch Discovery 5 rims - so I can fit the GG AT3 tyres.
    See lots of LR alloys on ebay but I want to get ones that came off a Disco 5.
    I want to make sure they are the right fit.
    I understand there are many different off sets - 47 seems to be the right off set & gives the correct brake clearance.
  • D5Comm
    United Kingdom 

Are Duratracs available in a 19" ? Seen them in the past and looked ok.

Also, Cooper Discoverers. Can't seem to find them in a larger size either?

Will probably end up with the Grabber AT3's again which are very good. Last set did 45-50k. Just fancied something slightly more aggressive.
  • D5Comm
    United Kingdom 

Seems it will have to be the General Grabber AT3's then.
    Apparently Duractrac's are only speed rated to 100mph.

On the old Disco4 forum this thread would have on for pages but D5 owners are obviously a different breed. Very quiet on most topics it seems! Rolling Eyes Question
  • LancsLad
    United Kingdom 

Agreed!

275/45/20 are a good fit.
    Better profile.

• andynoiseboy
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Kaikoura Stone

I had Cooper Discoverers on my Freelander 2 a while back. The walls began to crack quite early with lots of tread left. So much so that I got an MOT advisory.
    Just an FYI, but I won't be buying them again in a hurry.

I'd like some 19" winter rims for the D5 too but don't want to spend silly money. .....I watch with interest....
  • Mcoy
    Italy 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) SE Namib Orange

Hi,
    I wrote several times to LR Italy and to Global Customer Relation for homologated off road tyre and/or rims for the new Discovery (5) and the answer was: "no type of off-road wheels or tires are foreseen for the European market. we're sorry"... Censored
    The only way is to buy tires and rims that are not approved in Europe.

I should not have replaced my old Discovery 3 Big Cry , I should not have trusted Land Rover.
  • D5Comm
    United Kingdom 

General Grabber AT3's are rated to 130mph. May be this is not enough in LR's opinion as the D5 is quicker?
  • Labbix

I drove the GG and Duratracs on my D4 in Africa, got the remark from a JLR responsible in their South African HQ were I had a meeting, that they were not ‘JLR homologated’ and that in case of a claim...
    Whatever was my answer and we drove it anyway. That D4 was a superb car and we still enjoy the memories what we have done with it and what incredible beautiful things we have seen in places where you definitely need a 4x4 with decent off road tires. Wish I could say the same for the D5, but now absolutely regret I bought it, however if I keep it, I will put Duratracs on it again, here in Europe!
  • SHARKYSHARKS
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

I’ve just put some 19” on fitted with 255/55 /19 Duratracs good in the mud but a little noisier than the 21’ on the road 👍
  • Mcoy
    Italy 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) SE Namib Orange

D5Comm wrote:
    General Grabber AT3's are rated to 130mph. May be this is not enough in LR's opinion as the D5 is quicker?

Wich size of tyres? Inserting 235/65r19 or 255/60r19 or the vehicle with any engine on the General site for Grabber AT3, the result is always "not available".

255/55r19 is not a measure indicated on the vehicle registration document (at least mine), I can mount 255/60r19 or 235/65r19 (upper diameters are not suitable for off-road).
    In Italy, if you mount a non homologated tyres on a car, in case of a traffic accident the insurance is not responsible and is a criminal offense.

If during a police check (on the highway they often do them at the exits), tires not approved are detected there is €500 fine, withdrawal of the registration certificate and the obligation to submit the car to the test (with other costs)...

There is an english rimes manufacturer (I do not know if I can say the name on the forum), that manufacture 18' rims for the new Discovery (2.0 240hp) they would be excellent for off-road but LR does not allow to homologate them.

The only thing is to hope that some tire manufacturer will start producing off-road tires of approved sizes.
  • Labbix

So you say in Italy you are only allowed to drive car factory approved tires? I’m from Belgium and never heard this. Here I just go to a local tire guy, ask what he recommends and buy it, no questions asked, never had troubles when going to the obligatory car inspections and drove the same car everywhere in Europe, including Italy. Which would mean I never was really insured, I doubt this, as never ever got a remark from my insurer asking which tyres I used and they even inspected the car before agreeing on a full omnium. However Italian insurance companies can use differently approaches of course.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum