Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Roof rails - retrofit

Another question from me as I finalise my spec...sorry guys!

I think I am going to remove the roof rails from my build as I seriously doubt we will use them. However, the car is intended to be a long term keeper.

Am I right in thinking that JLR roof rails can be retrofitted by dealers, in the event that we decide we need them in x years?
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

We just put them on for cosmetic purposes as it finishes the car, I thought.
    Will never use them though Laughing

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 

Yep, that was also part of my reason for having them Laughing I never even questioned it, just ticked the box on the configurator!

Starting to question the need though...so thinking of missing them off and adding later if really needed down the line.
  • al cope
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Corris Grey

I have a set in the garage right now awaiting being fitted (might do it this weekend, weather dependant). They are quite easy to fit yourself, doesnt need to be dealer fit (as I do on occassions need to use the cross bars and you cant use these without the rails

Al

Now gone - D5 HSE 2Ltr in Corris with black roof, black & dynamic packs & 22" black alloys, a bit of a change after 2 D3's and 2 D4's Smile
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 

Great, thanks Al. So they are easily DIY fitted as well, even better.

That's a box unchecked on the build then. And money saved. Now, shall i spend it on the cooler compartment instead Wink Laughing
  • HDFB110
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Corris Grey

Yes - they can be retro fitted - I bought & did mine myself.
    Not an overly difficult job - just give your self time - don't rush it.
    All of the needed bolt holes are already present.

I must admit they do tend to finish the car off.

Have bought a set of Thule cross bars and have been surprised how many times I have use them.
  • al cope
    United Kingdom 

I will try and take some pics as I fit mine, and any gottcha's I come across but from the fitting instructions (and there is a youtube vid of a guy in the states fitting them) it doesnt look hard.

What I would say is there are a few sets on fleebay, but these dont come with the trim finishers that the genuine LR set come with. I'm told you can moddify the ones already fitted but I went for the genuine ones so that I got all the right bits(got them from Dan @ Duckworths)

Al

Now gone - D5 HSE 2Ltr in Corris with black roof, black & dynamic packs & 22" black alloys, a bit of a change after 2 D3's and 2 D4's Smile
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 

Thanks for all the information guys!

Al, the pics will be very much appreciated, as long as it doesn't slow you down too much Smile

Rich
  • MalithS
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery Td6 HSE Santorini Black

Here we go the official fitting instructions:

http://accessories-instructions.landrover....y/G2011166
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

Got the garage to fit them, as knowing my luck end up marking the roof or cracking the sunroofs, plus the dreaded thought of water leaking into the headliner. If that was the case the garage would have to fix the water ingress issue.
    Not to mention they have the proper tools and ladders etc which hopefully means less scratched body panels Smile

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

http://accessories-instructions.landrover....y/G2011166

Heres a link to foitting instructions

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • al cope
    United Kingdom 

and whilst the instructions tell you to bin some of the parts coming off, I plan on keeping those as it means I could take the rails off when it comes to selling the D5. I can keep then in the packaging the new bits came in Thumbs Up

Al

• Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

Watch the clips that hold the trim panels in place they are fragile

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • al cope
    United Kingdom 

OK Russ

youtube vid here:

Al

• Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

al cope wrote:
    and whilst the instructions tell you to bin some of the parts coming off, I plan on keeping those as it means I could take the rails off when it comes to selling the D5. I can keep then in the packaging the new bits came in Thumbs Up

Al

I did the exact same with regards to the rear tow eye cover, rear cross member, which was replaced with the tow bar one, and the finishers which were taken off the roof before rails were installed.

Also asked for all the grommets etc to be given back as can come in really handy if ones broken in the future. Thumbs Up

• Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum