Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• GaryK
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Santorini Black

Scissor jack issue

Hi everyone this is my first post
    Has anybody tried to change a punctured tyre yet using the jack and handle supplied with the D5 my 2 piece handle just keeps spinning out of the eye on the jack, I cannot even get one complete turn out of it!! not sure if I have a faulty handle or it’s been badly designed.
    Any one else had any issues??
    Thanks
  • Whippetman
    England 

I would only call LR Assist for changing a tyre.
    Vehicle too heavy to use unless it’s really off the road.
    That’s what we pay for😊

HSE LUX, Aintree Green GONE
  • JackNorris
    United Kingdom 

I am the same, always did for d4 unless at home with a 3 ton trolley jack. Thumbs Up
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

Re: Scissor jack issue

GaryK wrote:
    Hi everyone this is my first post
    Has anybody tried to change a punctured tyre yet using the jack and handle supplied with the D5 my 2 piece handle just keeps spinning out of the eye on the jack, I cannot even get one complete turn out of it!! not sure if I have a faulty handle or it’s been badly designed.
    Any one else had any issues??
    Thanks

Agreed its absolute rubbish, woke up one morning to find it sat with a flat on the drive (having been delivered back by the dealer the previous evening)

Our 1800kg caravan is considerably easier to jack up compared to the D5

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • LancsLad
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Santorini Black

Not even studied it...but thanks now i know to sling an 8T bottle jack in like i do for other 4x4's. Very Happy
    wish manufacturers would put decent kit in...dream on. An 8t bottle jack cost £20 on ebay...how hard can it be. Rolling Eyes

Santorini Black MY 18 HSE Dynamic BLACK TDV6
  • Blackfly
    Canada 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Indus Silver

totally agreee about the jack, had cause to use it twice in anger recently, the second time I remembered I had a bottle jack on board, much easier if used in tamed with the LR product

F50, Fourtack, LR3 and now..............D5 HSE TDV6
  • RDR
    United Kingdom 

Been an issue ever since the D3, the jacks are really flaky and in my opinion not to be trusted, I had one strip on me, took it into dealers they swapped it for one out off a demonstrator without batting an eyelid the way they reacted to my comments were pretty accepting as if it was not the first.

Ever since I have had a merc sprinter bottle jack in the back, if your going for a bottle jack make sure it has the height to get the wheel off the ground but is short enough to get under the car in the first place (baring in mind a flat can lower the car)..

MY06 S - Gone but not forgotten, MY12 HSE - Gone, MY16 HSE Luxury - Gone, D5 MY20 D5 HSE - Gone
    MY23 Range Rover PHEV
  • Blackfly
    Canada 

come to think of it the D3 jack was also suspect as was the wheel brace, mine broke, so I got a decent extendable one with some oversize sockets to cope with the D3s rusting/expanding wheel nuts

Last edited by Blackfly on 7th Jul 2019 5:36 pm. Edited 1 time in total

• chaos_theory
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

D3/4 scissor jacks were not fit for purpose and bent. The answer there was a telescopic bottle jack (the Mercedes Sprinter jack was ideal) if LR Assist was not an option. Not sure if anyone has found a similar substitute yet for a D5?

Andrew
  • Blackfly
    Canada 

I am assuming that a Hiighlift jack is not going to work due to the curvature of the body?????

• Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

I agree the jack isn’t great, but in an emergency, I found if you made sure it was level and straight and kept an eye on it when jacking, you’d get away with it. I know you shouldn’t have to, but just saying.
  • Chalkey
    England 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) SE Indus Silver

I tried and it was really difficult, the car just kept on rising up and the wheel just stayed on the ground
    in the I call out LR assist. I was worried about the car jack failing, I'm thinking about buying a small trolley jack and keeping it in the car.

MY 21 3.0 D250 S White, 20in wheels, twin sun roof, privacy glass, heated stirring wheel, roof rails.
    Gone 17reg 2.0 SE Silver, 21in black wheels, privacy glass, roof rails, side steps.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum