Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• al cope
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Corris Grey

Thule wingbars

Chaps

Now that I have my roof rails fitted, I need to get some cross bars, and given comments about the LR ones being a bit high, thought I'd go for some Thule Wingbars. From their site is says I need footpack 753 and fitting kit 4080 (OK fine) but then Wingbar 127 (or 969), so 127cm wide bars.

That seems excesively wide, and means I cant leave them "stored" across the back of the loadbay as this is approx 120cm (maybe a bit more, wasnt measuring accurately), and when I measure across the roof 127cm wide sticks out quite a bit.

Are any of you guys using Thule bars?

Thanks
    Al

Now gone - D5 HSE 2Ltr in Corris with black roof, black & dynamic packs & 22" black alloys, a bit of a change after 2 D3's and 2 D4's Smile
  • Labbix

Yep, since the D4 I use them, 127 cm, only thing I had to buy again for the D5 were the connectors. Very happy with them, but close the slides at the underside of the bar, otherwise a hell of a noise! If closed very silent. I even use them on my other cars, which are not as wide without trouble (Passat and Q5)
  • Labbix

You can ‘lock’ the bars with a key if you buy that ‘option’, so why would you want them to be in the car if unused?

If not on the car, I leave them connected to our ski box and put it on its 2 holders on the wall (like bike holders).
  • al cope
    United Kingdom 

OK, but I guess my question is do they need to be 127 wide? - would any of the smaller width versions be OK (120, 124)

I dont want to leave them on all the time. I dont have a roof/ski box (as dont need one) but what I do want, is not to find they are in the garage at home when I am out somewhere and need to get something long home. Thats why it was great to leave the crossbars on my D4 in the boot, and want to do the same again.

Al

Now gone - D5 HSE 2Ltr in Corris with black roof, black & dynamic packs & 22" black alloys, a bit of a change after 2 D3's and 2 D4's Smile
  • Labbix

Some pics from the Passat and D4, never took pics from the other cars apparently, but for me they don’t stick out too much at all:

• Labbix

Ok, got it, I think even the 120 cm will be ok on the D5, the 124 for sure!
  • al cope
    United Kingdom 

OK Thanks - I could go for the Wingbar Edge but these are daft money new whereas you can find loads of Thule wingbars and the right 753 footpacks on Fleebay for more sensible cash.

I think I might try and find a Thule stockist and try some diffent sizes

Al

• Labbix

Would be surprised if the 120cm would not fit, but you’d better be sure of course. It’s very good quality so second hands seems a good option. I have mine 7 years already without any issues and used on different cars. That was actually my only reason to buy the large ones, to be sure they would fit on all cars.
  • IndusD4
    Australia 

Al,

I have the Thule Wingbars on mine. Some pictures:

Part numbers here were 75300, 969200 and 4080. They don't stick out at all, but you can see the overhang of the bars is much bigger at the rear due to the tapered shape of the roof.

Ron

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • al cope
    United Kingdom 

Cheers Ron. They are the part numbers that Thule say are for the D5.

Al

• al cope
    United Kingdom 

well. tried different sizes of wingbar, and the roof is 10cm wider at the front so this is where 127 is needed, 120 would be OK at the rear but no point in getting different sizes - shame I cant 127 wide in the boot.

I need to find some wingbar edge and measure these - if these are also too wide I will just stick with some 127 squarebars

Al

• IndusD4
    Australia 

I guess it depends on what you want to fit to the bars. But with an awning, I'd stick to 127cm bars back and front.

This is a 2.5m long awning, when sitting in the car I can't see it at the front (or rear for that matter). When opening the tailgate it still clears it but you can see you wouldn't fit this with a shorter bar at the rear.

Ron

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • al cope
    United Kingdom 

I only want some for occasional use like carrying ladders or other long items so will keep looking for some that work for me.

Al

• GEOBLRDISCO4_SOFAR
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Corris Grey

Al, do the milenco aero's for the D4 fit the D5? Thought you might know

Cheers
  • Whippetman
    England 

Does anyone know if it’s ok to fit 140cm bars to the Thule 753 foot with the 4080 fit kit,?
    Cheers!

HSE LUX, Aintree Green GONE
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum