Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Coffeecup
    United Kingdom 

How to get heater to blow hot air

Hi All,

So, I can press the AirCon Max button and I get blasted in the driver's seat with cold air on my face and my feet....

What I can't manage is to find a way to do is to get Hot air to even mildly blow on my face or even down on my feet.

I've had the fan (centre control dial) turned fully up, with temp set at various temps between 22 C and max, and can't really feel anything blowing.

I've selected the arrow pointing at my face (on the dashboard screen) and can feel a little more air coming from the dash vents, but when I press the down arrow (and the face arrow off) nothing can be felt blowing down at my feet.

So, I can get a cold face quickly or cold feet quickly, which might be nice in the height of summer, but I cant get decent amounts of hot air into the car.

I doubt that my car has been built as an exclusive desert vehicle, so as I'm based in England help and setting suggestions greatly appreciated.

Laurence
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

Not sure what MY or model you have, but there were several updates to the AC system.
  • Coffeecup
    United Kingdom 

Car's an 18 month old HSE Lux.

Not sure there has been any updates recently applied, but car's due for its service in a few weeks time so I can ask then.

Laurence
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

So a MY17? I had a few updates to mine.

You can add your car details to your profile, see mine above next to the Union flag.
  • Coffeecup
    United Kingdom 

Thanks, I'll ask when car's at the dealers for it's service.

I've managed to add some detail of my car in my signature strip too.

2005 TDV6 S - Tonga Green, 2008 TDV6 SE - Stornoway Grey, 2010 SDV6 XS - Galway Green
    2017 D5 HSE LUX 3.0 SDV6 Grey
  • StinTov
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Silicon Silver

Mines an MY18 with all the latest updates, I agree it's crap and I can fart hotter. The heated seats are the same. You can turn them on to max but they don't get hot until the car comes to a standstill after a longish run.
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

heater definitley blows much warmer (not hot) air fropm face vents than from foot vents, first car since my 1979 Morris Marina that I have had cold feet driving in winter...

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • simonh
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Farallon Black

Mine is the same. Warm air until the cabin reaches the set temperature then we get cold draughts around legs and the face vents always blow cool air. It's been the same in nearly every LR we've owned TBH.

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
    Served by the excellent Shukers Land Rover of Ludlow - 10 Land Rover’s and 20 years of amazing customer service.
  • harrythespider
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Aintree Green

It's possible that the MAX setting is to move a lot of air around the car and ultimately through the condenser to remove moisture to assist in demisting the glass quickly, I'm lucky enough to have heated front screen and obviously heated rear screen, along with heated seats and steering wheel so tend not to use MAX setting,

3.0 HSE. climate HUD active diff. elec towbar. FBH and timed climate.Capability plus pack.split TV. surround sound. Intelligent seating. adaptive lights, wade sensing. 360 cameras.pro pack.cooler.advanced tow, auto park,activity key+ more!!!!
  • JST
    United Kingdom 

^^^^^^ exactly that when on max.
  • maxmax
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Loire Blue

In the ventilation menu you can set air flow to quiet and soft or hard and powerful.

Re heated seats, it’s about 1 minute on every D5 we’ve had (4 of them), so it’s probably worth getting it checked out.

HSE Lux MY17 in Loire Blue with deployable tow bar, activity key and cubby fridge. (And Apple CarPlay and Android Auto)
  • Wolfpack
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Si6 HSE Corris Grey

It stands to reason that the heater will blow warm/hot air until the cab temperature reaches the set temperature then ‘cool’ air after that.

That’s because it’s then merely blowing the ambient temperature air around...ie causing a draught, just like basic desk fans do on hot days. Its wind chill.

Had this for years with caravan heating. Once the hot air has been uniformly distributed around the caravan interior, the STILL circulating fan feels like cool air is blowing around the feet. Solution ...turn the fan down to trickle speed and don’t cause a draught.

I am surprised the LR system doesn’t do just that. High volume air flow is only needed to rapidly distribute hot / cold, thereby equilibrating the enclosed area temperature.....or deliberately introduce direct cooling from wind chill. If the heater continued to blow perceptible hot air, the temperature of the enclosed area would keep on heating up and up.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum