Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Chalkys HSE
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Corris Grey

So..... quick consensus, The rejection Process has failed as the title suggests, meanwhile the car is sat there !

Should i just continue to use it over the specified service limit ? I'm reading their failure to accept the previos two dealer visits as "Nothing to report" so just carry on a snormal ?

I'm dubious but id rather use it and it blow a gasket rather than not use it and put myself out....

2017 MY D5 HSE 3.0 Td6 Corris Grey, Side steps, roof rails,
  • Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

You’ve answered your own question. Personally I’d use it and be damned. Thumbs Up
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

I think the "blow a gasket" timeline (really more like a blown turbo or engine seizure) assuming you're being reasonable on your service intervals, would be in the 200k+ mile window vs. within warranty, where conceivably it would cause you problems in terms of a claim. Furthermore, you'll get lots of warning before bad things happen...terrible mileage, reduced power or limp mode, and lots of blow-by (smoke).
  • Chopsy
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

I think I too would be less concerned about the engine from the oil dilution issue than I would about something else failing and LR using the service warning being ignored as a way to avoid the warranty cover.

I note your rejection attempts refer to LR and the finance company, but I assume you are aware that legally the buck stops with the supplying dealer?

It is always going to be problematic rejecting on something like oil dilution / service intervals as opposed to something more clearly not working. You have my sympathy.
  • Chalkys HSE
    United Kingdom 

The buck does stop with the supplying dealer, But after it's been back there TWICE ! for the same issue i couldnt see why it should go in again for a 3rd, especially after the dealer principal stated "If it happens again we will go down the rejection route". Only to find out the previous visits were not recognised as dealer visits, That's the bit that's that stuck in my throat the part where i trusted the word of a car salesman.....

The dealer has basically said there's nothing that can be done, theyv'e tried driving style ! updates etc but ultimately it's left the factory like it ! the dealer also said ther'e going to charge for Oil....... now that's just rubbing salt in.

There's nothing wrong with it apart from the violent shaking and cabin filling with smoke Sad Only does this when service light initiates so presuming thats already occured it should be shudder free,

Lets just hope it doesn't burst into flames !

• Labbix

Are you sure you don’t want it to go up in flames Wink
  • Pcheaven
    United Kingdom 

Are the journeys not logged on the remote app?

They will prove when u dropped off and collected your car......
  • IndusD4
    Australia 

Why would these 2 previous times you took the car in not be "dealer visits" ? What are the requirements for a "dealer visit" ?

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • Chalkys HSE
    United Kingdom 

Yes Journeys are logged on the In Control App.

The problem is for what ever reason there has been nothing entered on the Job Card, Now... At first this seemed to be under hand, almost deciptful and i know i spoke via PM on here with another member and there was a suggestion that the dealer was maybe not recording any fix to slew it's figures.

I'm not sure now that it is that contrived and is maybe much more simpler,

I phoned up a local dealer, Explained my circumstance and was told in no uncertain terms, bring the car in by all means.... we will change the Oil and the filter and that's it.... there is no investigatory work to be carried out as the fault is widely known and cannot be fixed because it was made wrong and they have failed to remedy the issue....

So i rang anothet delaer service department where i have bought 3 previous LR's. They said the same thing.... bring it in ! we'll drop the oil & filter re-set the counter and off you go again, BUT i said.... there's some investigatory work to be carried out the, finnace company are demanding that it is looked into !
    THERE IS NO INVESTIGATORY WORK ! It's come from the factory like it and they can't and won't fix the 2017 MY !

So.... i rang my dealer.... The service desk basically said the exact the same thing, SO.... I said, that's why nothinhg has been put on the job card, YES ! she said.... that's all we have been told to do and that's it !

• Chalkys HSE
    United Kingdom 

Labbix wrote:
    Are you sure you don’t want it to go up in flames Wink

I'll have to charge the battery first Rolling with laughter

• Chalkys HSE
    United Kingdom 

IndusD4 wrote:
    Why would these 2 previous times you took the car in not be "dealer visits" ? What are the requirements for a "dealer visit" ?

The service light came on, displayed "SERVICE NOW".

It was serviced in June at 3,000 miles or so, and again in Sept at 6,000 miles.
    It went in to the dealers as just as the service now message displayed the vehicle started to shake from side to side as though it was only firing on one bank of cylinders, coughing and spluttering with smoke of a very acrid nature filling the cabin, the smoke was like the smell of bakerlite burning.

This it was suggested as the vehicle trying to create a re-gen ? WHY i asked would it do that at a stand still if i'd just driven 150 Miles from Doncaster to Twickenham ?

Nobody knows, they didnt look into it and assosciated it with the service light / Oil dilution.

It threw another SERVICE NOW in Nov 1,700 miles after the last instance, it was at this point i entered into the rejection process, unfortunately the Finance Co do not have any evidence of an attempt ever being conducted ?

The motor Ombudsman are already onto it. the process tho is VERY Long !

• Labbix

I’m really starting to think they don’t bother anymore about our cars as they have other things on their mind: ‘ Jaguar Land Rover to cut up to 5,000 jobs‘
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk...s-46810473

but maybe they can add a fourth reason to their problems: they don’t care about their loyal customers... the other obvious 3 being Brexit, China and quality issues...
  • harrythespider
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Aintree Green

Chalky, I think you have to log/note the complete history of the issue to date, You have the In control App journeys, download them and future ones if you can. Notes of witnesses if available. From now on record/ photograph everything, communicate in written form not verbal. take and retain oil samples as and when the engine instructs 'service required'. You are not obliged to have servicing done by JLR dealers, (unless your finance (if PCP) insists), use an Indy but ensure approved parts are used, keep receipts and even parts labels if possible. If ultimately you have to sue, it will at least show you have been diligent and not contributed to the issue. You can then at least in the meantime enjoy your car rather than it sit on drive the devaluing.
  • IndusD4
    Australia 

Recording the event happening would be best, if you have a dash cam then maybe put it in the back of the car facing forward so it becomes a "record the dash cam". Then drive it until it happens again, then book it into the dealers with the video evidence.

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • RAW
    England 

I would ring the dealer again and just say your confused but think you understand and want run through it again, discuss the three visits and get them to repeat that there not recorded as thats what they were told to do, only this time record the full phone conversation including them answering the call with hello JLR ???? As this would prove all that you said.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum