Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Slug
    United Kingdom 

New HSE ordered - was cancelled, now delivered!!!

Hi All
    Just thought I'd fill you all in, now I have a confirmed build date.
    Have put a deposit down on a new HSE.
    Spec:
    Silicon Silver
    20" Alloys, as I will be putting General Grabber at3's on it.
    Dynamic pack 2 - (notice this looks to have beem removed from the MY20 build sheet)
    Black contrast roof & roof rails
    Privacy Glass
    Brushed aluminium trim
    Heated steering wheel
    Remote timed park heat
    Terrain response 2
    Adaptive dynamics
    At the moment a multi height towbar (may change for the deployable)

Build date of mid June, so hopefully get it early July at best.

Can't wait - doesn't seems to be much difference betwwen MY19 & MY20 apart from the price increases.

Thumbs Up

Last edited by Slug on 11th Nov 2019 8:29 am. Edited 2 times in total
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Sounds great, silicon silver is a great colour. Is this your first D5 with adaptive dynamics? And did you manage to test drive one with that option?

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • Slug
    United Kingdom 

Yep my 1st D5, after 3 D4’s since 2012.
    I’ve not tried a D5 with AD but my wife has just got a new shape Evoque which we had ordered with it and it just rides so much better than her previous Evoque that it really was a ‘no brainer’ not to add it to the D5 order.
    If I’m true to myself I’m not sure about the D5, and wether it’s too good for me, and I should be waiting for the Defender to launch at the end of the year, but I’ve got a really good discount that won’t be available on the Defenders for some time too come I’m guessing.
    So I came to the conclusion that went along the lines of ‘sod it’ just get it ordered and move on.
    It’ll be great.
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

I think I remember your discount post - a brilliant deal that’s too good to turn down!

The D5 looks incredibly capable off-road, not that I know anything about such things (kind of hoping that changes over the coming years!). So hopefully a good choice for you - I’m guessing those tyres mean mud aplenty.

I preferred the more utilitarian exterior of the D4 line and I’m really interested to see how the defender turns out. It sure has taken them long enough.

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • Slug
    United Kingdom 

Well after some considerable ponderings, yesterday I cancelled my D5 order and transferred the deposit to a new Defender.
    Sad decision but with the vehicle unlikely to be delivered before August, I have decided to wait and see what the new Defenders look like.

The truth is that I'm really very happy with my D4, and the D5 just doesn't seem to tick all the correct boxes like the D4 does, and with the pricing going north of £65k, it really is a luxury too far, for what I use it for.

Hopefully the Defender will tick a few more boxes, it certainly looks promising from all the teasers that are starting to fly around.
    I'm sure that when I've specced a Defender, it will be silly money as well, but if the vehicle delivers something more than what I have now, then I can live with that, but to swap to the D5 involved to many compromises.
    It needs to make me smile and the D5 just doesn't do that.

All the best.
    Slug
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

Slug
    hope you dont tempt fate now with your D4................

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • Slug
    United Kingdom 

Ha Ha. I know it’s a risk but hey ho.
    I’ve owned from new & as it’s just 3 yrs old have taken LR extended warranty so not much else I can do.
    Whistle
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 

Good luck

Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

There was me naively thinking JLR might build the Defender in the UK, only just noticed its also going to be built in Slovakia with the Discovery. So the additional capacity in the UK is all being taken up by only the electric vehicles in future?

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 

Or shutting

• L90Andy
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Silicon Silver

Neither. Will be used to make even more very profitable Range Rovers and Range Rover Sports. Thumbs Up
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 

ah yes I just found the original announcement:

"Once redeveloped the site at Solihull will be produce the next generation of Range Rover and Range Rover Sport, which will be based on a new electrified platform. From 2020 all JLR products will be offered with some form of electrification, whether that’s hybrid, plug-in hybrid or pure electric"

So are the RRS and FFRR moving away from the same basic architecture as the Disco5? I assume they have found somewhere to stash the batteries on the D5 on the basis they claim everything will offer at least hybrid in less than a year....

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • RDR
    United Kingdom 

I have a feeling (and it is only a feeling) we won't see the D5 with PHEV or EV just Mild Hybrid to tick that JLR promise off. The Mild Hybrid battery is small and can be packaged in the D5 the PHEV is a problem due to the 7 seater arrangement. I guess they could offer a 5 seater with batteries in the space or we have to wait until the D6 comes along.

MY06 S - Gone but not forgotten, MY12 HSE - Gone, MY16 HSE Luxury - Gone, D5 MY20 D5 HSE - Gone
    MY23 Range Rover PHEV
  • Slug
    United Kingdom 

I'm not sure if I'm a bit of a "green neanderthal", but is the modern diesel really that bad??

I'm pretty sure our European cousins in Germany are still spending millions developing new technologies..
    To me it seems that it is mainly being driven by political ignorance, keeping the green movement happy, although I'm not sure they will ever be happy!
    Rant over.
    Thumbs Up
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 

Slug - not going to disagree, no one yet knows the long term environmental cost of recycling all of those batteries, which lose efficiency over time anyway. Any lets be honest, we are years off of a decent range from the battery power, since adding the PHEV batteries will add the 500kg back to the vehicle weight lost from D4 to D5.

A friend has a XC90 T8, he gets about 28 miles on electric power, then has a 300ps 2 litre turbo and super charged 2200kg SUV that averages 25MPG. My 2017 D5 Td6 never gets down to 25mpg in overall use only on the odd journey or when towing.

• Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum