Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Dodlestonian
    United Kingdom 

Phone Bracket

With the help of Allan and Arthur from this forum I've created a phone bracket for the D5.

This allows your phone to be put in the best possible place IMHO for reception and viewing.
    The bracket is 3D printed and it clips into the horizontal wood strip either side of the steering wheel, so you don't obstruct the air vent, and the phone is as high up as practically possible.

The bracket is designed to be used with a phone holder, probably you could use the one you already have. The phone holder bolts to this bracket.
    Once the bracket is fitted it stays put!

Further info here https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3384731

2019 D5 Lux. HUD, adaptive dynamics, dynamic pack 2, cooler box, privacy glass, advanced tow assist, black roof rails, massage seats, tech plus pack, detachable towbar, driver assist pack, capability plus pack.
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

Looks good, are you going to be producing these and selling them??

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • Dodlestonian
    United Kingdom 

Hi Russell

I wasn't intending to produce or sell them, I've uploaded the files to Thingiverse so anyone can download for free and print the bracket or maybe get a friend with a 3D printer to do it for them.

I think Thingiverse also has a printing service at low cost.

Cheers

AJ

2019 D5 Lux. HUD, adaptive dynamics, dynamic pack 2, cooler box, privacy glass, advanced tow assist, black roof rails, massage seats, tech plus pack, detachable towbar, driver assist pack, capability plus pack.
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 

AJ cheers for info, am not into this tech stuff and dont have a 3D printer.
    But thanks anyway and a great effort with a good result Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • Dodlestonian
    United Kingdom 

I'm surprised that no phone bracket company has bothered to make something similar.

I realise that Landrover have a wireless charger available and this would be fine if the car is in a city or an area of good signal but in low signal areas having a phone low down in the body of the car surrounded by electromagnetic interference sources surely isn't an optimum choice.

The ability to have the phone at eye level makes it realistic to use the phone for apps like Waze.
    Using Android auto etc also allows these apps to be used on the car monitor but once again there are limitations.
    I have Android auto on my disco but using Waze through that removes a significant amount of the functionality of Waze etc.

• Russell
    United Kingdom 

So am I hence why I asked if you were going to produce and sell them Very Happy

• simonh
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Farallon Black

Looks great. Does the phone not get hidden by the steering wheel ?

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
    Served by the excellent Shukers Land Rover of Ludlow - 10 Land Rover’s and 20 years of amazing customer service.
  • Dodlestonian
    United Kingdom 

Hi,
    The bracket is designed so that the phone just clears the dash. That gives the possibility to rotate it and angle it as required.
    Although it just clears the dash, there's quite a distence between the wood strip and the actual phone which brings the phone out closer to the steering wheel.
    Here's a photo I've just taken showing the view from the drivers seat.
    I'm average size I guess so my seat is about half way back on the runners.

My view of the phone is virtually unrestricted as you can see, also note that the bracket lifts the phone quite high, as a bonus, this would allow the phone camera to film the road ahead if you wanted to.

• simonh
    United Kingdom 

Looks a great place. My Brodit is mounted in front of the drivers side vent which is a pain in the hot weather.

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
    Served by the excellent Shukers Land Rover of Ludlow - 10 Land Rover’s and 20 years of amazing customer service.
  • EMcC
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 SE Corris Grey

Why does anybody want a 'phone on view when driving, mines ticked away but still works via blue tooth.
  • Dodlestonian
    United Kingdom 

The brodit should fix to my bracket easily.
    Just remove the vent mount and replace it with my bracket.

• Dodlestonian
    United Kingdom 

EMcC wrote:
    Why does anybody want a 'phone on view when driving, mines ticked away but still works via blue tooth.

There's many reasons but some of them are:-

1) To get a better signal.

2) So you can use the phone screen for apps, better navigation etc.

3) Landrover are moving towards two screens instead of one, if you have your phone in view this can be used for certain functions leaving the car monitor for other duties.

4) so you can use your phone to record video of the road ahead.

5) many apps work better used directly on the phone rather that via carplay.

6) to free up your air vents

Personally I much prefer Waze for navigation and it only provides full functionality of you use it directly on the phone.
    With the nav on the phone I have my car monitor free for controlling audio, car functions, cameras and information.

Very Happy

• EMcC
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 SE Corris Grey

Just goes to show how easily I am pleased.
    I have no problem with signal once latched on to Blue tooth,
    I have a very satisfactory Sat Nav.
    I have a recording of any road incidents via my Dash Cam.
    I can't think of anything else I would want whilst driving.
    My 'phone is tucked away out of view and not likely to wizz around in the cab should I be involved in a roll over car accident.
  • Dodlestonian
    United Kingdom 

Hi,
    Having a phone tucked away as you have certainly has advantages.

Unfortunately for me I don't live in an area with a good mobile coverage.
    Moving the phone from high up to the centre console loses me two bars of signal.
    For me that makes the difference from signal to no signal here in the sticks Shocked

• simonh
    United Kingdom 

Dodlestonian wrote:
    The brodit should fix to my bracket easily.
    Just remove the vent mount and replace it with my bracket.

It would. Simply 4 x small self tapping screws to attach the holder to the Brodit mount.

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum