Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• al cope
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Corris Grey

data sim

Chaps

what size data sim are you guys using in the sim slot. I will get a data only SIM card but wondered how many GB per month was enough?

Al

Now gone - D5 HSE 2Ltr in Corris with black roof, black & dynamic packs & 22" black alloys, a bit of a change after 2 D3's and 2 D4's Smile
  • simonh
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Farallon Black

You don't need much at all unless you set up a wifi hot spot and have people using it a lot. TBH the only tiem mien is used is my wife's iPad. As MY17 only supports 3G the mobiles get better data connection.

I bought a Three PAYG preloaded SIM for about £30. Came with 24GB and lasts 24 months (or until you use it up).

Over a year later I have 13GB left.

It's used daily for traffic, using the satellite map view a fair bit, online search for locations, Live apps like Weather and News (always updated in the background).

You'll need to use the Three website to create and account and activate the SIM before it works though. I assume this is the same for other telco's.

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
    Served by the excellent Shukers Land Rover of Ludlow - 10 Land Rover’s and 20 years of amazing customer service.
  • yankeefr78
    France 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Do these three PAYG sim cards also work in France, no just for roaming ?

Question is, if I order one from UK, will I be able to use it permanently in France ?

PS: These details on the Three website are not very clear.

Thanks.

D3 HSE 2.7 06MY / D4 HSE 3.0 SDV6 13MY
    D5 HSE 3.0 19MY Santorini Black - 20" Style 5011 - Electric sun roof - Rear privacy glass - Dark satin brushed aluminium trim finisher - Ebony headlining - Heated seats & steering wheel - Premium carpet mats - Surround camera system - Black Exterior Pack - Driver Assist Pack
  • Chopsy
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

I initially had a 12GB sim with o2. Only using it for live traffic on the nav, it used less than 2GB in 11 months.

My 2019MY now comes with free sim for 36 months, but with a 500MB limit per month. I understand this covers use across Europe, but I can't confirm. The supplier is Ubigi, whoever they are.
  • Dodlestonian
    United Kingdom 

Yeah I had the Ubigi SIM free with my car.
    It ran out of data on day 3!
    Two issues. I had "upload photos to the cloud only when connected to Wi-Fi" switched on on my phone, and I also had the satellite view switched on on the car Sat nav.
    Switched those off now!

I looked at upgrading it but they wanted £110 for 12 months at 2GB per month so I've bunged in an O2 SIM now with 5GB/ month which is much cheaper.
    I'm sure I could do better but I had the O2 SIM already hanging around. Very Happy

2019 D5 Lux. HUD, adaptive dynamics, dynamic pack 2, cooler box, privacy glass, advanced tow assist, black roof rails, massage seats, tech plus pack, detachable towbar, driver assist pack, capability plus pack.
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

yankeefr78 wrote:
    Do these three PAYG sim cards also work in France, no just for roaming ?

Question is, if I order one from UK, will I be able to use it permanently in France ?

PS: These details on the Three website are not very clear.

Thanks.

I use my Three sim in France for 2 holidays of 3 weeks each every year with no problem.
    Not sure if their computer system would flag your usage as excessive after a certain point though?

Buy one use it and see what happens, you would probably get many months usage that would end up being good value anyway.

The worst that could happen is that they would block it, I did not register mine, so they cannot find you!! Rolling with laughter
  • al cope
    United Kingdom 

I cant seem to find any really good deals on prelaoded sims like the 30quid for 24 months one mentioned above, all the preloaded ones seem to be a max of 12 months and even 24GB is 40odd quid, so recon a 1GB per month contract one might be where I end up going.

If anyone knows any good deals on the go let me know
    Thanks
    Al

Now gone - D5 HSE 2Ltr in Corris with black roof, black & dynamic packs & 22" black alloys, a bit of a change after 2 D3's and 2 D4's Smile
  • Trevorb1
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 SE Corris Grey

I got a 24gb 24 month 3 sim a few weeks ago for just under £40 with the 10 percent from the well know auction site. Search on "internet with legs".

24MY D300 Dynamic SE, Fuji White, Deployable Towbar, full size spare.
    Gone 20MY SDV6 Landmark, Indus Silver, Deployable Towbar, 360 Cameras
  • al cope
    United Kingdom 

yes searched for those already - 24Gb valid for 24 months seems to be approx 45quid just now. Will keep looking

Thanks
    Al

• Teemo
    United Kingdom 

£42.71 today for 24months/24GB.

That works out out £1.71 per month and an average of 2GB per month - I can't see any monthly packages that come anywhere close to that so unless you plan to ditch the car within a year it seems like a pretty good deal to me.

Even the 12month/12GB at £33.15 is a better deal than any contract packages I can find.
  • al cope
    United Kingdom 

@ teemo - where are you seeing that deal - happy to go for that Thumbs Up

ignore that - found it on amazon and orederd one - thanks Thumbs Up

Al

• Teemo
    United Kingdom 

Very Happy
  • marvin
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Si4 HSE Corris Grey

I use the Three 200mb/month - totally free! Never seem to use it all up although for long journeys just use my phone hotspot.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum