Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• jimbg
    United Kingdom 

Are our cars safe from thieves.....

Which? analysed data on keyless - or "relay" - attacks from the General German Automobile Club (ADAC), a roadside recovery organisation.

ADAC tested 237 keyless cars and found that all but three were susceptible.

The latest models of the Discovery and Range Rover, and the 2018 Jaguar i-Pace, all made by Jaguar Land Rover, were found to be secure.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47023003

Last edited by jimbg on 31st Jan 2019 9:59 pm. Edited 2 times in total
  • 747_JK
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Good to know, but I'll still keep my key in one of those funny wallets which stops signals reaching them, just to be sure!

MY23.5 D5 3.0 MHEV Metropolitan Edition – Santorini Black – Ebony Windsor Leather – 21” Style 5025 gloss black wheels – 21” full size spare tyre – Black roof rails – Black side mouldings - Williams Ceramic Coat. [Gone: D5 HSE @ 50,795miles: (now LH68 BYW)]
  • Seaby
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Loire Blue

I keep all my keys in an old microwave. Last place someone would think to look if they broke in and blocks the signal
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Let's just hope you dont inadvertently switch it on after a boozy night out and totally fry the microchips inside the fob Laughing

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • unido
    United Kingdom 

• Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Interesting Thumbs Up

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • Dodlestonian
    United Kingdom 

I think you'll find if you turn the microwave on with the keys inside and let them cook for a few minutes that might do the trick?

Rolling with laughter

2019 D5 Lux. HUD, adaptive dynamics, dynamic pack 2, cooler box, privacy glass, advanced tow assist, black roof rails, massage seats, tech plus pack, detachable towbar, driver assist pack, capability plus pack.
  • ForlornMTL
    Canada 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Firenze Red

Maybe the lining and casing of the microwave oven works as a blocker. Just like any other tin box.
    But that piece of glass in it's door...not so much.

2017 HSE Luxury TD6 Dynamic Pack in Firenze Red, Ebony with Pimento Stitch.
  • ForlornMTL
    Canada 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Firenze Red

Every time i read the title of this thread i think to myself
    "this title starts as a question but ends as a statement" Rolling with laughter

2017 HSE Luxury TD6 Dynamic Pack in Firenze Red, Ebony with Pimento Stitch.
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

Ha Ha! Fixed now. Rolling with laughter
  • al cope
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Corris Grey

Chaps - I think the general opinion is that the later D5's keyless theft (keyless relay type theft) is less likely as LR have improved the security, but are they still vunerable to having a window broken and somebody connecting to the ODB port and programming a key?

Al

Now gone - D5 HSE 2Ltr in Corris with black roof, black & dynamic packs & 22" black alloys, a bit of a change after 2 D3's and 2 D4's Smile
  • Trevorb1
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 SE Corris Grey

I dont believe you can add any keys once the keyless vehicle module (KVM) is locked at PDI. If you loose a key and want a replacement, the dealer has to replace the KVM and programme the new keys at same time, again once locked thats it.

24MY D300 Dynamic SE, Fuji White, Deployable Towbar, full size spare.
    Gone 20MY SDV6 Landmark, Indus Silver, Deployable Towbar, 360 Cameras
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum